• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Do Manga Artists Think Of Dirty Doujinshi?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
When it comes to creator-owned comics (often the publishers own the comics), consulting their official site helps with getting permission. That is, they may have a section that says something to the effect of "you can commercially use my works without paying royalties. I only ask you do give me some recognition (like "based on [title] by [author]") and that it conforms to your local or national laws".
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:50 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
How is selling doujinshi, which is atype of fanart and fanfiction, completely legal? Is it simply because it was made and originally sold in another country?

I cannot make a fan-comic of, say, Spider-Man and sell it here in the United States.

I think it'd be more accurate to say "who the hell cares?!?" Copyright usually comes down to "who is complaining/threatening a lawsuit". And simply put, none of the Japanese companies have enough presence to complain about a bookstore selling doujinshi of their works in America. There's a SMALL chance you'd get problems if they were selling doujinshi for Disney/Marvel properties, since Disney tends to aggressively defend it's copyrights, but if the stores steer clear of major US property doujinshi, no one cares.

For comparison, there is a long, long, LONG history of Asian markets selling/renting bootleg Asian TV shows, including anime and dramas. They've done that for literal DECADES and still do that today. There's a Japanese market here in town with a wall of discs with typed/printed covers that're clearly just burned off copies from the internet or something. That store has had that stuff for all the years I've stopped by it. And I've never seen them getting any hassles. Because the Asian community appreciates getting entertainment from home and none of the authorities have any reason to go digging around in there. It's not like the copyright office has a million people canvasing the country looking for violations in every small store across the country.
Tsuruhami

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Oh dear, yet again it seems someone hasn't done their research.

Quote:
Seeing fujoshi interpretations of male friendships is a slightly newer thing, but the fujoshi has been such a boon to the shonen manga market that many series flagrantly hint at gay relationships just to pander to these fans.

2. Series flagrantly hinting at gay relationships? I'm sorry but can you please give examples of those many major shounen manga series that hint at actual gay relationships instead of simply applying m/m fanservice for shippers? ...Yeah, though so. What's actually happening is editors, having finally realized the buying power of this particular segment of the audience (and the self-sustaining nature of fandom that can also sustain series by buying merchandise, etc. even if there's no anime adaptation airing) cater to them with homoerotic subtext, which then fans can enjoy in whatever way they want. Homoerotic subtext =/= actual gay relationships (this is actually one of the issues LGBT critics tend to point out).

Yup. I've often heard western anime fans casually throw "This anime is so gay!" when they refer to close m/m friendships (Jojo, Free, etc etc). Heck, those characters canonically attracted to women, and never stated that they want to date men. But yeah... totally hint a gay relationships Rolling Eyes

Next time someone said "This anime is so gay!" it better feature two men in a romantic relationships, not two men that developing strong friendships, and in the end of story, they date women.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
How is selling doujinshi, which is atype of fanart and fanfiction, completely legal? Is it simply because it was made and originally sold in another country?

I cannot make a fan-comic of, say, Spider-Man and sell it here in the United States.

I think it'd be more accurate to say "who the hell cares?!?" Copyright usually comes down to "who is complaining/threatening a lawsuit". And simply put, none of the Japanese companies have enough presence to complain about a bookstore selling doujinshi of their works in America. There's a SMALL chance you'd get problems if they were selling doujinshi for Disney/Marvel properties, since Disney tends to aggressively defend it's copyrights, but if the stores steer clear of major US property doujinshi, no one cares.

For comparison, there is a long, long, LONG history of Asian markets selling/renting bootleg Asian TV shows, including anime and dramas. They've done that for literal DECADES and still do that today. There's a Japanese market here in town with a wall of discs with typed/printed covers that're clearly just burned off copies from the internet or something. That store has had that stuff for all the years I've stopped by it. And I've never seen them getting any hassles. Because the Asian community appreciates getting entertainment from home and none of the authorities have any reason to go digging around in there. It's not like the copyright office has a million people canvasing the country looking for violations in every small store across the country.

Sometimes, it feels like the enforcers scour the whole landscape looking for violations. But the cases I can think of have all been highly visible examples, like day cares, fan games, and presentations at school, examples where the people enforcing these copyrights could stumble across them or hear about them from someone else, and they are always the copyright holders of American properties. (Though I do remember Toei being quite angry that pre-release pirated sources for One Piece popped up when FUNimation started simulcasting it.)

I've seen vendors selling bootleg things myself, and I guess they're low-profile enough to slip under their noses.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
The recent Yuiko Tokumi news reminds me that Keiji Gotoh was clearly OK with her drawing his characters because not only did he draw a guest page for at least one of her Nadesico doujin, he had her draw one of the Eyecatches for Kiddy Grade.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Is there a law that states that doujinshi can only be sold at events like these? I'm wondering because the Kinokuniya in Little Tokyo in Los Angeles sells doujinshi (it's on a small table near the registers), and I never gave it any thought because I thought they could be sold anywhere as long as the owner of the premises allows it.

All the physical doujin I own was bought at Comiket and then resold (I've got them from Yahoo Japan for example, and at least doujin-specific site - although I think all the ones I've used are gone now).

leafy sea dragon wrote:
I keep seeing mention of doujinshi artists who work solo. Are there any writer-artist teams, like what you see in official manga?

Definitely. Doujin generally come from groups called "circles", although there are paradoxically a lot of "circles" with only one member. Other circles are composed of multiple artists who will all have their own sections within a book. CLAMP started life as a doujin circle and out of the remaining members I don't believe Ohkawa does any drawing work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:46 am Reply with quote
I bet people are wondering when a manga copyright expires. Thanks to that stupid Berne Convention, a book or comic will expire at least 50 years after the death of the last surviving creator.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Definitely. Doujin generally come from groups called "circles", although there are paradoxically a lot of "circles" with only one member. Other circles are composed of multiple artists who will all have their own sections within a book. CLAMP started life as a doujin circle and out of the remaining members I don't believe Ohkawa does any drawing work.

Wow, so there can even be more than two people to a team. That's pretty interesting and something I didn't even consider. (I am a one-person gaming "clan" though, so I can understand a one-person "circle.")

It always amazes me that there can be so many people in Japan, proportionally, who dedicate themselves to both drawing and writing whereas that's comparatively rare anywhere else, but I always thought that, if you're doing it as a labor of love, you'd get a better end product if you have a dedicated writer and a dedicated artist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5