• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Pictures TV to Acquire Majority Stake in Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
FlareKnight wrote:
There is nothing good that can be pulled from this. Sony's film division has been a mess. Really don't want that kind of nonsense near Funimation. Not that Funimation is perfect, but they are a fairly large entity in getting anime out here.

Didn't they technically make Spiderman Homecoming, or was there something else going on there?

They worked with Marvel's FIlm division on that. From my understanding Sony's basically just there they didn't do a lot of the work on this.

It's like Marvel did the whole class project because he couldn't trust Sony and Sony just gpt to his name on the paper so he got a grade.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
This can either be the best thing to happen or the worst thing to happen. Either North America's largest anime distributor gets a large financial boost, or Japanese interests supersede the North American market, everyone is scrambling to try and find a fix, and a lot of anime ends up out-of-print for a long time.

Animegomaniac wrote:
macattack wrote:
Before everyone freaks out because of the Aniplex elephant in the room:

Funny, my first thought was of a Japanese company obtaining ownership of a North American distributor of Japanese licenses. My elephant is bigger than yours. Seriously, with the number of red flags I'm seeing, it must be a bull elephant...
I fear both of these. A business model mirroring that of Aniplex USA would be devastating for consumers. At the same time, Japanese involvement has always gone horribly (ADV and Geneon immediately jump to mind).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Unless the price or quality goes up or down, I'm not too affected.

I'm not paying Aniplex prices, that's for sure. It's like they punish you for being an anime fan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
This is terrible news. Sony is a major conglomerate, and these companies are just fodder to them. The minute one little digit's out of place, Funi's getting thrown under the bus. That's how these guys work.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Snakebit1995"]
encrypted12345 wrote:
FlareKnight wrote:
Didn't they technically make Spiderman Homecoming, or was there something else going on there?

They worked with Marvel's FIlm division on that. From my understanding Sony's basically just there they didn't do a lot of the work on this.
It's like Marvel did the whole class project because he couldn't trust Sony and Sony just gpt to his name on the paper so he got a grade.

Marvel did--Sony gave the character back to Marvel to use in their movies, but the legal RIGHT to make films titled "Spider-Man" still belonged to Sony. (Paramount's issues with Iron Man and The Avengers were already ironed out at the beginning of their deal.)
Same thing with Universal, as to why we haven't gotten more movies with Hulk.

And yet, Sony still wants to be "competition" to Disney/Marvel, by reminding them they hadn't given back Venom, Black Cat or Miles Morales, so there.

CatSword wrote:
Hopefully they don't try to merge FunimationNow and Crackle. Shocked

There was TALK, IIRC, of spinning off an Anime Crackle a while ago, if Sony could make a deal with Animax, but nothing came of it.
Meanwhile, Sony's exclusive ownership of Valkyria Chronicles, and Animax's Nodame Cantabile dub are still MIA.

Basically, we're still in post-Amazon freak-out mode of jumping every time a corporation makes an anime deal, and saying "What if the big mean people take ALL our anime away?", but there's very little most of the established companies can make inroads into.

If Sony decides to do a Sony Funimation stream, let's hope it's not as fatally messed-up as Crackle's is right now...
Never mind the stagnated stoner-friendly catalogue, has anyone yet figured out how to shut off that stupid pop-under "What's On" video, and stop Joe Dirt from playing automatically whether you selected it or not?
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
What do you think the odds are Sony buys them but stays hands off and continues to basically let Funi operate as an independent entity under their umbrella.

My worry is more that Funi's already got a good formula and I don't want a new chef buying the restaurant and changing recipes so to speak.

In the long run there's no chance of Sony not making changes in how Funimation operates. However, it likely will be a while before anything substantial happens.

I don't think there will be all that big a shift in the Anime licensing scene.

Mark Gosdin
Waraich

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:

Sony Pictures TV =/= Sony Music, which is the branch of Sony Aniplex operates under. Sony Pictures TV acts mostly autonomously from Sony Music.

