• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell Gets New Anime From Kenji Kamiyama, Shinji Aramaki

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marzan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeees,!!! Kamiyama will get something good done.
Hugh Mungus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
This may actually explain why Ghost in the Shell is airing on Toonami (and not just because of the live-action movie). The first two seasons were partly funded by [adult swim], and with Sand Whale and FLCL, they seem to be working quite a bit with Production I.G.

Just my two cents, but it's seems like a logical conclusion to see a possible third season of Stand Alone Complex on its way to Toonami.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Eh, no to more SAC, we've already gotten enough of that, nothing more to add to it. Hope they go with a new direction.

Well, I mean, we got Arise, but people were pretty lukewarm on it.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
YEAH!!!, and finally too. Kamiyama is the only person for the job, imo.Personally, I'm hoping its something brand new or a 3rd season of SAC. I hope its not another reboot like Arise and while an adapting more of the manga would be nice, I'd still prefer something new.

penguintruth wrote:
The question is, who's going to write it? Is Dai Sato coming on board? Yoshiki Sakurai? I also hope they add somebody like Keiko Nobumoto or Sayo Yamamoto.to the staff to some capacity.

Seriously, this is important. I really hope they can reassemble all the writers who worked on SAC. I enjoyed Arise, but I'm not sure I'd want Tow Ubukata returning. Just throwing this out there, but as a Psycho Pass fan, I think it'd be real interesting to have Gen Urobuchi writing.

Last edited by CoreSignal on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
Interesting. I'd be ok with more SAC.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:11 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
but as a Psycho Pass fan, I think it'd be real interesting to have Gen Urobuchi writing.

That would be one hell of a staff list. I can hardly even imagine it. He's always way too busy anyway. But I'd love it if he did. I guarantee he could do a good job with this world and premise.
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
This is great news Arise was a meh for me and the live action was a big disappointment, hopefully it's some more Stand Alone Complex or something similar.

Hugh Mungus I don't know where you got you information but Cartoon Network/Toonami had nothing to do with funding of Stand Along Complex or 2nd Gig. They did air them probably paid to broadcast them.

The series was released on DVD by Bandai Entertainment in 2005 and Toonami didn't start airing the show until 2012. Yes they are re-airing it again probably in hopes that the New Movie will drive people to want to watch the Anime show.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
The series was released on DVD by Bandai Entertainment in 2005 and Toonami didn't start airing the show until 2012. Yes they are re-airing it again probably in hopes that the New Movie will drive people to want to watch the Anime show.

Cartoon Network definitely aired it way before 2012. It was probably on Adult Swim though and not Toonami.

Ah, found a source. Its even ANN.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2004-11-05/stand-alone-complex-premieres-tomorrow-night
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
Nice to see the old gang back. Section 9, I mean.
With Kenji back, I'm optimistic to see him pull another really good series from this franchise.
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
It does look like it was Adult Swim that aired it in 2004, but still doesn't change the fact that the poster claimed that Cartoon Network partially funded the show which I no for a fact is completely false.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:59 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The question is, who's going to write it? Is Dai Sato coming on board? Yoshiki Sakurai? I also hope they add somebody like Keiko Nobumoto or Sayo Yamamoto.to the staff to some capacity.
Why do they need someone else to write the scripts with Kamiyama on board - who was not only the director, but also the chief writer of all Stand Alone Complex series?
Also Sato now working with Eureka 7 movies with Bones, so he's pretty much out.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:22 am Reply with quote
I suppose they are spending the money they got from the live action GITS film, what is it, a license fee? you know when they paid them to be able to make the film, royalties?
WANNFH wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Why do they need someone else to write the scripts with Kamiyama on board - who was not only the director, but also the chief writer of all Stand Alone Complex series?
Also Sato now working with Eureka 7 movies with Bones, so he's pretty much out.
Episode writers, he won't write all the episodes, Dai Sato wrote some episodes for S.A.C. Personally I would love for Keiko Nobumoto work on a Ghost in the Shell title.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:37 am Reply with quote
Something good finally came out of the US adaptation but the sales numbers for both Arise projects didn ´t quite set the sales charts on fire. Kamiyama isn´t the director he used to be and partnering him up with Aramaki basically confirms another CG / film production. Fitting enough here.
A final Arise project would have been preferable, as it´s weird to have a prequel be unconnected to anything, but i take what i can get. Just make this one connect to something (not the 89 manga) and keep the budget on a reasonable level.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:11 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Episode writers, he won't write all the episodes, Dai Sato wrote some episodes for S.A.C. Personally I would love for Keiko Nobumoto work on a Ghost in the Shell title.

The thing is that more than half of episodes for SAC and 2nd GIG written by Kamiyama alone, so they're really not in the need for the big name writers - he can handle the full-cour series with ease, if they are not going to really big project.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:59 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I suppose they are spending the money they got from the live action GITS film, what is it, a license fee? you know when they paid them to be able to make the film, royalties?

The Anime studio doesn't own the rights to GitS, Masamune Shirow does. As he is the creator.

Given what I've seen with anime over the years, Dreamworks approached Shirow, Kodansha, and Production I.G., and in the discussion they brought the idea of a new anime, taking advantage of any potential momentum that the Live Action might've created. Much like Marvel did with their animes in the last couple of years.

But this late in the game makes me wonder if it's Production I.G. didn't have a room in their schedule or they were waiting for the Live-Action to be completed? It actually makes me wonder if this new anime could actually be linked to the Live-Action as a continuation of the movie? (That said, will the cast be original-design GitS? Or models based off the Live Action cast?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4