• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Offer English Dub of Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyron

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Is this a good starter for someone who's never seen a space opera before?

Hell yes
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Funimation won't probably release the old movies that Voyager released, a proper, remastered release that was newly dubbed of those including Final Yamato would be great, but probably won't happen.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Nyron wrote:
I wish we could ignore the connection to star blazers here and instead focus on how this is by far the best scifi anime japan has put out this century

Its not just for people who liked the 1970s space scoobydoo show

I hope it has a real dub and not "herp derp argo"
It certainly is a bit weird. Some titles like Voltron have a recognisable name. But Star Blazers doesn't seem, correct me if I'm wrong, a lot of nostalgia. So they could just go with Battleship Yamato 2199. Anyone who will buy it, is not going to do based on the name recognition of Star Blazers.

I honestly don't know why people are speculating whether it will have the Japanese or old US nomenclature. It's pretty clear that they're sticking with the Japanese names.

The official title on Funimation's website (and the title of the ANN article) is Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199, so going by that, and by this summary on Funimation's website:

Quote:
"The power-hungry Gamilas have taken over Earth, and only a distant planet has the key to save humans from extinction. Granted the schematics of a high-powered engine, the Space Battleship Yamato is built to traverse the galaxy and retrieve hope for their survival. Battling extraterrestrial forces along the way, the crew of the Yamato will stop at nothing to save their home.

then it's clear it will be the Japanese nomenclature.

Add to this the fact that the artwork used clearly shows detail of Kodai's and Mori's name patches on their uniforms (both their own names and Yamato's).

Now does that sound like they're going anywhere near the names Argo, Gamilon, Wildstar, or Nova?

And one last reason they won't revert to the English names? spoiler[The name Argo has been repurposed in Yamato 2202.]

Last edited by ValkyrieZeroZeroOne on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Great news. It would be cool if we get a English dub on Toonami soon. I remember when the original show was on Cartoon Network before Toonami in the mid 90's.
Basroil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh, great! After years of waiting on Voyager to hopefully finish releasing the last two discs of Yamato 2199 I recently bit the bullet and bought the Japan boxset release for approx. $350.00. So rest easy friends since I bought the Japan version we are sure to now get a cheaper USA release. Evil or Very Mad

EDIT: On further thought, I would think if Funi is spending the money on a dub they are sure to be releasing it on BRD. They can't possibly recoup that kind of money from streaming.
VetRaptor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I feel your pain Basroil. I just got the Japanese Version for just under 300. And in the middle of watching it I just saw this announcement. Voyager just killed me with the lack of finishing the release after getting the 4 Blurays.

Downside is I saw something awhile back with Voyager and 2202 and I swear I hope it isn't true or if true falls through.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
VetRaptor wrote:
I feel your pain Basroil. I just got the Japanese Version for just under 300. And in the middle of watching it I just saw this announcement. Voyager just killed me with the lack of finishing the release after getting the 4 Blurays.

Downside is I saw something awhile back with Voyager and 2202 and I swear I hope it isn't true or if true falls through.

What specifically? I haven't seen anything (aside from the lack of a licence announcement) that would be detrimental to 2202 (and while that hasn't been announced, Voyager said in the past that they would market 2199 and 2202 as a joint package).

Last edited by ValkyrieZeroZeroOne on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:
CatSword wrote:

Hell yes

Star Wars is actually a space opera too, but most people don't think of it that way.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:53 am Reply with quote
HOLY SHIT! YES!

This is the best news.
Hopefully this is a good sign for 2202 as well, since that didn't even get subs.

CatSword wrote:

Yeah I definitely think so.
And this is a particularly awesome remake.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:26 am Reply with quote
Since the TV show is now 5 years, I think Funi would have it all dubbed by now. Sure, a lot of time/money is spent on simuldubs, but they also spend a lot of time on "DVD dubs". Then again, it took over 6 years for all of "Gosick" to have a boxset release with an Eng. dub.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Since the TV show is now 5 years, I think Funi would have it all dubbed by now.

not if they just recently signed off on it and its just now being delivered to them, which I would bet has happened
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

Very good starter. This arguably best craft one you can find in recent times.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:43 am Reply with quote
Good news for Australians too. It's listed to premiere 7am AEST on Thursday 9 November here.
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Some additional info. Funi have updated their website with a SB:SBY2199 homepage.

https://www.funimation.com/shows/star-blazers/

Some things to note:

1) It will be sub and dub. Found this piece of information when posting it to a couple of Facebook groups.
2) The series page lists 3 episodes, suggesting that they're going to post enough of the series at launch to whet the appetite of new viewers.
3) While there's a cast and crew list space, so far nothing has been added at the time of writing this.

Edit: Site now lists four episodes and has announced the voice cast for Episode 1:

spoiler[

CHARACTER CAST
Susumu Kodai: Chris Wehkamp
Daisuke Shima: Ricco Fajardo
Okita: Brian Mathis
Mori: Mallorie Rodak

Episode 1

Jiro: Apphia Yu
Dr. Sado: Kenny Green
Harada: Felecia Angelle
Hijikata: Bill Jenkins
Hirata: Jeremy Inman
Kato: Mike McFarland
Mamoru Kodai : Z. Charles Bolton
Nanbu Stephen Fu
Sanada Phil Parsons
Serizawa Doug Jackson
Todo Bradley Campbell
Tokugawa R Bruce Elliott
Yabu Ben Phillips
Yamanami Kent Williams
]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3