• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Feeling guilty...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku-Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:07 am Reply with quote
I've been buying anime DVD's for a long time. I have 150+ DVD collection of just anime alone(Still small compared to what I've seen in the "Show us your DVD shelves" thread.) I love anime but lately haven't bought a DVD in quite some time. Now I'm usually a firm believer that you should support your industry but for the first time in my 8 years of watching anime(I'm 18 btw), I have just completed watching a series online (It was Elfen Lied if you're dying to know.) It's not a secret that there are massive amounts of people out there that download their anime, But the problems is I'm afraid that this might become a habit. Now let me remind you that this is the first series I have ever watched that I have not bought. I'm a very materialistic person and I like to physically own the anime that I watch. I know around the Christmas time I will get around to buying it, but I feel guilty that for the first time in anime obsessed life, I did not support my industry. The anime industry suffers alot from the fact that people download their anime rather than buying it. Does anyone else feel the same way I do?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:16 am Reply with quote
While not exactly the same I find myself feeling guilty at times for not buying more then I do now. I used to buy a lot more but I also had more extra cash a few years ago and more time as well. Now Netflix is my main source of anime. I only buy 2-3 series at a time now before getting a new one. Most times it's just rent them, watch them, return them. Sometimes I'll re-rent stuff if I really like the show but am strapped for cash. I'd love to be able to buy more but I simply can't financially afford to right now. Well if I cut out conventions period (which there's only 2 of to begin with) I could but the personal experiences from them outweighs any materialistic gain so that won't happen. if you don't want downloading to be a habit you pick up then try avoiding sites you would get stuff from. try and eliminate as much of the temptation as possible for starters.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:36 am Reply with quote
I just consider watching fansubs like renting and I choose what I watch very carefully (just like I'd be picky about what I rent) so 9 times out of 10 I end up liking it and then buying it. I definitely do my part to support the industy with the 508 titles in my collection, so it is possible to do both. Plus there's nothing more satisfying than owning hard copy rather than some data files so if given the choice I'd rather buy. Feeling guilty is good though (I do too until I put those DVDs in their rightfull spot on my shelves) once you lose that then you should worry. Wink
Skylark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:24 am Reply with quote
I'm not going to lie, of the 100+ hours of anime that I've watched I've bought precisely nil. The thing is I'm not exactly the most well-off person on the planet; I don't feel guilty though because I intend to travel to japan after I've been working full time and made some money, and at that point I want to buy as much anime as I can. I see it sort of as "borrowing" the anime for now.

Besides if I felt guilty about it I would have to put aside one of my favourite pastimes. And that would suck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gozar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:44 am Reply with quote
I myself do not believe in downloading Anime and not buying an official release. I do download some stuff, but I will always buy the American release (when/if one does come). I mostly download Anime when I get really into a series through the first DVD and don't wanna wait for the Dubbing company to put out the rest. So I'll watch and still buy when the releases come. I also have no problem downloading stuff that is not licensed in America (such as a good deal of the Lupin III stuff).

However, I can 100% understand why you did download and why people do. There are just simply so many good series out there that deserve to be checked out, and we aren't all loaded with cash. In truth, most Anime in Japan airs on TV first. Thus everyone gets a chance to watch it for free and only the big fans buy it. Which isn't really fair to us Americans who legally have to buy everything. So I guess what I'm getting at is, I wouldn't feel too bad about it. It's ok to do it a little IMO. But don't switch to downloading only.

Also on a side note. Sometimes if I think a series sounds cool by description but I'm not sure if I want to buy it. I'll allow myself to guilt free watch 2-3 episodes online and then make a choice if I want to buy it. I know this doesn't fully apply, but I thought I'd just say that.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:44 am Reply with quote
Why haven't you bought an anime DVD in quite some time? What were you buying instead? Did you need what you were buying instead? Were you lacking a job?
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote
The fact that you are aware the downloading without ever buying is hurtful to the industry, and that you feel bad about it are signs you don't have to worry too much right now.

It's when you try to justify your downloading in place of purchases that you have a problem. Wink
HMMcKamikaze

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote
I view fansubs as a way to see whether or not I would like to buy an anime in the future. I'm not going to shell out $30+ for a series just to find out I don't like it. If fansubs were not available, I probably wouldn't buy very much anime at all so I don't feel that I'm really stealing. If I want to watch a series a second time though, then I buy the dvds.
Otaku-Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Why haven't you bought an anime DVD in quite some time? What were you buying instead? Did you need what you were buying instead? Were you lacking a job?

