• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux Game's Opening Anime Video Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Japanese voices only is still a major letdown for this game's eventual release overseas.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That made me want a Strange Journey anime adaptation really badly. I can't wait for the remake!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Japanese voices only is still a major letdown for this game's eventual release overseas.

It's funny though every other SMT was english only and for some strange reason this game is japanese only.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

It's funny though every other SMT was english only and for some strange reason this game is japanese only.

I think it's a storage situation, where they just can't fit both on the 3DS game cart. But for SJ their just keeping costs done. I'm cool with it, I prefer original language.
DRWii

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

The only other game they left in Japanese I can think of is Dungeon Travelers 2 (a super niche title), so "low expectations" seems a likely explanation. It's possible the original DS version's sales weren't great, or they're afraid the 3DS audience might dwindle significantly by the time it comes out.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I think it's a storage situation, where they just can't fit both on the 3DS game cart. But for SJ their just keeping costs done. I'm cool with it, I prefer original language.

I don't see why they'd need to fit both. It just needs an English dub since every portable SMT title did up to this point. It's fine for you and all, but not everyone prefers Japanese. The main character is North American in the overseas DS release and the rest of the cast aren't even Japanese in nationality. Seems like a wasted opportunity to me.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

I think it's a storage situation, where they just can't fit both on the 3DS game cart.

You do have to kind of wonder though how both Bravely Default games were able to do it.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

The only other game they left in Japanese I can think of is Dungeon Travelers 2 (a super niche title), so "low expectations" seems a likely explanation. It's possible the original DS version's sales weren't great, or they're afraid the 3DS audience might dwindle significantly by the time it comes out.

That (is 3DS still considered popular?), plus Persona became Atlus's major franchise, and SMT is not.
I was going through the original SMT games up-ported to PS3 as a warmup while waiting for Persona 5, but can't recall--Where is Strange Journey in the SMT canon?
DRWii

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Where is Strange Journey in the SMT canon?

I, NINE, & II (in that order) are one timeline, while IV & Apocalypse are part of their own multi-verse; if..., Nocturne, and Strange Journey are all self-contained.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1