• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Land of the Lustrous

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I think Phos is a good protagonist but she is bratty, egotistical, and lazy so she is certainly a flawed protagonist.

I thought momentarily when s/he was being eaten that I wouldn't have cared if s/he died and someone less annoying became the protagonist.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 3: They completely fubar'd the timing on the "you'll get your insides dirty" joke. And the part where Diamond backflips through the trees felt a little too "look at what we can do with CG".

But the rest of the running sequence was nice, and I liked the way Cinnabar's poison got spiky when they got mad. Smile

Next episode preview: we meet the show's first spoiler[actually-female character, and the genderless-pronoun thing starts to get awkward...] Also, worldbuilding!
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:39 am Reply with quote
Ho, ho! Did y'all see how sick Diamond's moves were? It was like Tarzan 1999! Laughing

lebrel wrote:
Next episode preview: we meet the show's first spoiler[actually-female character, and the gender-less-pronoun thing starts to get awkward...] Also, world building!

There's no reason to put that under spoiler. We can see it in the previews. Also, that particular character is of the flesh, so it makes sense that it has a gender.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Lauren wrote:
I'm not a manga reader, so I'm coming into this clueless about the future. Will this be a set of one-off adventures in the gem world? Or will it deliver the development I crave, especially when it comes to deepening relationships between Dia and Bort or Phos and Cinnabar? It's too early to tell.

I am one of those reading the manga, and I can tell you that spoiler[Shit starts Going Down pretty shortly, probably starting episode 5 (maybe 4, depending on the pacing).]

Also, cute slug is plot-relevant, not just cute.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Ho, ho! Did y'all see how sick Diamond's moves were? It was like Tarzan 1999! Laughing

Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing when they did that entire Dia running sequence. I had to fight the urge to remember that Phil Collins song.

I have to say, Dia was little TOO good this episode to a point it kind of outshine all the other gems. Heck, even the official Twitter account made a collage of Dia, and if you click on that Japanese Twitter tag #みんな大好きダイヤモンド you get even more Dia love. It makes me a little worried that all the other gems that have yet to be formally introduced are going to have one hell of a time living up to Dia.
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see what rating this show will get starting from next week onward. Seems like they will be picking up the pace and adapt 3 chapters.

lebrel wrote:
the part where Diamond backflips through the trees felt a little too "look at what we can do with CG".

But that's like saying a 2D sakuga shot is "look at what we can do with 2D". Let the animators have some fun. Smile
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
lebrel wrote:
the part where Diamond back flips through the trees felt a little too "look at what we can do with CG".

But that's like saying a 2D sakuga shot is "look at what we can do with 2D". Let the animators have some fun. Smile

Yeah. They will only get better with CG if they continue making more things with CG. Anime smile
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I quite liked Ep 3 and made me start liking Dia a lot now. That was a very kind thing that Dia did for Phos and I wonder if they’ll have more friendly interactions together going forward. Cinnabar going off about Phos to Dia was also a nice revealing moment of characterization that I enjoyed. This show is currently in my top 3 for the season and things look to get even more interesting based on the preview for next week. Looking forward to it. Very Happy
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I thought momentarily when s/he was being eaten that I wouldn't have cared if s/he died and someone less annoying became the protagonist.
Phos is a flawed protagonist but since she was the underdog of the group it will make her eventual successes more meaningful. I am curious to see where the story goes with Phos now that she has Dr. Dolittle powers.

lebrel wrote:
And the part where Diamond backflips through the trees felt a little too "look at what we can do with CG".
Well when you are using CGI you might as well show off the things it can do well.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Niello wrote:

Chrono1000 wrote:
Well when you are using CGI you might as well show off the things it can do well.

But half of the rest of the episode is already a showpiece for CG awesomeness (Cinnabar's poison running through the grass, Diamond's zooming perspective); the tree sequence just felt overly kinetic and busy for no plot-related or aesthetic reason.
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
the tree sequence just felt overly kinetic and busy for no plot-related or aesthetic reason.

Tbh, what I like the most about the sequence is that now I have a clip I can point to, "Look! Gorgeous 3DCG". I have a tendency to get overly invested with underdogs, so this very important.
moogrin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:19 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the CG sakuga in the third episode, especially in the slug fight. It was also the first episode where I really enjoyed it all. And it didn't feel like a back to the status quo as the reviewer suggests. One of them kinds fused with a snail in an unprecedented manner, and the snail seems to have possibly absorbed some of her personality/memories (with how it reacted to and interacted with people) and now they have some kind of new connection and ability to communicate. Of the whole theme is about discovering new things about the world for this envy, this seems right up that alley.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:09 am Reply with quote
Niello wrote:

I quite liked it and thought it was the highlight of the episode. It was clear that the animators had put a lot of care and effort into it, and I enjoy watching anime where the creators infusing their work with fun.

Dia's movements also really help sell the gracefulness and finesse of these characters to the audience. The slender androgynous forms of the houseki are nimble yet elegant, and it is a treat to see one in full movement.

And of course Dia making such a big effort to rush to the snail's shell goes to emphasize how important Phos is to them. Regular 2D animation could also have achieved this, but utilising the full capabilities of 3D the show was able to convey Dia's emotions and drive in a more impressive way. And on a much tighter schedule, I'm guessing.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Ep 4: The boob-bouncing was totally unnecessary and silly, but dayum, did they go all out with animating the King's true form. She didn't come off quite as frilly and vain in the manga as she does in the anime, but I guess the change allows the animators to show off better. And that was pretty worth showing off.

Next episode: drama! And unless they reordered some events, it looks like the entire second half of volume 2 is going to be in that episode, which makes me a bit nervous about the pacing...
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
Next episode: drama! And unless they reordered some events, it looks like the entire second half of volume 2 is going to be in that episode, which makes me a bit nervous about the pacing...

Yeah, I'm very concerned about that, too. And I just finished reading volume 3 yesterday. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9