• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nozomi Ent. Launches Kickstarter for Aria the Animation English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Now this is the sort of dub Kickstarter that makes far more sense than the Escaflowne boondoggle. I've been kind of curious about this show for a while, and this would be a fun way to spring for it. Lord knows I've sent enough money RightStuf's way over the years. Very Happy

i wouldnt say that. the orignal dub for escaflowne was medicore at best and only became worse when it tried its disastrous attempt showing on tv. like with the original sailor moon series, escaflowne needed a brand new english dub and to be frank , funi did one decent job with the dub. and it more or less benefited in some case the career for van's VA.

aria on the other hand, should have gotten an english dub a long time ago right alongside a number of rightstuff titles. especially emma.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
We will be half way to the goal by the end of the first day. Shocked

I don't see whats wrong with my choice of not watching certain animes until it has a dub. I also lose interest in most animes once Animplex usa license's it, but thats my choice.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I want this so much that I've gone and finally purchased a multizone BluRay player so I can watch it!. Aria on Bluray .. plus a dub as a bonus?! Definitely a happening thing!
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Just past the halfway mark of 55,000 after exactly 27 hours.

you can also see projections and daily stats useing Kicktraq .com
https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/160939828/lets-dub-aria-the-animation/#chart-daily

Using Kicktraq I have been comparing Aria The Animation daily data to how Skip Beat Kickstarter did. So far after the first two days Aria the Animation is going to blow right past how Skip Beat did.
https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/85938147/skip-beat-official-north-american-release/

Last edited by chrisc1978 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
As for not understanding the line of thought of not wanting to watch subs, it's not rocket science. What's so hard to understand about people wanting to listen to a product in their native tongue when possible?

When people flat-out say they won't watch a show if there's no dub. The show this thread is dedicated to is from 2005.

We're not having the billionth insipid discussion about acting here; this show has existed for 12 years and apparently, a small group of people have decided for themselves they never need to see it if it's not in their native language. What in the what.

Rinkwolf wrote:
having no dub does put a show on a lower priority list than those that do. And with broadcast dubs, the shows with no dub actually get pushed lower on that list as new show come into view.

It really comes down to convenience at that point and dubs are more convenient than subs for the many English speaking anime fans.

Just going to quote myself here, in case my previous comment is too hard to dig up.\

I can speak for myself and say that this has been exactly the case, I was interested in the show but at the time other show with dubs were coming out (Full Metal Alchemist, Eureka 7, Ergo Proxy, Shuffle) and this one just kept getting postponed with every new show that came out after it but had a dub (Soul Eater, Code Geass, Gundam 00) and this one just kept getting pushed lower on my priority list.

But truth be told, there have been shows I know about and know they would get dubbed so I didn't watch them purposefully because I was waiting for the dub (Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~). The only show that I found warranting to watch subbed are ones that take place in Japan. But than you have shows like Attack on Titan, with only ONE Japanese character (half Japanese) and people still bitch and moan about how the Japanese dub is better. For goodness sake, all the characters of European decent. Giving them Japanese voices make it weird for English speaking audience. And don't even get my started on Baccano and Black Lagoon, those show are two whole different experiences for a Native English speaking anime fans.

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:

When people flat-out say they won't watch a show if there's no dub. The show this thread is dedicated to is from 2005.

We're not having the billionth insipid discussion about acting here; this show has existed for 12 years and apparently, a small group of people have decided for themselves they never need to see it if it's not in their native language. What in the what.

A small group of people, some of which have seen it subbed and some who have not, who in just over 1 day have already halfway completed the crowdfunding goal. I'd say that it's more than just a small group at this point. I also fail to see what this show's age has anything to do with it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
@Psycho 101

I think what is causing a problem here is not that some people prefer to watch dubs. Rather that we have had a couple of people flatly state that they will not watch Aria or other anime if it is not dubbed. I think this attitude is extremely short sighted as there are a great number of shows that have not been dubbed and never will that are really good.

I was going to comment earlier, but I decided that such an approach to anime is their loss. Certainly it is no worse than someone who refuses to watch anime at all.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:12 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:

His and Her Circumstances is a definite winner in terms of the dub; Veronica Taylor turning in arguably her finest performance ever as the female lead.

Inarguably, her best performance is Seven of Nana as the female leads... "Nana (all 7)" as the encyclopedia now amusingly puts it. I have the show just for that. I also have His and Her Circumstances and the thing about that show that sticks out in my mind isn't the dub. That show just burned through its budget, didn't it?

And finally ending my work week, I am backer #534. I have all those Aria box sets so I do love the show as is but I am not against the idea of getting an HD dubbed bonus collection. I have to support this, it's my favorite Sato show even with its bloated second season.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
Upon seeing the dub vs. sub debates getting brought yet again, it's like that and shipping debates have become the major taboos conversations of anime. The 3 major taboos of conversations are usu. sex, politics, and religion.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
The entire series or just the first season? Neither this article nor the Kickstarter actually mention an episode count.

For $100k, I'd assume it would just be the first season, but I don't know how low non-union NYC actors will go.

Currently this is for Season 1. If successful we can perhaps add additional seasons as a stretch goal or another kickstarter. Season 2 is 26 episodes vs 13 for Season 1.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Awesome.

Yeah, the kickstarter mentioned the box would have space for future seasons so that probably implies first season.

Yes, the box will have room so you can have all of the seasons in it.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I honestly don't know. If Nozomi stated that they would contract it out to Funimation or Sentai then I'd get a good idea what it could sound like but this could be anything.

We will be using Headline Studios for this, which we also used for Boogiepop, His and Her Circumstances, and The Third. We have access to people all over, so it may not restricted to NY actors only. Cast will be put in updates as added.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
atyamamoto wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
I'm definitely going to back this. My question is though what is the difference between the $55 & $60 tiers? In the description on the right they're identical but on the chart on the left it says the $55 doesn't get the BluRay set. So what's the actual difference between them?

Thank you (in advance^^) for your support!

$55 and $60 are the same reward -- $55 is the early-bird pricing.

I just checked the chart, and indeed it needs to be corrected!!! The $55 tier gets the Blu-ray set (and the $95 tier too). You are the first person to catch this error! We'll get it fixed ASAP.

This should be corrected, and as Ann said, thanks for catching it. It was right in the rewards tiers, but not in the infographic.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
aquadon1963 wrote:
I will be donating because Im a full fledged DubLover ...and there are sooooo many highly rated OOP titles that don't have a dub ..not to mention blu-ray as well..
And its great that Nazomi / rightstuf is trying to rectify this as best they can .
You Go Nazomi !!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVED your " Irresponsible Captain Tylor" project ...
great job!

I loves my Tylor.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I also noticed this line: "Directed by Junichi Sato, who also directed Sailor Moon, Princess Tutu, Magic User's Club, Kaleido Star, Tamayura, amongst others, and has also been involved with almost 100 programs in various capacities, including series composition, storyboard, theme music, supervision, and scriptwriter."

What did he ever do for theme music ever? All I can find is some lyrics for Gate Keepers. Is that all?

Innocent Venus
Eccentric Family
GateKeepers
Slayers Premium
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6