• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Apocrypha Anime to Premiere on Netflix on November 7

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I had the same thought. Those pirating the series will be friggin' DONE with it by the time Netflix users get a chance! smh

Well, I'm a netflix user... but I'm not waiting to watch Fate on netflix...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Yes because heaven forbid people have to wait any length of time for something now a days. Rolling Eyes Look, I get we're in the simulcast era now. Things have changed since the "good ole days" of dvd single releases. We can get anime faster than ever before. However, the fact that so many people treat waiting a few months, and thus turning to illegal means to watch something, as some huge crime makes me laugh at the sheer entitlement attitude being shown. I fully admit Netflix has a sketchy history with anime but at least it's only a few months with Fate/Apocrypha.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:09 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
Plus whatever you think of Netflix's dubs/subs, the quality would likely be worse which I don't know is desirable for most.

Just like Netflix does not produce anime (they pay professional studios to do them), they do not produce dubs (they pay professional studios to do them), so I do not know from where you are saying that a simuldub from Netflix would be worse. It would imply more work from Netflix (coordinating with the japanese studio on getting the scripts and the videos on a timely manner) no doubt, but since they have the money they can hire as much people as required.

In the end either Netflix either does not think they would be benefited on a long run from doing simuldubs or they simply do not know the term (since in the USA dubs are still sort of a rarity).

As I said earlier it isn't just a matter of money. Time is money but money isn't time. Money doesn't buy time (quote from Nisekoi's second season). The studios you mentioned don't want to produce a dub that quickly (whether hired by Netflix or otherwise) because the deadlines would be kind of crazy and quality could suffer when rushing through production. It isn't about hiring enough people. The actors need time to make acceptable if not good work and no amount of money will make time move slower (unless they bought a hyberbolic time chamber, but I'm pretty sure Funimation owns that). Money could buy them more languages if they could find enough amenable studios though.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
^But Funi's been doing it just fine from what I hear? I never watch dubs, but I've heard quite a bit of praise for Funi's simuldubs, including big profile shows like Hero Academia. If a smaller company can do decent-good dubs for hald a dozen anime a season, why does Netflix need to take four months? Are Netflix dubs notoriously better than Funi's?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
@CrowLia I don't watch dubs either but I've heard at least some of their simuldubs criticized for being rushed, though like you said I've also heard good things about other ones. Like mangamuscle said, Netflix doesn't do it themselves but rather hires studios to do it for them. If they can't find a studio that would do it (which only Funi does), then it won't be simuldubbed. Also at this point Funi has years of experience doing them, so it is less unreasonable for them to do it. I imagine there was a learning curve for Funi as well.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Yes because heaven forbid people have to wait any length of time for something now a days. Rolling Eyes Look, I get we're in the simulcast era now. Things have changed since the "good ole days" of dvd single releases. We can get anime faster than ever before. However, the fact that so many people treat waiting a few months, and thus turning to illegal means to watch something, as some huge crime makes me laugh at the sheer entitlement attitude being shown. I fully admit Netflix has a sketchy history with anime but at least it's only a few months with Fate/Apocrypha.

I don't think the wait is really the heart of the matter though. I mean yes it's an issue, but not the only one.

It's like you said "we are in a simulcast era" for better or worse that is the landscape of the anime industry now in regards to how shows are released outside (or in some cases even inside) Japan.

It's more than just waiting a few extra months for the show. It's about the community. Most people like to be in the forefront of what's going down each season. They like to watch an episode of a show when it drops, and then immediately go to a forum (whether it be tumblr, reddit, facebook, twitter, or even here on ANN) and talk about said episode with other fans. What they liked, what they didn't like, theories, speculation and all that good stuff. They like to be a part of that conversation right there in that moment.

