• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Reveals Home Video Release Plans For Blue Exorcist, Occultic;Nine, WWW.WAGNARIA!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynhild

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Thorfinn wrote:
I'm confused, did AOA ever confirm they had Kiznaiver, didn't Crunchyroll have the rights for that?

Aniplex was a co-producer on the show, so some people assume that if Aniplex of America wanted it, they could easily get it. I'm not sure how true that is, though.

The show is listed on Aniplex USA's website as a title they own.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
How bad did Hai- Furi do anyway.

Sold 5.7k its first week, which for comparison put it just slightly ahead of the first volume of Re:Zero.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
brynhild wrote:
The show is listed on Aniplex USA's website as a title they own.

They could only have streaming rights, I don't recall ever hearing any confirmation that they have more than that. CR were on the production committee, so I assumed they would be distributing it on BD/DVD.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
brynhild

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
^

Here's a report for it, but as typical per aniplex titles, they don't specify what kind of license it is.

http://www.fandompost.com/2016/07/02/aniplex-usa-acquires-kiznaiver-anime-license/

[Edit]: ditto. Errinundra.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
^
"As part of their Anime Expo panel this weekend, Aniplex USA revealed their pickup of the Kiznaiver series. The show was an interesting one in that Crunchyroll had announced that they would be streaming it months ahead of the actual premiere."

What the hell, this is so weird and needs some clarifying, if a company announces early streaming for a series it usually means they have the rights for the show to some extent. Have Aniplex ever mentioned Kiznaiver since Anime Expo, what is going on with this title?

brynhild

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
^

Yeah, AFAIK, they've not made any updates on the show since announcing the license. So I'm not exactly sure where this title stands.

Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
List of titles I have no interest in buying. Oh well at least they still have Magi on Blu-ray coming out. Wish classroom crisis and oreimo would get a US Blu-ray release.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Selling a six year old TV series for $160? Sasuga Aniplex USA
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
The UK has had a complete collection for Blue Exorcist since last August. Disc quality is virtually the same so you're just paying for an expensive case.

Last edited by SnowWarren on Sat May 20, 2017 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
Selling a six year old TV series for $160? Sasuga Aniplex USA

Oh, laugh all you want, but 160 dollars for a 25-episode LE release is way closer to other companies' pricing schemes than many other Aniplex releases.

(Also, what does the age of the series matter? On average, I've spent way more per episode on older shows... and honestly, in my eyes, a show that came out in 2011 would be considered a relatively "recent" series.)
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
More joke prices from Aniplex. I love when I see companies complain about piracy then price things this high. I'd love to buy your anime, Aniplex. But it's well over double it's actual value and double anything reasonable. Should be at MOST $30 for 3 hours of content on a blu-ray.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
But it's well over double it's actual value

Although these items certainly aren't in line with an average Funimation release, how do you propose we determine the "actual value" of an import luxury item? Confused

For example, the School-Live Premium Box Set from Sentai is retailing for $130 MSRP for 12 episodes, but because Sentai is also putting out a standard edition and is loading the Premium edition with tons of extras, complaints about their pricing on that series are virtually non-existent. There are certainly no fans bringing up "piracy" in School-Live threads.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
But it's well over double it's actual value

Although these items certainly aren't in line with an average Funimation release, how do you propose we determine the "actual value" of an import luxury item? Confused

For example, the School-Live Premium Box Set from Sentai is retailing for $130 MSRP for 12 episodes, but because Sentai is also putting out a standard edition and is loading the Premium edition with tons of extras, complaints about their pricing on that series are virtually non-existent. There are certainly no fans bringing up "piracy" in School-Live threads.

$130 MSRP? That's the problem right there, they're not the only ones selling it. What you could actually pay for it is never that but a percentage of it. You should get around 40% off without trying too hard to upwards of 70% if you get lucky. In my own experience, if you're paying more than 80 dollars for such a set, you're paying too much. But with AoA:

Quote:
The set has a retail price of US$199.98, but a store price of US$159.98. The box set is only available through Aniplex of America's official website.

Here we have the manufacturer's suggested retail price... and the manufacturers actual retail price. "We're taking 40 bucks off the price. Don't you feel honored?" Score, I'm ... paying the same price as everyone else.

They're not interested in selling anime in NA, they're just here to protect the Aniplex properties in Japan. Print X copies, sell X copies, move on.

Or not produce any at all which is becoming the norm.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Aniplex's "manufacturers" vs. "actual" prices are a complete and utter joke, given that they're sold at one or two completely-controlled storefronts and never go on sale.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Yeah, Aniplex's "manufacturers" vs. "actual" prices are a complete and utter joke, given that they're sold at one or two completely-controlled storefronts and never go on sale.

They did have their titles on sale during the rightstuf Christmas sale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3