• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Apocrypha Anime to Premiere on Netflix on November 7

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Chibi Buizel wrote:
So Netflix learned nothing from all the outrage surrounding their LWA release. Great.

But did anyone express that outrage to Netflix? Did any of you sent them a letter or something to custom support telliing them they should simulcast their shows? The complaints for delays are understandable, but you're doing nothing to change the situation by telling directly to Netflix what's the matter with their anime streaming services. Every anime fan should attack custom support by sending them repeatedly a bunch of messages telling them about how they should be more conscious of the situation and telling them to simulcast the shows weekly. Like, a guy sends 20 messages about the same topic, another guy sends another 20 messages about the same and so on, and maybe we'll see a solution to the problem. The same should be done with Amazon.

I hope the selfishness of western anime viewers don't kill the opportunities for more anime recognition, as most american animated series are comedies and slice-o-life stuff, and few are as developed as in Japan. Also, the West needs to know some of the best stuff Japan has to offer in animation.

Also, let's clarify. If they're releasing it in November, it's the first 13 episodes. Which is fine, given that the first 13 eps. of Little Witch Academia should have been released by April or May, not July, where all the 25 episodes should be released. So, they learned something of their LWA case.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Is anyone actually genuinely surprised by this?

Not me, this goes beyond anime, my mother had to wait one year to watch the last season of Downtown Abbey on netflix. Also, it is futile to protest since netflix will get high ratings for those series since the mainstream rarely watches anything with subtitles and will believe episodes are 100% fresh from the oven.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Not trying to defend netflix or anything, but their customer service has said that it's in their licensing contract that their licensors will not let them do weekly simulcast. Whether it's just PR bullshit or actual truth to it, who knows. But there's always more to just "choosing not to"

Do you have any proff that this is true? 'Cause I think it should be clarified enough before enraging anime viewers more.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Is anyone actually genuinely surprised by this? It's exactly in line with what they've been doing with anime over the past couple of years.

There were like one or two seasons in which their titles were dropped one or two weeks after they ended (or the first cour ended in the case of Kuromukuro) While not ideal, I would've hoped for it to stay on that trend instead of changing that to releasing two months after the first cour ends. Especially since the extra time isn't doing anything for the quality of the subs, the LWA Spanish subs are a tragedy
CaRoss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
As usual Netflix licensing a series is a double edged sword.

On the one hand, as a huge Fate fan, I'm really frustrated by the fact that this series won't be legally available until November. It's an extremely irritating decision since Netflix can and will air series one episode at a time (Riverdale and Shadow Hunters being two major examples in the West, not counting the fact that they simulcast it in Japan).

However, on the other hand, the show being on Netflix does give it a greater chance to reach an audience that Crunchyroll and Funimation never would - the average Joe viewer.

In that case it's actually kind of exciting to know they determined the newest Fate series worth that sort of possible attention.

So, as I have said, this is kind of a double edged sword.
ETX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
It's 2017 and I haven't used Netflix once. Guess I can happily continue that way without a care in the world.
brynhild

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Quote:

Not trying to defend netflix or anything, but their customer service has said that it's in their licensing contract that their licensors will not let them do weekly simulcast. Whether it's just PR bullshit or actual truth to it, who knows. But there's always more to just "choosing not to"

Do you have any proff that this is true? 'Cause I think it should be clarified enough before enraging anime viewers more.

not really sure how you want proof cause all i did was simply call netflix's support center and thats what the rep told me. I edited my original post to clarify that this is simply what was said to me and not a public announcement.

like I said, with support reps you never know what is just scripted pr or actual truth for things so. But there's always more to a companies motives than just "eh we dun wanna"
dsfjr1190

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
They are taking the time to dub it into a bunch of different languages like they did with LWA. It sounds reasonable to me. Netflix isn't just making these shows for people that are already anime fans; they want to get the average viewer watching too. If the average viewer clicks on a show and its in a foreign language they'd most likely go and watch something else instead. Waiting for each region to have a dub before putting the series up is smart in this respect.

For example. I'm sure they want little kids watching LWA (they rated it Y-7), and the best way for kids to get into it is to have it up in the kids' native language.

I'm happy we'll be getting the first cour of Fate/Apocrypha faster than we got LWA though.

But, although I understand Netflix's reasons and will watch these anime on Netflix as they are added.... I will be using alternative means to watch Fate in the meantime.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
dsfjr1190 wrote:
They are taking the time to dub it into a bunch of different languages like they did with LWA.

Reasonable is too generous a word for this situation IMO. Reasonable would be if Netflix simuldubbed said series. The original studio dubs each episode every week. Funimation is a lot smaller company than Netflix and releases their dubs a little later (i.e. not months later). The cynic in me thinks Netflix is getting a 50% discount since they stream the series once the original TV broadcast has finished (in japan).
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Is anyone actually genuinely surprised by this? It's exactly in line with what they've been doing with anime over the past couple of years.

I'm surprisrd they actually announced a date. Does that count?
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Don't they have Kakegurui too?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
Don't they have Kakegurui too?

Unfortunately yeah.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
dsfjr1190 wrote:
They are taking the time to dub it into a bunch of different languages like they did with LWA.

Reasonable is too generous a word for this situation IMO. Reasonable would be if Netflix simuldubbed said series. The original studio dubs each episode every week. Funimation is a lot smaller company than Netflix and releases their dubs a little later (i.e. not months later). The cynic in me thinks Netflix is getting a 50% discount since they stream the series once the original TV broadcast has finished (in japan).

I don't know money is the only or most significant constraint so the size of Netflix versus Funimation doesn't necessarily mean they could do it too or more. I don't know whether they produce their dubs in house or not, but either way I don't know that those making the dub wouldn't just refuse a proposition to simuldub it if given the choice. I think the fact that no other anime company that does dubs does simuldubs indicates that most such companies don't find it reasonable. Plus whatever you think of Netflix's dubs/subs, the quality would likely be worse which I don't know is desirable for most.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Plus whatever you think of Netflix's dubs/subs, the quality would likely be worse which I don't know is desirable for most.

Just like Netflix does not produce anime (they pay professional studios to do them), they do not produce dubs (they pay professional studios to do them), so I do not know from where you are saying that a simuldub from Netflix would be worse. It would imply more work from Netflix (coordinating with the japanese studio on getting the scripts and the videos on a timely manner) no doubt, but since they have the money they can hire as much people as required.

In the end either Netflix either does not think they would be benefited on a long run from doing simuldubs or they simply do not know the term (since in the USA dubs are still sort of a rarity).
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
TemplateR wrote:
On November 7? Srsly Netflix? Are you gonna to make us pirating the next anime again?

I had the same thought. Those pirating the series will be friggin' DONE with it by the time Netflix users get a chance! smh
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4