• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Princess Principal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping Amazon chooses to throw some more cash at this show. Studio 3Hz does not have a string of hits behind it to keep those yen flowing in. Flip Flappers did pretty poorly when it came to BD sales, too, leaving the studio a bit short on funds. Then Amazon stepped up to the plate, and we got Princess Principal. I'm all ready for season two.
zrnzle500 wrote:
Ange's (assumed) full name is Ange le Carré, which is presumably a reference to spy novelist and former spy, John le Carré.

I notice that earlier and smiled. It rather fits with the adoption of Wells's cavorite.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I'm hoping Amazon chooses to throw some more cash at this show...Then Amazon stepped up to the plate, and we got Princess Principal.

Keep in mind that this is a Sentai licensed show. It would not be impossible for Amazon to fund more of this show, but I have a hard time seeing that happen.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
I'm hoping Amazon chooses to throw some more cash at this show...Then Amazon stepped up to the plate, and we got Princess Principal.

Keep in mind that this is a Sentai licensed show. It would not be impossible for Amazon to fund more of this show, but I have a hard time seeing that happen.

I'm sorry. I don't see why Sentai matters. Amazon also carries Made in Abyss, another Sentai license. It has Bahamut Genesis, licensed by Funimation, and Ballroom e Youkoso to which Pony Canyon holds the rights. Bahamut Virgin Soul has no licensor as of yet.

So I see a company willing to buy streaming rights for shows whose disc rights belong to a variety of licensors. Amazon doesn't really care about them; it only cares about satisfying its Strike audience. (I presume Crunchyroll has the same attitude.) Princess Principal has a number of features like its setting and the use of English songs which might have appealed to Amazon.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
@yuna49

I assume Sentai matters somewhat in the equation. If not, Amazon would have sole rights to the show and Sentai would not be involved. And trust me, I am aware that Amazon has money to invest in anime content. If Amazon was willing to fund more seasons for some of the shows they have streamed, that would be great. In the particular case of Princess Principal, if Amazon funded more of it, I would want Sentai to retain home video rights.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
This was an OK ending, I guess, but I can't help wondering if the last two episodes would have been stronger if Okouchi himself had written them. I'm aware of many exceptions to the unwritten rule that a show's head writer has to script the finale, but I'd never seen someone write every episode of a show but the last two. I wonder what happened there.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:48 am Reply with quote
You call that satisfactory? That was a terrible ending. Nothing got resolved, all they did was put us on the hook for a sequel that may or not even happen.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:00 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
This was an OK ending, I guess, but I can't help wondering if the last two episodes would have been stronger if Okouchi himself had written them. I'm aware of many exceptions to the unwritten rule that a show's head writer has to script the finale, but I'd never seen someone write every episode of a show but the last two. I wonder what happened there.

I think you answered your own question. The fact that Okouchi wrote the first 10 episodes probably meant he couldn't write the final two. Work on those two eppies probably had to be finished while he was still writing the others so that the animation pipeline on them could begin to flow. I have just seen Shirobako, so naturally, I am a complete expert on how anime gets made now. Wink
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
No comments on this episode hitting the "beach episode" trope in the most amusing way? Laughing
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
You call that satisfactory? That was a terrible ending. Nothing got resolved, all they did was put us on the hook for a sequel that may or not even happen.

Episode 12 was not among the best, but the conclusion was adequate and satisfactory because things ended at a good stopping point, and it did not screw up anything. For all the things to be resolved a second season is needed. And I disagree that the ending put us on the hook for a sequel; we knew from that start that Princess wants to be queen, Unless the producers rushed things, we were not going to see a complete story in one cour.

Show that are or feel incomplete is the nature of modern anime series that are usually 12-13 episodes in length. I have been burned in the past with these short series, but Princess Principal did well because it stopped at a right place. I take a "their lives will go" ending any time. I had a nice time seeing this girls kick butt. If there is more Princess Principal in the future, great. If not, I am satisfied with what we got.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
No comments on this episode hitting the "beach episode" trope in the most amusing way? Laughing

I thought about bringing it up, but couldn't find a good place to fit it in. I was also amused that they did the beach scene but still stuck to the ultra-conservative dress styles of the time. I did like the little details there, like the bathing machine in the background which was an actual thing at beach resorts in the late Victorian Era.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
While I agree that it could've been better, this 12th episode was still a solid stopping point for the series. I had a very fun time with this show, more than I thought I would after the first episode. My fingers are crossed for a season 2 and I hope that the series does well enough in Japan to warrant that possibility. Also, allow me to say thank you, Mr. Theron Martin for your coverage of this show for the Summer 2017 season and I agree with you that this show was one the season's best. It was also my 2nd favorite anime of the season with Made in Abyss being my personal number 1, and it looks like both will be in some people's top ten anime of the year (mine included). Looking forward now to the anime airing in Fall.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I think you answered your own question. The fact that Okouchi wrote the first 10 episodes probably meant he couldn't write the final two. Work on those two eppies probably had to be finished while he was still writing the others so that the animation pipeline on them could begin to flow. I have just seen Shirobako, so naturally, I am a complete expert on how anime gets made now. Wink

It's just that I've seen Okouchi write every episode of at least two shows (Shigofumi and Code Geass R2), but come to think of it, he's also working on the Code Geass movies and Devilman Crybaby, so there must have been some overlap between all these productions, and something had to give.
Thaumana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

I understand where you are coming from. It could have been worse but still it's disappointing in the light of the past episodes. The escape and the last scene one the beach felt kinda strange because it's like the princess' oath and all the promises were nothing but hot air. Of course, she wouldn't let down all those people, but of all possibilities this beach scene seemed very anticlimatic after all the dramaturgical setup.

They even did not bother to miss the explanation where this L guy suddenly came back from. My first guess, when he has been replaced, was that this spy organisation had to deal with intern conflicts for severeal reasons which might have something to do with the princess or Ange herself.

Despite that fact it was still an enjoyable show and I am glad that I finally took notice of it after ignoring it for a while before I read the introduction column weeks ago. Thanks for this recommendation.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I would love this gets a S2 considering they definitely left a lot of plot seeds for future installments. The only thing that concerns me is how will they continue grow the girls' character development and relationships with each other especially Ange's and Charlotte's. Despite the main story not fully resolved, we finally see those 2 eye-to-eye in the last episode so where else can they go?

On a side note, man, I hope that if Sentai plans of dubbing this, they let a good UK dub studio handle it.
casualfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Great episode finale. I'm glad they all survived to the end. The whole guillotine line tho', makes it sound like the Princess loves the French Revolution too much. Current England, which is what I assume the show was based on, is one of the most prosperous countries and yet the monarchs are still around. Same with Japan. Peace and prosperity doesn't equal beheading of the monarchs. That line makes Princess sounds like the cliche' selfless hero who just loves sacrificing herself. Other than that, I really enjoy this episode and the show as a whole. Definitely looking forward to second season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7