• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Violet Evergarden Anime Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:43 am Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Netflix monopolizing on the Anime industry cannot be good especially since it takes them awhile to release the series. I'm fine with waiting so long since Netflix dubs every series they release but most Anime fans are so inpatient that they resort to piracy which is not good for the Anime industry. Sad

But thats Funiroll. Can't back talk the holy saviour I guess.
olgita

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As someone who is from Holland who can not legally stream anime dubs from FunimationNow for example. I dont find it a big deal at all waiting that long since i wouldnt be able to watch it legally at all.

As someone who is from Poland, I second that. I'm always annoyed when I hear the complaints from Americans about anime on Netflix, when at the same time they have Crunchyroll and Funimation, and Hulu, and Amazon Prime.... Besides Netflix, we (in Poland) have f"ckin' nothing.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:05 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile, I'm glad and happy because Netflix must have spent a lot of money to get the streaming rights, which directly benefits the creators, especially since KyoAni on the production committee.
Random Name

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:13 am Reply with quote
olgita wrote:
Quote:
As someone who is from Holland who can not legally stream anime dubs from FunimationNow for example. I dont find it a big deal at all waiting that long since i wouldnt be able to watch it legally at all.

As someone who is from Poland, I second that. I'm always annoyed when I hear the complaints from Americans about anime on Netflix, when at the same time they have Crunchyroll and Funimation, and Hulu, and Amazon Prime.... Besides Netflix, we (in Poland) have f"ckin' nothing.
VPN maybe?
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:14 am Reply with quote
Meh, I'll just turn to the dark side like I did for LWA and currently for kakegurui. I got a Netflix account but I never wait.
Draconix814

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:56 am Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:
Lol, can't wait for Netflix to go bankrupt so they can stop messing up anime simulcasting.

Boi, they're already 20 billion in debt, but that obviously isn't stopping them.
chronos02

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
Well, this sure seems like a heated debate, unfortunately I'll have to give the deffault winning place to those deffending the weekly simulcast.

Yes, deffault win. If you fail to understand why, go study some management, marketing and a bunch of other things, otherwise, become a true hardcore fan and you will also understand why (in another way, but it is still the same).

However, from what I have been seeing, Netflix simply doesn't give two s**ts about the hardcore anime fan, their strategy is focused on something else: the casual viewers. If you haven't noticed, Netflix doesn't sell BDBoxes or merchandise, they only sell the weekly sub, and that means that what they care about is a rich catalog for the casual viewers to watch, and by casual viewers I don't mean the general market, but casual viewers of each and every video entertainment market, in this case, the casual viewers of anime series. They don't watch homungous amounts of shows like we do, they don't watch them weekly, and they are prone to watch 3-4 episodes per session. And most important of all, they don't usually share their experience on forums and the like, maybe some casual talk with their IRL friends, but that's it.

What Netflix wants to do is transform the niche called Anime into mass market content, to get a more stable revenue instead of depending on BD sales, which also allows to keep afloat not so famous titles.

And yes, you guys that keep deffending Netflix with their 4-6 month delay for a series are casual viewers, you wouldn't say that otherwise. And who the heck considers itself a reference when they work in a ship? Seriously, it's respectable, but most people are fixed in a house and watch their stuff there weekly, not with months of delay due to their trips.
NBlaze53

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:19 am Reply with quote
To those defending Netflix and calling others "Impatient", tell me. Do you go see a movie 3 months after it came out in theaters and still expect anyone to be talking about it? It's about the community! Interacting with people and talking about the twists and turns as it airs. Instead with Netflix people get "Oh, that show? But it aired months ago" whenever they bring it up in conversations. You can't theorize about what the next episode might hold weekly with friends. Netflix ruins what many find appealing about anime as it airs, the speculation and conversing between the community.

Sure binge watching is better for a personal experience, but as a collective it's much more fun to watch shows together. Not to mention people who watch this on Netflix will have to avoid spoilers as it airs in Japan and as it pops up on fansub sites. Netflix's business model for anime does nothing but hurt the community and there is no defense for it. Sure they're great for the individual and the casual who don't care about air dates or conversing. But for the collective community of anime fans that make up message boards just like this, they are a detriment.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
I disagree there is no way a steak can be undercooked...you should of went with chicken or changed it to overcooked.

Well assuming it isn't still going "moo" then you got me there, but it was the wee hours of the morning.

AtoMan wrote:
Stop being self-entitled pricks because for once you are not the ones who gete everything when the rest of the world have to rely on pirated or fansubbed content.

