• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - GATE

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
My favorite show with an awful dub. When your Kamina gets outclassed by both actresses playing Nia, you really should have rechecked actor availability. Was Crispin Freeman busy? You have to believe Kamina, no, you to believe the him that believes in you, you got to really believe him right to the heart... and that is very similar to what Freeman did in Code Geass, especially that one scene from season 2.

Yes, it'd be clichéd and easy casting but it would be the right casting. There's also Chris Sabat, David Wald, Brett Weaver, all with "booming voices that issue forth conviction". It's got to be a voice that shakes the heavens right down to the core... because plot. Even if they scored a bullseye in every other role, they didn't but even if they did, that one performance takes down the whole thing.
Awful dub... If that's an awful dub, what's a good dub??? I mean sure maybe you can make the argument about Kyle Hebert doing a bad Kamina, he's in less then half the show. And the other performances are great. This has to be Yuri lowenthals defining role, he did an excellent job at it. Other voices such as Nia,Yoko Kittan and Viral are great. In fact I can't think of any bad performances. They managed to make a show that was both daft and silly, but also heartfelt and passionate, a hard combo to get right.

I've seen the ADV dub, and maybe it is not enough tp judge it on, but Bretts Kamina wasn't very good.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
other than that , its not too bad. especially its dub. however what did griped me is that this series like this got a second season while a very solid series like tokyo ravens (which i already ordered my copy) dont get one just because of one reason.

Huh? Tokyo Ravens has as many episodes (24) as GATE does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Also gotta love the rational that because the gate exist in japan everything on the other side is therefore the property of japan, and the show actually roll with that rational.

It makes perfect sense if you are talking about that claim to the nations of Earth. You can bet, that if there was an actual StarGate at Cheyenne Mountain, the United States would be making that claim also.

Now the realms and kingdoms on the other side of the Gate might not like that, it does make sense when applied to the nations of planet Earth.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I get the rationale of Japan staking a claim. I just think their portrayal of Japanese military preparedness being godlike and American military being bumbling fools was extremely ridiculous. Let's be real, if such a gate opened in Japan tomorrow and the Americans said "we're going in," that is exactly what would happen. Granted, it would probably be a joint operation, but Japan is not going to actually stand up to the Americans any time soon.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It makes perfect sense if you are talking about that claim to the nations of Earth. You can bet, that if there was an actual StarGate at Cheyenne Mountain, the United States would be making that claim also.

I completely disagree. The US would claim (if word of it got out) that the *Stargate* (and thus the use of the Stargate) belonged to them. I can't see them claiming (or anyone accepting) that the lands beyond the Stargate belonged to them. It would be absurd in Stargate: SG1, just as it was absurd in Gate.

So, no, I don't think the claim made by Japan in the series makes the least bit of sense, nor would anyone outside of Japan have accepted it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
The Gate lies within the national borders of the nation of Japan. No one else has access to the Gate. Japan can do whatever they want, and they don't have to provide oversight to foreign nations and organizations.

Though the most practical path for Japan would have been to keep this as a secret. Failing that, lie, lie, and lie. Since that is no longer feasible, they need to go all in, and harvest all they can in magic, creatures, special people, and resources. Cause they are going to need it to survive as a nation. This would be true for any other nation is a similar position.

The 'have nots' will always be a problem.

As to the Stargate, the intent would be for mining resources and perhaps colonization. A lot of the worlds they visited had massive uninhabited areas. Those that were inhabited could be traded with.

Though the problem will again be the 'have nots' who will insist on equal access, even though they don't have to right to do so.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Possession is nine-tenths of the law, to most people, most of the time. And access equals possession in practical terms. Pardon me if I use 'most' and 'practical' to leave a little leeway.

For example, Antarctica is open to all by treaty, and many nations have built scientific stations there, some with their own resources, but most of the supplies are flown around by American government aircraft. Rumor has it that when diplomats back in the home countries have said silly things about who 'owns' Antarctica, the US has played 800 lb gorilla and dropped hints about changing supply schedules to remind people of the reality of the situation. I think the scientists wish all such silliness would just go away.

It is not that there is a right or wrong side, just that power flows from access. Antarctica may be a poor example, because as its resources are not thought valuable now, so the 'claims' are pretty much a joke. If, say, an alien spaceship crashed there, things would get interesting sooner or later. But for now, the US controls much of the practical access, and some tiny power flows from that. I don't want to give the impression that the US abuses anything or anybody, it's just an example of practical reality.

So if Japan is attacked thru the gate, and they control the access to the gate, then the power of access is theirs, and any benefits are theirs. Until it closes. Confused

As for the show, I thought it was as fun a fantasy as anything with elves in it. Smile
That it was also a love letter to the JSDF, like John Wayne did with the movie the Green Berets, well, that was something I kinda had to tolerate to watch people fight dragons. I don't know Japan well enough to know if it's a symbol of serious national nastyness or not. I hope not.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
other than that , its not too bad. especially its dub. however what did griped me is that this series like this got a second season while a very solid series like tokyo ravens (which i already ordered my copy) dont get one just because of one reason.

Huh? Tokyo Ravens has as many episodes (24) as GATE does.

if you do it like that format. but technically GATE 1st cour is 12 eps while the 2nd cour is also 12 giving it 24 eps. aldnoah zero did the same thing of sorts. even though their 2 season in the series, the 12 eps from season 2 are numbered like their one whole season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Awful dub... If that's an awful dub, what's a good dub???

lol is this a trick question?

I haven't watched either Gate or Gurren Lagann via dub and probably never will.

Not to say there are no good dubs out there.. 2 off the top of my head were Hellsing and GTO..
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I get the rationale of Japan staking a claim. I just think their portrayal of Japanese military preparedness being godlike and American military being bumbling fools was extremely ridiculous. Let's be real, if such a gate opened in Japan tomorrow and the Americans said "we're going in," that is exactly what would happen. Granted, it would probably be a joint operation, but Japan is not going to actually stand up to the Americans any time soon.

whatI found the most dumb was teh americans "back stabing" japan so too speak, for half the nations of the world (so to speak not an exact number) a peaceful negotiation while giving the usa access to the gate is the most likely outcome and japan is one of said nations (basically, any nation that is in very friendly terms with the usa and/or has usa military bases)

Quote:
It also dumps the standard teenage hero for a Japanese - in his mid-thirties

funny thing, most of the novels are like that, and the highschool mc is the minority , at least conting the popualr ones, yet anime wise what we get is the higschool kid ones >.<
(adn we get anything from I was lazy in my previous life so I will work hard in my second life, to overworked to death in my previous life , so I will just be lazy in my second life as well as all sorts of professions since modern world knowledge can be game breaking in fantasy world (like leilei is hinted to do in gate) ).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
The Hidamari Sketch release had me excited for a moment. I thought I had missed the announcement at some point that they FINALLY licensed and released the Graduation arc.
Nope... it took them two years to follow up the DVD release of Honeycomb with the Blu-Ray. nice. I'm glad I decided the art of the series (though great and expressive in its minimalism) did not require BDs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2