• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Man Arrested for Stealing 101 Manga Volumes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I think this guy's truly epic maneuver was taking them in the middle of the afternoon in broad daylight.
That's how most shoplifters get away with it. A "professional" shoplifter whom one of my professors had talked to stole watches by walking in, picking up the entire counter display, then walking right out. Of course, he was arrested eventually, but this actually worked very well for quite some time.

The more brazen and authoritative you act, the less likely anyone is to question it. Acting nervous and scared makes people instantly suspicious. If you act like you own the store, it's entirely possible you can con people into thinking you do.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
*sigh* This isn't to say people should still manga. But:
This is why some crimminals piss me off. I'm not saying he would have got away with it but he should have left with the first bag. Hit another store or something. That was his other mistake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Angel_White_Wings

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quote
I agree with the first post though. That's absolutely ridiculous.

I have a question as well though. Why is manga expensive here and sold for about $10 per volume, while in Japan, it's about $5 per?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
What an idiot and I'm amazed that he was able to get away with that much. I wonder how much he would have got if he had sold them.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
¥410 x 101 = $375.72
Quote:
60,000 yen

¥60,000 / ¥410 = 146

Coupled by the fact that it did not explicitly say total value. Which admittedly was an assumption on my part. So I was simply confused by the wording, and the numbers not quite adding up didn't help either. I also didn't take into account that certain bookstores might charge a premium price, hence the $5 a volume.

Oh God.

Has the news or I said all of those 101 volumes had to be either Detective Conan or Hana Yori Dango? Didn't you see "and other manga?" Seinen / josei titles are typically larger and more expensive than shinshoban; some are up to ~¥800 a volume.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:45 am Reply with quote
Poor guy. It is sad that his debt led his to a path of crime. I hope they go easy on him if it's his first time.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:59 am Reply with quote
Yes, IGIN Dormcat. And trying to explain what I thought, only seems to encourage rampant exasperation, AS USUAL. Rolling Eyes

And just because things are worded correct, does not always mean they are worded well. Which is not even what I was getting at. But I think something is lost in translation, because your response was not taking into account what my reasons(line of thought, think flow chart) were, only the outcome. Which I already said I was confused over before, due to various reasons. So I really don't know what to say, except I thought it made it sound like those were somehow more valuable than the rest of the manga, shoot me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:53 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc: after re-reading each and every post you wrote I finally figured out how you misunderstood the news.

The news wrote:
He is suspected of stealing Detective Conan, Hana Yori Dango, and other manga worth about 60,000 yen (US$500)

Dargonxtc _probably_ read it as if the news wrote:
He is suspected of stealing Detective Conan {that worth about 60,000 yen (US$500)}, Hana Yori Dango {that worth about 60,000 yen (US$500)}, and other manga [that] worth about 60,000 yen (US$500)

In my eyes the news wrote:
He is suspected of stealing {Detective Conan, Hana Yori Dango, and other manga} worth about 60,000 yen (US$500)

Another factor was that you had no idea how much a volume of manga costs in Japan.

Dargonxtc wrote:
And trying to explain what I thought, only seems to encourage rampant exasperation, AS USUAL. Rolling Eyes

It was because of your way of speech. Everyone makes mistakes, but instead of making fun of yourself e.g. "silly me," "gawd I goofed this time," "oops" or using Embarassed emoticon, you wrote it as if (in my eyes) kept saying "that's my reasoning and you HAVE to understand and forgive me."

Dargonxtc wrote:
shoot me

I'm honored to be your modern-day kaishakunin. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:46 am Reply with quote
Wait a second... isn't there some kind of rule here about two people who interpret an article differently both coming to see the other's point of view?

You guys are going to break the forum!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:59 am Reply with quote
How about let's make it simpler for people right now: manga in Japan can cost anywhere from 400-1600 yen, and possibly beyond that price when you buy it brand new. The price will depend upon the format that the manga is printed on, as well as having color pages in the volume, which guarantees a mark up in price.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:09 am Reply with quote
I have 2 questions. One, how big was this bag? I mean 50 volumes per load would mean this should be a damn big bag. If it wasn't it makes the answer to my second question all that more pathetic, because that means he would have had to take time to meticulously place each volume in the bag as if playing tetris. And that second question is how in the hell did no one spot him doing this IN THE STORE. I mean it was an employee at another store that saw him with them outside. How in the hell do you put 50 volumes of ANYTHING into a bag with no one noticing? Even if they are that blind how do you not notice the gaps from all the manga? And then to let him get a second batch is just sad. I'm not saying he had any right to steal but good lord those people at that store needs to get their acts together and wake up.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:15 am Reply with quote
psycho 101 wrote:
I have 2 questions. One, how big was this bag? I mean 50 volumes per load would mean this should be a damn big bag. If it wasn't it makes the answer to my second question all that more pathetic, because that means he would have had to take time to meticulously place each volume in the bag as if playing tetris.

Had to be a shopping bag with the handles. And it would depend on what he stole. Some manga is smaller than US releases.

Quote:
And that second question is how in the hell did no one spot him doing this IN THE STORE. I mean it was an employee at another store that saw him with them outside. How in the hell do you put 50 volumes of ANYTHING into a bag with no one noticing? Even if they are that blind how do you not notice the gaps from all the manga? And then to let him get a second batch is just sad. I'm not saying he had any right to steal but good lord those people at that store needs to get their acts together and wake up.

Cultural question. Who can answer it?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:21 am Reply with quote
That is not a cultural question. That is a how are the store employees so damn blind to allow that. I don't care where you are or what country your store is in it's a universal principle to not want your stuff to be stolen. That's bad for business no matter where you are.
abominaSion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:39 am Reply with quote
One way to avoid suspition is to simply ask the cashier for a bag big enough to contain about 50 manga. If the bag has the store logo on it, walking without paing would be a breeze. I'm sure he didn't do this, but it's worth trying.

And when you do this, do it with this expression on your face Cool
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
I think it depends upon whether or not the store was two stories or more tall. If that was the case I can see how he could get away with trying to walk out with the manga. If he did walk out with one of the store's bags, coming down to the first floor people will assume that you've already paid for it. At times also stores could be understaffed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3