• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cowboy Bebop The Perfect Sessions for $23... Legit?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick question... see title.

Obviously, it's on Amazon but I'm very skeptical of what i'm buying.

Thoughts?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
All but the last one appear to be bootlegs. The keywords to look for are "import" and "3 DVD." The original Perfect Sessions box set was, is, and always will be six DVDs. Just buy the re-mix DVDs and get a customized box from this guy.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:40 am Reply with quote
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:21 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

Those "pics" don't work...

Try here, instead.
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quote
So it went out of Print?

Dammit.
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
...Just buy the re-mix DVDs and get a customized box from this guy.

Damn you! *bookmarks link* My poor bank account...

Also, since it wasn't mentioned previously in this thread, you can usually identify a bootleg if it includes a Chinese subtitle track. That's how it used to be at least, until they just started ripping off the R1 versions.

The puzzling one on amazon is the 3 disc (bootleg) version that they're trying to sell for $150. Maybe they realize that that's about how much the real set should cost, and people will buy that thinking the same thing.

Actually, I don't think it's quite the collectors item yet that some people expect to get $500 for, either. Maybe for a deluxe Japanese edition, I could see it.

silver omicron wrote:
So it went out of Print?

Dammit.

Even if it's out of print, there might be some retailers around that still have a few. If it's been awhile though, it's less likely. The one on ebay that TonyK linked looks pretty reasonable actually, price-wise, though the condition isn't the best. Buying the single discs at retail would run you about $27 each (+tax). I was able to pick them up at Best Buy for a bit cheaper than that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
silver_omicron wrote:
So it went out of Print?

Dammit.

Loooooooooong time ago yeah. The CB complete set was a limited run in the 90's sometime. If they're still any floating arround they're going to cost you an arm and a leg being collector's items.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
silver_omicron wrote:
So it went out of Print?

Dammit.

Loooooooooong time ago yeah. The CB complete set was a limited run in the 90's sometime. If they're still any floating arround they're going to cost you an arm and a leg being collector's items.

Depends. Some are selling their used ones cheaper. Before they went out of business I got each of the single dvd's for $8 bucks used at Suncoast. Granted that's with my employee discount but the list price for them used was only $13.99 anyway. That's a steal mind you. I'd challenge anyone to find them cheaper and in good condition. We even got a collector's set it too, after I got the singles of course. Evil or Very Mad I know many are unsure when buying from eBay but if you look and check out the person you're buying from first you should be ok if you know what to look for and what to watch out for. I've personally never had a problem buying dvds on eBay. Maybe I'm just lucky.
darkdruid333

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:49 am Reply with quote
Boy I wish I had read this before I bought mine, It's only 3 disks, has no Japanese subtitles, shaky menus, and my personal favorite, I can't turn any of the subtitles off, which can get very annoying. So I'm thinking of maybe selling it back, I kind of don't want to do that to someone else though Rolling Eyes , and using the money to buy the remix editions. I think there should be some kind of fraud warning somewhere so people like me can easily check the validity of stuff like that. I'm also mad that I didn't get the soundtrack that was supposed to come with it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:48 am Reply with quote
darkdruid333 wrote:
I think there should be some kind of fraud warning somewhere so people like me can easily check the validity of stuff like that.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5401

Note that some earlier posts are quite old and have outdated and/or misleading information. You'd better read the entire thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
silver_omicron wrote:
So it went out of Print?

Dammit.

release#145

Quote:
Release Date: 2001-11-06
Considering that CB aired in Japan in spring 1998, that would've been a really fast turnaround to release all the singles and the Perfect Collection before 2000.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I always question something like this, especially when it goes through Amazon or eBay. I looked at something similar in the summer and decided it was a bootleg.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
silver_omicron wrote:
So it went out of Print?

Dammit.

release#145

Quote:
Release Date: 2001-11-06
Considering that CB aired in Japan in spring 1998, that would've been a really fast turnaround to release all the singles and the Perfect Collection before 2000.

Fine fine whatever if you want to be exact. Still too darn long ago in the world of DVD releases, when it's a limited run with no later reprintings and such a hot comodity as Cowboy Bebop is.

Heck, this thing was nowhere to found already in '02 or '03 when I tried to buy it. I bought what I thought was it but ended up with a crappy Bootleg version that's since degraded into unwatchabillity. Really wish they'd get arround to releasing a set for the remixed version so I can own it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm not counting on there ever being a remix set since it's already past the point of when one ought to come out. Besides, Bandai knows that people will buy the individual volumes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1