What Netflix (and to a lesser extent Amazon) is doing is depriving people of that sense of community. By releasing the shows long after they are relevant (because let's face it fan's attention spans when it comes to these things is very short) the conversations no longer have any meaning because the people who really wanted to see it have either stopped caring about seeing it, arrived too late to the party and had it spoiled one way or another, or watched it illegally (which hurts the industry in the long run).
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
@CrowLia I don't watch dubs either but I've heard at least some of their simuldubs criticized for being rushed, though like you said I've also heard good things about other ones. Like mangamuscle said, Netflix doesn't do it themselves but rather hires studios to do it for them. If they can't find a studio that would do it (which only Funi does), then it won't be simuldubbed. Also at this point Funi has years of experience doing them, so it is less unreasonable for them to do it. I imagine there was a learning curve for Funi as well.

Funi's simuldubs range from decent to great a lot of the time (even for shows that didn't deserve them *cough* Hand Shakers *cough*) but from my understanding they just iron out the bugs for the home releases anyway so people don't complain all that much.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:16 pm Reply with quote
brynhild, that's what their customer service told you. They are not always privy on the corporate decisions. With Netflix being a multi-billion dollar company, I find it fishy that they would have a licensing restriction like that. That is, one would think they could give a big enough payment for a Japanese company to allow for weekly simulcasts.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
The studios you mentioned don't want to produce a dub that quickly

Money talks, and it can make you dance to whatever tune Netflix (i.e.) wants. My point is that for years japan has been doing simuldubs for about 50 or so shows, pumping episodes once a week (sometimes faster if you consider double length episodes), so it is not impossible. The only difference is that time windows shrink with simuidubs so you need tight coordination, but even with normal dubs you have a deliver date to fulfill (i.e. Toonami will premiere Star Crusaders in July 29, the dub studio must pump one episode per week at least or they will fall behind schedule).

Psycho 101 wrote:
the fact that so many people treat waiting a few months, and thus turning to illegal means to watch something, as some huge crime makes me laugh at the sheer entitlement attitude being shown.

Call it whatever you want, but no one (specially in the good old USA) wants to be pushed to second tier level customer. This is not limited to anime, if i.e. for whatever reason the new Star Trek TV series premiered first (months or weeks) in Mexico you can bet your retirement money that the same thing would happen, people would download in droves the episodes and if there is no english dub someone would fan subtitle them for free.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Wont be any issues with JoJo and toonami. Old JoJo's VA confirmed via tweet at least a moth ago that recording was happening. Falling behind wont be an issue since recording will have been done well before each ep airs
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
The studios you mentioned don't want to produce a dub that quickly

Money talks, and it can make you dance to whatever tune Netflix (i.e.) wants. My point is that for years japan has been doing simuldubs for about 50 or so shows, pumping episodes once a week (sometimes faster if you consider double length episodes), so it is not impossible. The only difference is that time windows shrink with simuidubs so you need tight coordination, but even with normal dubs you have a deliver date to fulfill (i.e. Toonami will premiere Star Crusaders in July 29, the dub studio must pump one episode per week at least or they will fall behind schedule).

The original anime studio can dub it at the speed they do because they have access to the materials at all times, whereas the dubbing studio has to wait for the anime studio to give it to them, which if they are delayed might be right before they go to air, which isn't exactly enough time to dub it. Also neither the original or US studios dub stuff in a week. Both studios work on their portions of the episodes for months, and when things get tight, as frequently happens these days, dubbing things quickly enough to be considered simuldubbed isn't always possible, at least with any decent quality. Even if it isn't impossible, some studios may not want to take the risk, as the second studio to do simuldubs (and so on) will not get the same amount of leeway Funi did as the first, as people will just go "Why can't you do it?! Funi does it all the time!", fairly or unfairly, and if they do a bad job even once, they will be shit on forever for it. I don't know that Netflix would be willing to pay them enough not to worry about such a hit to their reputation even if they had such a price.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I get annoyed because people are so impatient, yeah I get community excitement and hype trains but I tend to find hype to be annoying, especially since everyone seems t forget an anime exists right after it finishes airing in Japan/simulcast in the U.S.A. I'm not gonna die if I don't watch Fate/Apocrypha in July. I got a ton of backlog shows I have to watch to tide me over until then. I'd rather not read a crappy fansub.
brynhild

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
brynhild, that's what their customer service told you. They are not always privy on the corporate decisions. With Netflix being a multi-billion dollar company, I find it fishy that they would have a licensing restriction like that. That is, one would think they could give a big enough payment for a Japanese company to allow for weekly simulcasts.