What this means for Aniplex licenses, FUNi pricing, the future of Texas dubbing, etc. is up in the air. We'll just have to wait and see what Sony Pictures TV does with their new acquisition.

You are forgetting the whole "One Sony" strategy that Kaz Hirai started pushing in 2012 with the big restructuring. Very likely that they will be working closely together. You can see this already happening with Playstation and all the other Sony divisions.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I dislike the idea of Funimation being bought by a large corporation. Like others here, I hope this doesn't mess up the R1 anime industry.
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Just don't like the idea of the Sony Borg doing this. Not happy.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
Hopefully this will be an arrangement like Disney has with Pixar and Marvel where Sony TV owns Funimation but continues to let them do things their way without much interference. Hopefully this means we might also get a blu ray of Blood+ in the future as well.

I'd like a release of the 2001 Cyborg 009 anime series. Sony never did finish releasing it Mad
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
RIP, after Mike DuBoise from Universal helped ruin things and make them sloppy, now Sony Pictures US is probably going to further make them a mess of a company I despise. The "FUN" in FUNimation which has been missing since a little before Mike even came in is probably never going to come back now.

On a different note, something I find interesting, Sony isn't buying FUNi for that much more than what Navarre bought them for.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Navarre+buys+FUNimation

And that was back when FUNimation wasn't one of the big boys, ADV Films and Geneon Entertainment were the kings back in those days until Geneon went under, ADV's Sojitz deal fell apart (which is one of the main reasons they declined), and FUNi got to get their hands on so many titles.
macattack wrote:

Sony Pictures TV =/= Sony Music, which is the branch of Sony Aniplex operates under. Sony Pictures TV acts mostly autonomously from Sony Music.

What this means for Aniplex licenses, FUNi pricing, the future of Texas dubbing, etc. is up in the air. We'll just have to wait and see what Sony Pictures TV does with their new acquisition.
Additionally, Aniplex USA is owned by Aniplex Japan, which is owned by Sony Music Entertainment Japan, not the US division of Sony Music Entertainment.

For anyone worrying about prices, keep in mind Sony Pictures US has released anime before, at prices similar to what the industry was charging on average. Don't expect any price changes, I mean hell, FUNi's prices have remained largely the same since 2008/2009 (which further destroys the argument they're too high).
v1cious wrote:
This is terrible news. Sony is a major conglomerate, and these companies are just fodder to them. The minute one little digit's out of place, Funi's getting thrown under the bus. That's how these guys work.
A conglomerate that is bleeding money outside of PlayStation, Aniplex, and a very select few other divisions.
https://twitter.com/ultimatemegax/status/882932827880402944
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-financials-reveal-playstation-accounts-for-78/1100-6442233/
https://www.google.com/search?q=Sony+Pictures+Loses
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/rumor-sony-is-considering-selling-off-columbia-pictures-and-tv-studio-a148356#.WIPU-9miP70.twitter

Last edited by BigOnAnime on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, if this IS going to happen, I'm at least hoping they keep the same acting facilities instead of constantly knocking on Bang Zoom's door, and that the quality of their overall releases goes up. While no one likes Sony's film business, I highly doubt they'll have any creative control in the matter.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Should we be worried? Should I break out the bottled water and get the bomb shelter prepped for the possible ensuing fallout?
Random Name

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation CEO Gen Fukunaga will retain his position and a minority stake in the business.
If this is the case I doubt much will change until someone new takes over. Its not like he could run Funimation forever anyway so this could be a good thing in the long run.
scriver058

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:15 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
Hopefully this means we might also get a blu ray of Blood+ in the future as well.

This, and maybe some exclusive content for the PlayStation side, were my best case scenarios early on for this deal. Also, maybe the original Blood the Last Vampire movie gets a new release? If Manga Entertainment doesn't have the license anymore, that is.

But yeah, hoping Sony just lets Funi continue to do it's own thing for a long time, their track record in the anime industry isn't great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8