• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What the Hell Just Happened in Vatican Miracle Examiner?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scherzo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Curious, is the reference to Danganronpa meant to be a dig at that series? I have sort of weird appreciation for the series; on the one hand it's pretty unabashedly trashy in a lot of ways but on the other I've been pretty unironically into both its characters and lore, at least prior to the DR3 anime.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
As a (non-Catholic) christian, I have been watching this show with trepidation, saying to myself, "this isn't going to end well". After all, who better to write an anime based on the Catholic church than the Japanese?

Dang it, I hate it when I'm right!
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna let you finish, but the *best* animated examples of Hitler resurrection attempts are from the Venture Brothers:
This Dog Is Hitler
and Rick & Morty:
Abradolf Lincler

Seriously, I haven't seen one episode of Vatican Miracle Examiner yet, but its lack of self-awareness sounds like the worst part. "Bringing Back Hitler" stories have been done to death, and rarely well (Look Who's Back, the German Mockumentary, is a good, chilling, exception to that rule, though.) If you're going to do it without anything important to say, its best to have your tongue firmly implanted in your cheek.

This article was hilarious, though. Even if I don't check out the show, I'll continue to read your take on it!
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:13 am Reply with quote
I never read one of these editorials, i will never do it again after this one but let me make one thing clear. Hitler Has Only Got One Ball
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler_Has_Only_Got_One_Ball
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
This is all the more entertaining to read after just watching a documentary about the Pope in WWII (who authorized multiple attempts on Hitler's life and had an impressive spy network).

I had a premonition this show was gonna get crazy from the PV's, but holy sulfuric-water--stuff! Wasn't expecting this!
As a non-Catholic Christian, I was thinking about (respectfully) attending a Catholic service out of curiosity. This anime now makes me feel like I have a sacred duty to, now.

I eagerly await an episode about the Pope revealing himself to be a Lovecraftian abomination who faked the moon landings so he could trick King Authur into unleashing JFK's true assassin, Elvis Presley.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I have been watching this show since episode 1 and after episode 3, I was this close to dropping it. Before episode 4, I only had the super specific references to Christianity and relationship between the two leads to help get me through each episode. And then Hitler came and saved anime yet again. Episode 4 is super intense compared to it's predecessors and I was invested through like 100 % of the show (instead of my normal 10%).

So for you lucky viewers who are joining into the series now: Be patient because Vatican Miracle Examiner can be really damn slow.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:
As a non-Catholic Christian, I was thinking about (respectfully) attending a Catholic service out of curiosity. This anime now makes me feel like I have a sacred duty to, now.
I don't mean to dissuade anybody, but it is truly a shame when non-Catholics show interest in the Holy Mass, since now we have this Novus Ordo nonsense. Nothing beats the good old Tridentine Mass.
Otaku-mama73

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm crying. Not sure whether I should be glad that I dropped this anime after 3 episodes because boy does episode 4-5 sound like fun!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Aw hell, if you slogged thru the first three eppies, you may as well watch at least the fourth before throwing in the towel. If the occasional batpoop craziness is your thing, your time will not be wasted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3