Yeah I only said what you said multiple times already. thanks.

Here's a theoretical situation for it: why would you pay $500K to do weekly simulcasts when you can pay $200K and just make people wait 3 months?

I'm not saying this is always the case. But the finer details of contracts are always kept private. No one knows what actually is going on with these decisions. But like any business, if there's a cheaper option available, why would you not take it?
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree that the weekly episode discussions form a huge part of the anime community, but I think people are overreacting with their “I must watch this as soon as it airs in Japan, and if I can’t then I’m entitled to pirate” mentality.

I too love reading weekly episode discussions and reviews, but sometimes I have other things to do and don’t watch an episode the moment it becomes available. Sometimes it might be a few days or even a week before I get around to watching. In such cases, I might hold off from reading the episode discussions until I have caught up, not because of spoilers (I actually love spoilers), but because I sometimes find the discussions hard to follow when I don’t know what people are talking about.

I think what people are freaking out about is their self-important desire to have other people read their posts, their need to seek attention and validation. Weekly episode discussion threads and YouTube reviews don’t magically disappear after several months. They will still be there for you to read and enjoy months and years after an episode has aired. The only difference between now and several months later is that posts made later are less likely to be read by others. Why do people care so much that their post is read by others?

I went on a 4 week holiday in April this year, two weeks in Thailand and two weeks in Japan. That meant being 4 weeks behind on anime. I suppose for some people, that would have been torture. Oh noes, I can’t be part of the community, boo hoo! Sure, I could’ve found ways to stay up to date while on holiday, after all, this is the modern age of Internet and portable devices, but I don’t have a desperate need to be on the cutting edge of anime. I did manage to catch an episode of Attack on Titan on TV at a hotel while I was in Japan, but my priorities were on enjoying the experience of being in another country. I did eventually catch up on other shows that I was following after returning home, and never felt that my experience or enjoyment was diminished by the 4 week break.

On a related note, I managed to download Little Witch Academia via Netflix while I was in Japan with the intention of watching during the bus/plane ride, but I never got around to watching it because I was preoccupied with sightseeing or getting rest after a long day of sightseeing. When I returned home to Australia, I still had access to the episodes I downloaded on my tablet as long as I didn’t connect to the Internet and watched it offline. But even today I still haven’t watched it, I’ve just been preoccupied with other things. Eventually I do want to watch it.

I was, and still am, looking forward to seeing Fate/Apocrypha, and I don’t mind waiting until it’s available on Netflix. There are plenty of other shows I can watch in the meantime, and those weekly episode discussion threads will still be there for me to read after I’ve started watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
The original anime studio can dub it at the speed they do because they have access to the materials at all times, whereas the dubbing studio has to wait for the anime studio to give it to them, which if they are delayed might be right before they go to air, which isn't exactly enough time to dub it. Also neither the original or US studios dub stuff in a week. Both studios work on their portions of the episodes for months, and when things get tight, as frequently happens these days, dubbing things quickly enough to be considered simuldubbed isn't always possible, at least with any decent quality. Even if it isn't impossible, some studios may not want to take the risk, as the second studio to do simuldubs (and so on) will not get the same amount of leeway Funi did as the first, as people will just go "Why can't you do it?! Funi does it all the time!", fairly or unfairly, and if they do a bad job even once, they will be shit on forever for it. I don't know that Netflix would be willing to pay them enough not to worry about such a hit to their reputation even if they had such a price.

Sorry, but all that is nothing but a big excuse, as long as there is demand and money someone/somewhere will give the service. As an example, I am sure the very first hamburger in history was not served with a side dish of french fries (that has a completely different cooking procedure to hamburgers) but alas nowadays you will be hard pressed to find a place that does not sell them as a set because people got used to eating them together, demand drives the market.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4