• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'your name.' Anime Film Earns US$1.6 Million in 1st Weekend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lebrel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Can someone point out what scene this boku/watashi thing was such an issue? I can't recall anything standing out during my screening so I question how serious a problem it really was.

Like Darksorrow29 said, it's the scene on the rooftop where the female-lead-in-the-male-lead's-body is talking to his friends. I wouldn't say it's a big deal if the joke doesn't come across, but the scene is quite funny. I only saw the sub, so I don't know how the dub handles it.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Saw the dub yesterday, and it was really good! The only thing is that I feel like they should have kept the Japanese soundtrack. Besides that, the VA's did a really good job. Smile
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Saw the dub on Saturday, it was great and I'm glad it's doing so well.
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
Morry wrote:
Can someone point out what scene this boku/watashi thing was such an issue? I can't recall anything standing out during my screening so I question how serious a problem it really was.

Like Darksorrow29 said, it's the scene on the rooftop where the female-lead-in-the-male-lead's-body is talking to his friends. I wouldn't say it's a big deal if the joke doesn't come across, but the scene is quite funny. I only saw the sub, so I don't know how the dub handles it.

A reviewer I read mentioned that in the dub version of that scene spoiler[she refers to Taki in the third-person instead, like she's talking about him instead of as him.] Which, for a joke that simply does not translate in its original form, is a pretty good way to at least get the intent of the scene across, IMO.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
Morry wrote:

My friends who are not anime fans did not understand this at first but it was something easy to explain to them.

I was also curious how the dub handled this scene.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
The weekend "actuals" are in, so the final weekend number for Your Name is $1,637,509 according to Box Office Mojo.

13th place overall, 7th place in per theater average with $5,686.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Pokenatic wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Furthermore, I'm kinda mad at Funimation for not just releasing it on DVD/bluray already. They translated it around a year ago. They had it Anime Expo. There's no reason for it to be not be on bluray/DVD already except to milk that theatre money.

Like how others said already, they won't be able to release it until sometime after the Japanese disc release happens. Considering when the Japanese disc release is happening (I recall hearing somewhere that it's going to be around October or something), we shouldn't expect a North American physical release until early next year at best because I'm pretty sure Funi never wants to repeat their Kadokawa debacle ever again.

Kougeru wrote:
They could've done both theatre showing and released it on bluray/dvd and to give people a choice instead of forcing us people living in areas with extremely limited (or no) showings to wait well over a year after AX premiere to watch this.

The AX premiere was the WORLD premiere of the movie. That screening was almost 2 whole months ahead of its theatrical release in Japan. Okay, while I don't see why we couldn't have gotten a theatrical screening sooner (I wonder what the circumstances for that are), a simultaneous release just wouldn't make sense for such a movie on top of the above problem. The Killing Joke is the only notable simultaneous release movie and that was supposed to be direct to DVD only.

But yeah, I really loved the movie. Already confident enough to say it's my movie of the year (just like Mad Max for 2015) and I'll be watching it again today.

What kadokawa debacle are you talking about. didn't they once have an exclusive partnership with each other or was that noitamina? Anyways what happenned?
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I saw the dub because that allowed me to put my full attention on the gorgeous visuals. I like subs fine but I know I miss a lot of visual stuff keeping up with the tiny wordy things at the bottom of the screen.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:

What kadokawa debacle are you talking about. didn't they once have an exclusive partnership with each other or was that noitamina? Anyways what happenned?

around 5 years ago, funi tried to release two kadokawa shows the same time Kadokawa was going to release BD boxsets for the shows. they didn't like that, which is why it usually takes longer for funi to release Kadokawa shows and sometimes only on DVD
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:

around 5 years ago, funi tried to release two kadokawa shows the same time Kadokawa was going to release BD boxsets for the shows. they didn't like that, which is why it usually takes longer for funi to release Kadokawa shows and sometimes only on DVD

Thanks
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:
I saw the dub because that allowed me to put my full attention on the gorgeous visuals. I like subs fine but I know I miss a lot of visual stuff keeping up with the tiny wordy things at the bottom of the screen.

Yep, that's why I traveled to go find a dub screening yesterday. It was 9:50 PM on a Monday night though, so there was a total of 5 people in the theater, including myself. But hey, that means I get whatever seat I wanted!

The dub provides limited clutter to the screen. Also, my eyes instinctively are drawn to wherever there's text, so when there's subtitles, I find myself looking at the bottom of the screen far longer than it takes me to read the subtitles. So seeing it dubbed allowed me to see the artwork and animation and such.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
The update in the article wrote:
Update: Box Office Mojo reports that the movie's precise box office total for the weekend is US41,637,509 for a per-screen average of US$5,686. Thanks, Tenchi

Thanks for the acknowledgement but I did a double take at that number before realizing that someone didn't press SHIFT when they pressed 4.

Your Name making $41.6 million on its opening weekend in the United States and Canada would have been a well-deserved box office performance but, alas, it wasn't exactly in the cards. $1.6 million is still a good performance for an anime film on under 250 screens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
The update in the article wrote:
Update: Box Office Mojo reports that the movie's precise box office total for the weekend is US41,637,509 for a per-screen average of US$5,686. Thanks, Tenchi

Thanks for the acknowledgement but I did a double take at that number before realizing that someone didn't press SHIFT when they pressed 4.

Your Name making $41.6 million on its opening weekend in the United States and Canada would have been a well-deserved box office performance but, alas, it wasn't exactly in the cards. $1.6 million is still a good performance for an anime film on under 250 screens.

It'd also mean that your name showed in 7,323 theaters in the US, which would make it a mainstream-level wide release. (I don't know if what they did here is considered a wide release though.)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
$1.6 million is still a good performance for an anime film on under 250 screens.

Sorry, make that "under 300 screens" since it played in 290 venues, 290 being, of course, a larger number than 250. Embarassed
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
It'd also mean that your name showed in 7,323 theaters in the US, which would make it a mainstream-level wide release. (I don't know if what they did here is considered a wide release though.)
That's more theaters than there are in the region, and no release has hit anywhere near even 5,000 (Theater=/=Screen FYI).
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/widest.htm?page=WIDEST&p=.htm

BTW, what you think is US box office is actually America + Canada, referred to as North America. Also, what they did here is not a wide release per what BOM refers to a wide release, which is 600 theaters. Your Name. has had a max theater count of 290.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=yourname.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/counts/chart/?yr=2017&wk=14&p=.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3