• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Wildly Impractical Giant Robot Designs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:13 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Cyberphobe wrote:
Nobody better touch Cowboy Bebop. It's perfect,

Minus never really explaining Spike's past in detail, Julia being a shoot the shaggy dog story, and Jet and Fey effectively sitting back while Spike goes off to settle his feud with Vicious for the final time (ambiguously).
I love Bebop, but Julia was really not implemented well out all. All we know about her is that Spike loved her, and we only see her in a few flashbacks. When she finally does appear she dies after one episode, in a scene which I assume we supposed to be sad about.
killjoy_the wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
For Sunrise sequels, I'll go with Daily Lives of High School Boys.

That's an adaptation though, right?
So is Outlaw Star.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:45 am Reply with quote
Just saying, but it seems the crazy mecha designs from G-Gundam are undoubtedly leaning towards Super Robot territory.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:56 am Reply with quote
So I voted Valvrave but wouldn't mind Buddy Complex too.

I just spoiler[think they should bring Haruto back because he shouldn't have died dammit! ] lol
uguu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Gonna go ahead and just get Gurren Lagann out of the way. The show's titular mecha definitely qualifies in the weird design department, but the overall tone of the show makes it clear the staff are in on the joke

What joke? Cartoony design that's not meant to be realistic?

Giant humanoid robots are inherently unbelievable. It's not a "joke" to take advantage of that and go for full stylization.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:06 am Reply with quote
The Sunrise produced series I want a sequel most of all is the Banner of the Stars/Seikai no Senki series.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
Nobody better touch Cowboy Bebop. It's perfect, and making a sequel will likely do to the IP what the sequel and OVA's did to Darker than Black, which is ruin it.
I get that Gemini of the Meteor was bad, or at least not very good. But I thought the OVA series was pretty good.
Poppun-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
In terms of impractical robot designs I'd like to mention one that I'm surprised wasn't on here since even the show of origin itself acknowledges it as impractical: The Grand Keron from Keroro Gunsou. The title character is a fan of Gundam and eventually he and his group get giant robots of their own, the first batch of which combine to form The Grand Keron which has one fatal flaw; the bipedal component robots don't really change when they connect are are still controlled by five individuals with somewhat dicey team unity so the Grand Keron can't walk.

Not only do they get stuck by this the first time they use them, but they forget the thing can't walk and get stuck by it again later in the season
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:37 am Reply with quote
T&B really could use another TV season. However, I should really watch the dub. As soon as I find another job, then I will resurrect my Hulu account.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
uguu wrote:
Quote:
Gonna go ahead and just get Gurren Lagann out of the way. The show's titular mecha definitely qualifies in the weird design department, but the overall tone of the show makes it clear the staff are in on the joke

What joke? Cartoony design that's not meant to be realistic?

The idea I got out of it is that Gurren Lagann made no attempt to look or feel realistic, and everyone who worked on the show knew it. Some other series, notably those in the Gundam franchise, go to great lengths to try to convince the viewer that what they're seeing is plausible, whereas Gurren Lagann made no excuses and functioned entirely on whatever they felt would look good.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Which original Sunrise anime is most deserving of a sequel?

A complicated question, as "deserving of a sequel" does not imply wanting or even the opinion that said anime needs a sequel.

For instance, Cowboy Bebop. My favorite anime. Fine just the way it is. 26 episodes wrapped it all up how it needed to be and the movie was just a bonus. Does it deserve a sequel, in the sense that it's superior to the other titles on the list? Yes. Would I be for a sequel? Not likely. But by technicality, it does "deserve" a sequel because "deserve" implies it has earned the merit over the other titles of being so good I would want to see more of it than anything else based on existing quality.

I may be overthinking the question, however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop shouldn't have a sequel but I'd be totally down for a spin-off featuring Cowboy Andy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Minus never really explaining Spike's past in detail, Julia being a shoot the shaggy dog story, and Jet and Fey effectively sitting back while Spike goes off to settle his feud with Vicious for the final time (ambiguously).

You don't need to know his past. Not every little thing in a story needs to be explained. Mystery is part of his character, and if you actually sit down and watch the show you will see that. If you want to watch something that constantly holds your hand, their are other shows for that. As for Julia being shot, was that really a surprise? The story was built it up to that inevitable conclusion. Again, if you actually sat back and watched, you would know why Jet and Faye stayed behind.

Quote:
They find the galactic ley line don't know where they'd go from there.

Because the sequel never got out of pre-production we never got to find that out, but if you watched the very end of the last episode you would have realized that the creators had set it up for a sequel. The sequel was supposed to take place 3 years after the original series with the Outlaw Star crew now split up after an argument broke out over their future as a spaceship crew.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I love Bebop, but Julia was really not implemented well out all. All we know about her is that Spike loved her, and we only see her in a few flashbacks. When she finally does appear she dies after one episode, in a scene which I assume we supposed to be sad about.

I agree that Julia could have been handled better, but would you really want to risk the reputation of this series over a secondary character?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
You don't need to know his past.

....This would make sense if Jet and Faye didn't get episodes focusing on their pasts and if Spike's past didn't feature into a least 5 different episodes along with the ending. Saying that just comes off as excuse for the writers either getting lazy or copping out.

Cyberphobe wrote:
Not every little thing in a story needs to be explained.

If that's the case you shouldn't constantly hint at it and then cold feet just because.

Cyberphobe wrote:

Mystery is part of his character, and if you actually sit down and watch the show you will see that.

While Spike did have a mysterious element to him (which wasn't character exclusive) the series never at any point and time hinted that his past would forever remain a mystery even up til the final episode.

Cyberphobe wrote:
If you want to watch something that constantly holds your hand,

Wanting something explored that constantly lingers around in a narrative isn't hand holding. And not exploring that even with all the time or hype invested into it doesn't make a story/character good or justifably complex it comes off as faux deep writing at best and pretentiousness at worse.

Cyberphobe wrote:
As for Julia being shot, was that really a surprise?

Considering how she was another part of Spike's unexplained past hyped up (and subsequently done away with to little fanfare) and right after she and Spike reunited?.....Yes.

Cyberphobe wrote:
The story was built it up to that inevitable conclusion.

Yeah in the final two episodes not the other 24 that preceded it. YMMV definitely applies to so called "inevitability".

Cyberphobe wrote:
Again, if you actually sat back and watched, you would know why Jet and Faye stayed behind.

I've watched Bebop 6 times and still doesn't make much sense.

Cyberphobe wrote:
I agree that Julia could have been handled better, but would you really want to risk the reputation of this series over a secondary character?

Given that said character was practically there for the sake of being there and subsequently stuffed into the fridge in the final episode? I don't really see how the series would've been hurt in anyway giving more to her character, besides just being Spike's ex-lover.

Cyberphobe wrote:
Because the sequel never got out of pre-production we never got to find that out, but if you watched the very end of the last episode you would have realized that the creators had set it up for a sequel.

Just because it was setup for a sequel doesn't mean they necessarily would've had a justifiable reason for a sequel let alone the sequel being any good given how shaky anime fans can be about sequels to works they love..

Cyberphobe wrote:
The sequel was supposed to take place 3 years after the original series with the Outlaw Star crew now split up after an argument broke out over their future as a spaceship crew.

Okay and where's the overarching narrative/mystery that ultimately leads to them reuniting?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3