• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Brock & Misty Return to Pokémon Anime After 15 Years

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Ew who let Derick J Wyatt design the original trio because they look awful. Like they look really really bad, trash level in fact
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
Quote:
Both characters haven't appeared in the show together in 15 years.

Misty did guest star in Advanced Generation, which had Brock as a regular. So their last appearance together was in 2006, only 11 years ago.

Also, if they can get them back for these two episodes, why couldn't they get them back for the movie? Makoto and Souji were basically just Misty and Brock lite.

Kasumi was also in Best Wishes Episode #116, a flashback-heavy episode entirely key animated by Iwane Masa'aki. Takeshi was also in the episode, although neither spoke.

Makoto and Souji were used in the film to be different. That's all.

MadHi wrote:
And people said Gundam AGE looked bad.

For me, this is the Transformers: Animated of Pokemon. It is just horrible to look at, especially when compared to what came before it. They talked about wanting to make it easier to animate and in shorter amount of time but it's so overly simplified that they don't even put effort into even putting creases on their clothes, and shading is so minimal there's hardly any depth, they look completely flat. Also, I don't know if it's just me, but I find that most of the new cast actually look fine, it's the original cast that look overly bubbly.

EDIT: To be honest, while it's nice to see the original trio back again, the entire Sun and Moon property has been rather lackluster for me. The games are a step down from X and Y I'm already waiting for the next Gen after Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. The anime's art and tone is a put off, that I'm now waiting for the the next series and hoping it will revert to the cooler art style of the XYZ anime. And there aren't many new interesting Pokemon I'd want to use in my party. In fact, when I transferred my X and Y Pokemon to Sun and Moon, I was disappointing that I couldn't bring them back because I wanted to continue playing those instead.

Have you actually watched any episodes? There's ton of detail in the animation.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:25 am Reply with quote
I get that the new character designs can be jarring, but honestly I really like the overall art style. It all moves so fluidly, and creates a far better atmosphere than the previous more generic anime look. I had the same reaction looking at Ash when the series premiered, but I'm sure Brock and Misty will look fine.
elior1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote
JacobYBM wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:
Quote:

Misty did guest star in Advanced Generation, which had Brock as a regular. So their last appearance together was in 2006, only 11 years ago.

Also, if they can get them back for these two episodes, why couldn't they get them back for the movie? Makoto and Souji were basically just Misty and Brock lite.

Kasumi was also in Best Wishes Episode #116, a flashback-heavy episode entirely key animated by Iwane Masa'aki. Takeshi was also in the episode, although neither spoke.

Makoto and Souji were used in the film to be different. That's all.

MadHi wrote:
And people said Gundam AGE looked bad.

For me, this is the Transformers: Animated of Pokemon. It is just horrible to look at, especially when compared to what came before it. They talked about wanting to make it easier to animate and in shorter amount of time but it's so overly simplified that they don't even put effort into even putting creases on their clothes, and shading is so minimal there's hardly any depth, they look completely flat. Also, I don't know if it's just me, but I find that most of the new cast actually look fine, it's the original cast that look overly bubbly.

EDIT: To be honest, while it's nice to see the original trio back again, the entire Sun and Moon property has been rather lackluster for me. The games are a step down from X and Y I'm already waiting for the next Gen after Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. The anime's art and tone is a put off, that I'm now waiting for the the next series and hoping it will revert to the cooler art style of the XYZ anime. And there aren't many new interesting Pokemon I'd want to use in my party. In fact, when I transferred my X and Y Pokemon to Sun and Moon, I was disappointing that I couldn't bring them back because I wanted to continue playing those instead.

Have you actually watched any episodes? There's ton of detail in the animation.
pepole talked about sun and moon anime design awful since the poster has been released so it no surprise
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
Hee, this brings me back to the last time I actually gave a damn about the franchise. Brock just looks...flat, and Misty is off too. NuAsh still looks like someone scribbled a damn mustache on his face.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:55 am Reply with quote
20 years since the start of the anime yet they all somehow look ten years younger. I guess that what happens when you just so happen to be one of the first generations to watch the original series. But nice to see that they'll be reuniting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:25 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
pauladls wrote:
Yeah, Modern anime look like that

Ugghhh, you can tell exactly when the moe-blob craze started.

They are both moe, just in different ways. It's what you're used to.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:48 am Reply with quote
Oh, so happy to see Misty and Brock! Now, I have to backtrack at least 250 episodes...
jrockfreak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:58 am Reply with quote
i dont really mind the character design that much its kinda cool they are appearing again
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
For me, nearly 30 years old and still a Pokemon fan (games, anime) a feel a bit ashamed xD

I'll be 29 in October and I'm still a hardcore fan.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
Apparently, the fandom exploded by the time this news started popping up.

But then and then again, I bet it will all erupt down to Misty vs. Serena when it comes to the shipping wars. Just saying.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
Why do all three look like shit, though? This can't be too hard, they managed to get it right 20 years ago, too. https://qt.vidyagam.es/4TtF3KT.jpg

...Your example comes from when the anime used a different art style that it presently isn't using.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
It's good to see Brock and Misty come back to "Pokemon." It's been a long time in coming and I hope it goes well.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
From the trailer it looks like THE Jigglypuff is coming back as well.

JacobYBM wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:
Quote:

They were both credited with their VA's although I personally didn't hear Misty in that episode. Brock definitely had a line when they saving Charmander.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:35 pm Reply with quote
After being out of the spotlight for 13 years, I'm eager to see Jigglypuff's reappearance in Sun and Moon! Smile Its singing was great...even with its huge potential of putting me to sleep...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3