• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Persona 5 Game Gets TV Anime Series in 2018 (Updated With Video)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
None of the recent Persona MCs have truly canon names. Note the Persona 4 MC had different names in the manga, anime, and stage play adaptations. The spinoff fighting games and all used the name from the anime just because.

Considering Atlus stated the spin-off games are canon, it's reasonable to consider "Yu Narukami" is canon as well, unless they eventually use a different name or just say "nah, the spin-offs don't count anymore."
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
I really hope P5 doesn't get over-milked like P4 did. I'd rather not wait a decade for "Persona 6."

Well it doesn't look like Atlus will be doing remakes of Persona 1 and 2 and ports of 3 and 4 so that's one issue out of the way.

residentgrigo wrote:
PS5´s script and characters are just ok and the 3rd act is even downright bad (how many fake deaths were there?),

2?

residentgrigo wrote:

It was the gameplay that made the game good, yet even these aspects worked better in the portable versions of P3/4.

3 got turned into a point and click adventure that barely had any animated sequences and temporarily locks certain social links at a certain point.

Golden like 3 continued the redundancy of randomly generated dungeons, social links that the game wouldn't really tell you when they were available outside of the tower, devil, & hierophant (along with giving you ones tied to clubs that are locked the week before testing), gave you boring fetch quests that were successors to 3's rescue missions, locks you out of the ending if you make the wrong decision at two crucial points one of which is fairly easy to do, despite 3 letting you play as a secondary main character not repeating it just cause. Oh and has a trophy requiring you to read all books in one playthrough which is not only tedious because you can only read at night but also because one of the books can only be obtained from an event only obtainable from a specific social link.

So definitely YMMV in terms of which games does gameplay better especially as all three games have problems that persist in all of them like the games locking you out of all activities because of testing or pointless filler.

residentgrigo wrote:

It would be ironic though if the anime had better looking animation that the IG cutscenes found in the game. Those looked worse than the in-engine ones! That IG of all people would fumble so hard.

They weren't remotely close to being that bad.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I wish Persona 1 and 2 got this kind of star treatment.
LuScr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Note: the video on the official website is region-locked to Japan.)

Is this a trend, now? They're region-locking trailers?
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
The trailer certainly got the style down. Now I wait to see how A-1 Pictures messes up.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I wish Persona 1 and 2 got this kind of star treatment.

Same here
However, those games had different writers,directors,etc. so I doubt that would ever happen
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:31 am Reply with quote
LuScr wrote:
Quote:
(Note: the video on the official website is region-locked to Japan.)

Is this a trend, now? They're region-locking trailers?

Aniplex has region-locked all of its YouTube videos for years, this includes all trailers and commercials.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote
Lizzie_B wrote:
Same here
However, those games had different writers,directors,etc. so I doubt that would ever happen

Hence why I said wish. XD
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Persona 4 the golden animation was unessary and that's one of the reasons why it's bad, this could be really good though, they could give characters like Haru more development who didn't get much in the game.

This is a great opportunity to rework Haru in the overall story because my god, having her getting roped in spoiler[Morgana running away (which that in itself felt like padding)] felt really unfair for her. Hell, it is a great opportunity for other aspects of the story that could use some smoothing.

Of course when it comes of anime adaptations of video games especially JRPGs, pleasing the audience and "fixing" the story and characters is always a tricky tightrope (Tales of Zestiria the X, anyone?).
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
XerBlade wrote:
None of the recent Persona MCs have truly canon names. Note the Persona 4 MC had different names in the manga, anime, and stage play adaptations. The spinoff fighting games and all used the name from the anime just because.

Considering Atlus stated the spin-off games are canon, it's reasonable to consider "Yu Narukami" is canon as well, unless they eventually use a different name or just say "nah, the spin-offs don't count anymore."

Think they never really had a name for the P3 protagonist, since they hadn't done P3 anime before the P4 ones.
Yu ("you") Narakami was the accepted name for the P4 protagonist, but when the P4A games had the P4 characters meet the P3 characters, the issue was clear that the protagonists were two different people, even though the P3 characters thought Yu was so oddly reminiscent of "....him."
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
The trailer certainly got the style down. Now I wait to see how A-1 Pictures messes up.

People are really hard on A-1, but it's not like everything they touch is junk. It's best to see who they get as a director first before making a judgment.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
theNightster wrote:
Persona 4 the golden animation was unessary and that's one of the reasons why it's bad, this could be really good though, they could give characters like Haru more development who didn't get much in the game.

This is a great opportunity to rework Haru in the overall story because my god, having her getting roped in spoiler[Morgana running away (which that in itself felt like padding)] felt really unfair for her. Hell, it is a great opportunity for other aspects of the story that could use some smoothing.

Just finishing up watching the first-season (game-plot) P4 Anime on Hulu, and got through the summer mid-series-break episodes that used "Nanako follows Yu" as an excuse to work in all the social-link side-quest stories about the daycare mom, the nurse, the shrine fox, and the old widow.
The game anime doesn't always have to follow the series plot for plot, if it can streamline a few of the more unnecessary side elements in for a few filler episodes, as long as it keeps the central story.

The whole P5 plot with Morgana running away seems to take forever in the game, but I can see the anime skimming over it in two episodes.

Quote:
Of course when it comes of anime adaptations of video games especially JRPGs, pleasing the audience and "fixing" the story and characters is always a tricky tightrope (Tales of Zestiria the X, anyone?).

Okay, since I hadn't yet gotten hooked on the Zestiria game yet, I took no notice when the anime came out--
Any particular problems I should avoid with the ToZtX anime? (Seeing as the game itself was almost 65% cutscene-anime and funny-ensemble dialogue to begin with.)

Last edited by EricJ2 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
DRWii wrote:
XerBlade wrote:

Think they never really had a name for the P3 protagonist, since they hadn't done P3 anime before the P4 ones.
Yu ("you") Narakami was the accepted name for the P4 protagonist, but when the P4A games had the P4 characters meet the P3 characters, the issue was clear that the protagonists were two different people, even though the P3 characters thought Yu was so oddly reminiscent of "....him."
which is pretty funny because if we're going by the anime versions Yu wasn't an emo teen who didn't give a shit about dying and Makoto wasn't a dude with swag with a sister complex
DRWii

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding your post, but I was referring specifically to the P4 MC; I wasn't trying to say Yu Narukami should be the canon name for all previously un-named Persona MCs (amusing as that would be Wink ).
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Okay, since I hadn't yet gotten hooked on the Zestiria game yet, I took no notice when the anime came out--
Any particular problems I should avoid with the ToZtX anime? (Seeing as the game itself was almost 65% cutscene-anime and funny-ensemble dialogue to begin with.)
I'd say play the game first then watch the anime, as the anime went into it's own direction spoiler[possibly to please the fans of Alisha]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4