• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Summer Wars' Mamoru Hosoda Reveals His Next Film, Mirai, for May 2018 Debut

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Man, The Boy and the Beast sure gets dumped on a lot. I feel like I'm the only one who enjoyed it.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The new film's theme will be "siblings," continuing on from the themes of "youth" in The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, "family" in Summer Wars, "motherhood" in Wolf Children, and "fatherhood" in The Boy and The Beast.

...OK, serious question for everyone. Is a "theme" something best expressed as a noun, or a sentence? That is, is it a topic, or your argument about the topic?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there is any "best" way to express theme. Personally, I prefer stating a thematic sentence rather than just throwing out a single word. For example, with respect to Zootopia, I guess you could say that the theme is "racism" but I would state the theme as being, "Even those who don't consider themselves racists can fall prey to the impulse if they aren't careful."
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, the synopsis doesn't read as something that I'd usually watch. But, as I felt like the time travel wasn't handled well in The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, I want to check this new movie out just to see how the time travel is handled. Laughing
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
(I know he made a Digimon film but I never saw that.)

Two Digimon Adventure films actually. (Although the dub combined them both together along with a terrible Digimon Adventure 02 film.) They're both pretty short films, the first is 20 minutes and the second is 40 minutes. (His second Digimon film actually has more or less the same basic plot as Summer Wars.)
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I didn't even finish reading the description when I thought, "let me guess, he had a second child, and his older child was jealous." Rolling Eyes Kept reading and, yup! That's exactly why he wrote it!
It seems like it will be aimed at a younger audience than his other films, more Ponyo than Spirited Away, which is a tad disappointing. My nearly 9-year-old niece loved Wolf Children to pieces, so I hope this movie comes out in the states before she turns twelve and might reject it as too babyish...I'll still watch it, though! Wink
0nsen

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Meh, his last two movies didn't impress me and this seems to follow in those foot steps.
Punpun's ghost

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
Sounds interesting. I love Wolf Children and The Girl Who leapt Through Time especially, so I guess if this film is more along those lines then I expect I'll enjoy. Was only wondering when he was going to announce his next project. Sweet!
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I rather liked this film when it was called Song of the Sea

Quote:
Hosoda states that he wrote the screenplay alone, but listened to "opinions and the experiences of the producers."

Uh oh...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Man, The Boy and the Beast sure gets dumped on a lot. I feel like I'm the only one who enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it as well. granted I enjoyed GWLTT and Wolf Children the most but I did like Boy & the Beast. I did feel some of the family nuances fell short with B&B but he did do that script alone. Like this one....so.....will history repeat itself? Wait and see.

I do think the premise itself has merit but I do wonder what real insight can a 4 year old discover? I don't mind this movie being more kid friendly perhaps, but a 4 year old going back in time to gain some sort of nuanced insight into family? Most 4 year olds can barely string together complete sentences that make sense. You haven't even hit kindergarten yet. I think this premise would have worked better if, as has been suggested here, the boy was a bit older. I agree 10 would be nice but I'd even settle for 7 or 8 to make it somewhat more believable. I'm sure I'll still see the movie regardless but I don't have as high expectations for it as I have his other works since GWLTT.
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
I rather liked this film when it was called Song of the Sea

Ha! Well-spotted analogy (sibling rivalry etc), but I don't think they sound _that_ similar. Actually, of course, sibling rivalry was the big theme in DreamWorks' Boss Baby, seems to be trending in animation now.

Quote:
Hosoda states that he wrote the screenplay alone, but listened to "opinions and the experiences of the producers."
Uh oh...

Well, Miyazaki was advised by his producer (Toshio Suzuki), especially on Porco Rosso IIRC. (Think it's mentioned in the Porco artbook.) Shinkai also took notes from his producers on Your Name.* It can turn out okay...

*In the interests of providing a source, rather than just a cheap self-plug:
http://blog.alltheanime.com/shinkai-on-tour/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2