Would you still accept that kind of reasoning when you ask for a raise but your boss tells you that over a billion people are living off of less than the equivalent of $1.25 per day?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
This sucks. Looks like I will need to pirate Violet Evergarden. I usually don't get upset with Nexflix's anime distribution model because I don't care much about the anime they license, but this is different. One of the most anticipated anime series in years, from fan favorite studio Kyoto Animation deserves a simulcast.

I am happy to support Crunchyroll and Anime Strike because they do simulcasts.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Would you still accept that kind of reasoning when you ask for a raise and your boss tells you that over a billion people are living off of less than the equivalent of $1.25 per day?

How is that comparable to anything?

NBlaze53 wrote:
To those defending Netflix and calling others "Impatient", tell me. Do you go see a movie 3 months after it came out in theaters and still expect anyone to be talking about it? It's about the community! Interacting with people and talking about the twists and turns as it airs. Instead with Netflix people get "Oh, that show? But it aired months ago" whenever they bring it up in conversations. You can't theorize about what the next episode might hold weekly with friends. Netflix ruins what many find appealing about anime as it airs, the speculation and conversing between the community.

I do.

Especially tokusatsu movies, that get no release outside of Japan and we'll have to wait until a BluRay comes out in Japan and gets fansubbed. And, for the record, it's not much different for anime here, except we can pirate the official subs in a matter of hours. No official release, no dub, pretty much same thing. On the other hand, Netflix handling it means official means to get it, both subbed and dubbed, for the price of waiting a bit. I'd take it over no chance to see it legally at all.

If noone talks about a movie or show a month after it aired, then it must have been not a very good one. I'd take quality over quantity, thank you very much.

NBlaze53 wrote:
Sure binge watching is better for a personal experience, but as a collective it's much more fun to watch shows together.

What's stopping you people from doing just that? People do just fine with other Netflix shows, why would anime be different?

NBlaze53 wrote:
Not to mention people who watch this on Netflix will have to avoid spoilers as it airs in Japan and as it pops up on fansub sites.

So just like everyone else does on a daily basis?

NBlaze53 wrote:
Netflix's business model for anime does nothing but hurt the community and there is no defense for it. Sure they're great for the individual and the casual who don't care about air dates or conversing. But for the collective community of anime fans that make up message boards just like this, they are a detriment.

The community got hurt with the instant access to everything to the point you guys DEMAND the stiff to be available to you within hours. Look, I understand how Internet era made it unacceptable for have a year-long delays with everything - even theatrical releases, which was a norm in the 90s - but those still happen. Do you think every TV show airs worldwide at the same time? Most of the shows I watch either don't get licensed here at all.

Now, thanks to Netflix, the number of shows I could watch legally greatly increased. How is that a bad thing?

Protip: Netflix has several ways to contact them. Make complaints to them. If there's enough of it, they might reconsider the way they put out the shows, especially given they do, in fact, weekly releases for several shows.

Those who say monopoly is a bad thing - yes, it is. But you are pretty much protecting Crunchyroll monopoly with attacking Netflix for trying to cater to the niche audience.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:

Because it's a functionally identical red herring, just another variation of "Somebody else somewhere else already has it or used to have it harder than you do, so you shouldn't be complaining."
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
AtoMan wrote:

Because it's a functionally identical red herring, just another variation of "Somebody else somewhere else already has it or used to have it harder than you do, so you shouldn't be complaining."

Except you can leave such job immediately, so no, not identical at all.

Or rather, you can just try and convince Netflix they should switch to simulcasting anime because that's what the market demands.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Oh, No! Shocked That was my most anticipated show of next year. I mean I will wait for it, but I would have liked to watch it weekly. Guess Ancient Magus Bride won't have as much competition in the Winter. Just move to making original anime already, Netflix.

This describes my feelings exactly. I won't resort to piracy; it is just not that important, and despite my annoyance, I can adapt to the direction the industry is going. It sucks, but undermining the industry as a whole is not an excuse for me. I'll try to avoid spoilers, and look back on the days when it took two years to get a show stateside and after all of the companies I loved going out of business after the bubble popped. Single volume releases, retail markdown, a death rattle? Ridiculous, but piracy did not help any of them either. As the way of consuming media is changing, hopefully Netflix will realize sooner than later how much a growing fanbase is unwilling to put up with this bullshit, thankfully but with extreme impatience and very real sense of betrayal.
Aydın Tekin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Can crunchyroll not make a partnership with netflix like funimation or can't netflix not do someting like sponsor crunchyroll?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8