• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vice & Luna - Comic-Con Justice

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raneth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
Can we all do that? <--I loved that line.

The level of negativity in this thread in response to Luna's simple assertiveness is baffling.

And as for cons, I walk through photos all the time if they are blocking a hallway. Its not the end of the world if a photographer has to wait an extra five seconds for someone to move out of the shot. Its a reality of taking photos in a crowded place. I think most people understand that and there is no real antagonism on either side.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:54 am Reply with quote
I think people are just taken off guard because Luna in the reboot just sounds a lot angrier and sarcastic than her earlier version, and when she's not, there was at least that one time where she came across as self-rigteously smug. She's not necessarily wrong about being upset when she is, but so far, that's almost all she's done, and I guess I'm worried too that this is the only side we'll be getting to see from her.

Well, I'm not THAT pessimistic, but... yeah, she is coming across as a bit too abrasive here.
LadyKuzunoha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I do wonder if conventions have ever issued guidance on how to handle this issue. There are good intuitions on both sides: attendees shouldn't have their paths needlessly obstructed, but cosplayers deserve a chance to exhibit within reason. Perhaps some principle could be introduced to promote the avoidance of passageways and other thoroughfares for photoshoots, with a complementary right to an unobstructed shot being assumed of photographers who comply.

Most long-running conventions that I'm aware of have policies regarding blocking traffic, whether for a photo or not. It poses not only an inconvenience to other attendees but also a safety hazard as the backup of people grows larger. The right to an unobstructed shot as you mention isn't outlined so much, but tends to occur naturally when the cosplayers and photographers step out of the flow of foot traffic.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Luna is not being either rude or excessively abrasive here. The idiot with the camera physically pushed two people out of the way with no warning more than "gangway". His "excuse me" doesn't cut it.

Abrasive would have been getting three inches from his face and yelling at him like a drill instructor. Anything less is polite. I would hope all of the people in the background would walk through his photo.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Luna is just trying to get from Point A to Point B. That's it. She can't pass because there is a giant circle of people blocking the hallway. I don't see a problem with breaking the circle. If people want to block the hallways to take a photo, then they can wait the whole 20 seconds it takes to wait for someone to cross. People have places to be. Your photo is not more important than someone else's schedule.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I know my husband had done something like what Luna did a few times in the "rat trails" that connect the Hyatt and the convention center during A-Cen and Anime Midwest. Staff had stated that taking a picture in those halls isn't encouraged and they do try to break it up if they see such things happen, but somehow or another, things always end up getting stuffy in there because someone had to get a photo right then and there. I tried to avoid those hallways for that reason - or at least a long majority of them - because it's already bad enough being stuffed in there with a few dozen people trying to make their ways through as well and trying to control my nerves (I sometimes have panic issues in close crowds), but then getting stuck even more with those crowds because of people wanting photos.

Of course, I scold him a bit because of how rude he can be during such times - and I hope that people hear me say "I'm sorry" and "excuse me" whenever it does happen, since he drags me through so I didn't get stuck myself.
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:31 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
I don't know guys, I mean the photographer shoved through Luna and Maybell first (notice the BASH sound effect?) and then snarked at them about his own self-importance.
The catch is that the frame with the sound effect doesn't actually show the photographer shoving through. Yes, there's a streak of white that's apparently meant to show the path that the photographer made through Luna and Maybell, and a BASH sound effect to indicate that he was supposedly bashing through. However, the photographer is portrayed in a static standing position, rather than showing him in motion as he jostles the girls aside. That undercuts the attempt to show just how douchey he is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2