For the time being money has been a little tight. I also buy other things like video games and I recently just bought a motorcycle so I needed to fuel my anime hunger somehow.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I admit I do watch fansubs at times, including series that have been released over here, but afterwards I have bought the DVDs for those series over here. I have to admit by watching the subs though I wish there could be a release for series that aren't over here.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I never have to watch fansubs because what ever is available in the UK I can rent for £1.99 each. Therefore if I don't like it enough to buy the series, the license holder still got some of my money for the privilege of allowing me to do so. No guilt necessary.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Otaku-Sensei wrote:

For the time being money has been a little tight. I also buy other things like video games and I recently just bought a motorcycle so I needed to fuel my anime hunger somehow.

This I'd say is expected. You have other interests and you spent your money on those things instead. If you did buy anime instead of those things then those things would lose out. If you value anime more than you value those things, then you should have bought anime instead. If you value those things equally and hadn't spent anything on them recently, what you did makes perfect sense to me.

From a practical perspective assuming you followed what you value most I think what you did makes perfect sense. Morally you can only decide yourself. It seems that you feel guilty because you believe that others are right to tell you to "do without" when you can't afford it. I understand that belief, but I personally don't agree with it so I wouldn't feel guilty at all about what you did.

Others make a note about rental services/rentals (which still cost $ but not as much) and I'd say those are reasonable suggestions for someone with your perspective. If you truly feel guilty it makes sense to do these things instead. My feeling though is, that if you'd actually contribute more to the industry by buying 1 dvd instead of paying the rental fee, buy the 1 dvd. So you couldn't buy 10 that month? No big deal, you can make it up later. Of course I'm the "justifying" type so take what I say with a grain of salt in accordance with your own perspective.

Quote:

The fact that you are aware the downloading without ever buying is hurtful to the industry, and that you feel bad about it are signs you don't have to worry too much right now.

"don't have to worry too much" is an interesting statement. It seems to imply that the action taken is acceptable if you think it's wrong. Acceptable to do and admittedly wrong for me don't go together. I find this to be hypocrisy.. in fact.. by definition that is what it is (doing what you say is wrong to do).

I would agree with your stance on people justifying what they do, if by that you mean "justifying spending nothing when they have money to spend on it." But if you are saying "justifying not buying every individual copy" is a real problem then I fail to see how you can believe this when you have said "don't have to worry too much." It seems to be a contradiction of reasoning to accept a practice that you call wrong. It does seem that a lot here prefer open hypocrites to those like me who "justify" what they do.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"don't have to worry too much" is an interesting statement. It seems to imply that the action taken is acceptable if you think it's wrong. Acceptable to do and admittedly wrong for me don't go together. I find this to be hypocrisy.. in fact.. by definition that is what it is (doing what you say is wrong to do).

Nah, it means that one who commits a crime and feels remorse for doing so is slightly better off morally and closer to being forgiven than someone who commits said crime and doesn't, or in this case rationalizes it for self-justicication. That's usually how the justice system works here. It's why a man who commits murder in self-defense can serve less time than some remorseless serial killer. Anywhow to head off any further comments it's just an analogy so take it in context I'm saying downloading and murder aren't remotely simmilliar but in the eyes of society the man who feels guilty for what he's done is seen as the lesser of the two evils.

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I like to download fansubs myself, but at the same time definitely make it a point to support the creators by buying things like DVDs or other forms of merchandise if I like the series enough. But a big problem I definitely have and have had for some time now has definitely got to be in the fact that my financial situation isn't the best. I may want to buy everything but the fact of the matter is I just can't. I can't even begin to tell you how many series are on my "want to see" list because of this. Not only that, but on my "want to buy" list as well. Of course I can't devot every single bit of my time and money to anime, so I have to prioritize it as well.

So I just have to make it a point to buy what I want to buy eventually and for now buy everything I possibly can. And even then there are certain series that are a higher priority for me to buy than others. So I guess I don't really feel all that guilty about it so long as I make it a point to eventually buy it, even if I can't do so right now.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I'd definitely agree that paying money just to try out the series and not liking it is a big problem for me. That's why I'm glad that some of the companies have started putting the first episode or two on their own sites so people can sample legally. For instance, Funimation placed a little bit of Rumbling Hearts online and that helped me form my own opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2