• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Big Of A Deal Is Crunchyroll Reaching A Million Subscribers?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnneAlmgren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Right, Japan already knew what the numbers there were, TV Tokyo is a 20% owner. Being able to trot out the "1 million subscribers" number though gives CR some clout when negotiating with 3rd-party investors/partners. At $50/subscriber, that's 50 million in annual revenue. Assume that advertising makes up maybe 25–75% of their total revenue, and we're talking a lot of money for a relatively small company.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
NBlaze53 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Their in house subs are still shit tier. Laughing

I keep hearing this. I've never had much of a problem with their subs (Aside from their subs for the Yu-Gi-Oh! Series and now Dragon Ball Super). Where did the mentality of their in house subs being shit come from and what anime on their site are in house subs?

Let's see...Naruto, One Piece, Sailor Moon Crystal, Yu-Gi-Oh. No OP/ED subs, only dub terminology used. And in the case of Sailor Moon Crystal, grammar mistakes and typos all over the damn place! To add to that, their timing for the subs is atrocious.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
NBlaze53 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Their in house subs are still shit tier. Laughing

I keep hearing this. I've never had much of a problem with their subs (Aside from their subs for the Yu-Gi-Oh! Series and now Dragon Ball Super). Where did the mentality of their in house subs being shit come from and what anime on their site are in house subs?

Let's see...Naruto, One Piece, Sailor Moon Crystal, Yu-Gi-Oh. No OP/ED subs, only dub terminology used. And in the case of Sailor Moon Crystal, grammar mistakes and typos all over the damn place! To add to that, their timing for the subs is atrocious.

Can't blame them for not subbing OP/ED--they're literally not allowed to because the music rights holders haven't cleared it. It's frustrating, especially when the songs are directly linked to the characters or plot, but it's been that way for a long time. I'm more pleasantly surprised when songs are subbed than upset when they're not.
"Dub terminology" for popular series based on manga titles published in the US could be a rights thing, too--the Japanese rights holders insist on using certain terms whether they make sense or not.
There's no good excuse for spelling and grammar mistakes, though.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Also, much of this dub terminology is simply translating the phrases that the fansubbers don't feel like doing themselves because they don't know how to translate it or they think leaving random things in Japanese is cooler.

An example of the former is "nakama" in One Piece. At least one fansubbing group claimed it has no close equivalent into English and caused a lot of fans to believe this, even though we DO have words like "friend," "family", and "comrade," and ignores the point that nothing has a perfect match in translation. (TV Tropes used to have a page for "Nakama," which shows the extent of this misconception, but was taken down when evidence to the contrary showed up.)

An example of the latter is "Kagebunshin no Jutsu" in Naruto, which was translated to "Shadow Clone Jutsu" or "Shadow Clone Technique" in official sources. To someone who knows little to no Japanese (and that is who a translation is for), it sounds like a bunch of nonsense. What is the point of keeping it as "Kagebunshin no Jutsu" except for exotic flair? Naruto uses the technique to create many copies of himself from out of nowhere, hence "Shadow Clone Technique" is way more useful in immediately telling the viewer or reader (or player, in the case of the video games) what this technique is about.

All in all, the points of the subtitles are a quick way to get a translation out and for people who want to hear the Japanese audio. It isn't some "fansub mode," and fansubbers aren't necessarily more accurate in their translations either--people just think they are because of their grassroots nature.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
can we say with any reasonable certainty that CR were the ones that subbed Sailor Moon Crystal? Honestly, the translation often felt similar to just about anything done by Aniplex. They often provide the subs for their shows licensed by AoA and are frequently full of errors, and the similar awful translation of SMC lead me to believe Toei provided the subs
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9