• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Hand Shakers

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
So I thought I should mention since James didn't point it out (and so I assume he doesn't know), but Precious Memories is a real card game. It's really similar to Weiss Schwarz. Though AFAIK all the cards in Precious Memories are based on anime (like Weiss Schwarz) so I'm not really sure where the Yu-Gi-Oh-ish monsters came from.

So yeah, basically half this episode was product placement. I expect we'll be seeing a Hand Shakers expansion soon. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
So I thought I should mention since James didn't point it out (and so I assume he doesn't know), but Precious Memories is a real card game. It's really similar to Weiss Schwarz. Though AFAIK all the cards in Precious Memories are based on anime (like Weiss Schwarz) so I'm not really sure where the Yu-Gi-Oh-ish monsters came from.

So yeah, basically half this episode was product placement. I expect we'll be seeing a Hand Shakers expansion soon. Laughing

Based on the oddly specific details of the cards, I kind of figured it might be a real game; thanks for the confirmation on that front. That just makes the episode feel even tackier, now :T
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Why is the review making it sound like Koyori chose to let go of Tazuna's hand?

It was clearly an accident. Rolling Eyes And it can easily happen in crowds in Japan....you should see how much fun it is to stay with a companion when you get on the subway at certain times. Anime dazed

I liked animate's "cameo". Very Happy But I thought the moment where Koyori sees Tazuna again in person was really well done. Her reaction was heartfelt and cute.

President Boobs Brocon can take a hike; this show would be better off without her. Rolling Eyes
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Why is the review making it sound like Koyori chose to let go of Tazuna's hand?

It was clearly an accident. Rolling Eyes And it can easily happen in crowds in Japan....you should see how much fun it is to stay with a companion when you get on the subway at certain times. Anime dazed

Feels pretty hard to lose a person you're holding hands with in here.

If they inadvertedly let go of each other hand, at least they would just walk in the same direction. The show pretends us to think that Koyori somehow let go of his hand and in 5 seconds she ran away out of Tazuna's view, without a particular hint other than there was a minimal crowd. I would accept that she saw something like an ad of that game they're playing and went to it out of curiosity, it would still be very convenient, but not as eyerolling.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
Lol....I guess they should have drawn a lot more people. Anime hyper
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:
Quote:
At one point, Lily gets stabbed in a manner that looks absolutely grave, but then the scene smash cuts abruptly to Tazuna and Koyori, so by the time we get back to Lily and her brother, it seems like they're just fine. How is the audience supposed to invest themselves in a battle if they can't even tell what a devastating blow looks like?

To be fair (and this isn't your fault for not catching on), that's actually a mid-fight flashback to a previous fight.

Of course, since we already established that none of her injuries actually matter, there's a lot of unconvincing drama. Also: "Run away, Koyori! Save yourself! Of course, when I lose, you die anyway, but this is dramatic, isn't it?"
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Episode 6:
Quote:
At one point, Lily gets stabbed in a manner that looks absolutely grave, but then the scene smash cuts abruptly to Tazuna and Koyori, so by the time we get back to Lily and her brother, it seems like they're just fine. How is the audience supposed to invest themselves in a battle if they can't even tell what a devastating blow looks like?

To be fair (and this isn't your fault for not catching on), that's actually a mid-fight flashback to a previous fight.

Of course, since we already established that none of her injuries actually matter, there's a lot of unconvincing drama. Also: "Run away, Koyori! Save yourself! Of course, when I lose, you die anyway, but this is dramatic, isn't it?"

Well that makes more sense, but like you said, the core problem remains. Thanks for pointing that out!
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe the incest condoning episode is the best episode so far. I truly can't. Like James, I also thought those twenty seconds were pretty remarkable, and I could really see a good glimpse of Hand Shaker's visual idea.

While the cheap drama doesn't in any way make me comfortable with the incest, I don't feel as hateful for Lily. Her backstory with his brother is still slightly compelling, nothing incredible, but it entertained me much more than any other so far. The conclusion of the relationship is hardly believable, but the characters themselves are a little, even if they are annoying as hell.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
How is the audience supposed to invest themselves in a battle if they can't even tell what a devastating blow looks like?

I realized it had to be a flashback pretty quickly because of the different clothes, but it still left me confused - I take it they didn't lose the battle where she took an arrow to the knee heart? And yet Tazuna wins apparently without putting a scratch on little brother. I guess he just knocked the wind out of him a little?

So...were those divorce papers on the table? New school enrollment? I imagine Japanese viewers recognized the form, but it went right over my head without any translation.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
So, I've been thinking for a while now... Isn't the plot kind of a rip-off of Fate/stay night? A bunch of pairs fighting each other to get their wish granted, and the loser dies. Except in this case, only the MC is affected. The main character even has the talent with fixing mechanical things. On the other hand, the way all of the partners draw power from each other, are in love with each other despite whatever taboo that might create, and the magic with random objects, and even the abusive mother feels straight out of Loveless, but I don't imagine there's a lot of overlap in viewership there...

Or maybe it's just really cliche in general. Laughing

Gina Szanboti wrote:

So...were those divorce papers on the table? New school enrollment? I imagine Japanese viewers recognized the form, but it went right over my head without any translation.

If this were any other show I'd guess divorce papers, but from the way they framed it, it seemed like a birth certificate or some other proof that the two aren't actually siblings. Because, as anime has taught us, incest is totally fine as long as you're not genetically related!

Edit: Also, "I'll make it mesh" is the absolute stupidest catchphrase I've ever heard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
So, I've been thinking for a while now... Isn't the plot kind of a rip-off of Fate/stay night? A bunch of pairs fighting each other to get their wish granted, and the loser dies. Except in this case, only the MC is affected. The main character even has the talent with fixing mechanical things. On the other hand, the way all of the partners draw power from each other, are in love with each other despite whatever taboo that might create, and the magic with random objects, and even the abusive mother feels straight out of Loveless, but I don't imagine there's a lot of overlap in viewership there...

Or maybe it's just really cliche in general. Laughing

I myself made the comparison with Fate Stay Night way back. While most personalities don't always align, their roles and some stuff kinda do, you have the Chain brothers who are almost as if Shinji had Sakura for his servant (Rider had a chain of sorts, even), then you've got the tsundere-ish girl that allies themselves with the main character after a fight, you also have the expositonary character like Kotomine, and also a mysterious character with a hidden relationship with the exposition guy like Gilgamesh. I am not sure where Lily and his brother would fit in. Also Koyori and Tazuna are like a reversed Shirou and Saber, in which the MC is the one recieving power from the other party, and the other can't possibly fight (not like Koyori has much of a say in it, unlike Shirou).

The difference with FSN is that it managed to build a more believable world for a similarly contrived story.
Accelerator66

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
So can anyone explain why everyone says this is terrible because imo its pretty enjoyable Confused
steelmirror

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Accelerator66 wrote:
So can anyone explain why everyone says this is terrible because imo its pretty enjoyable Confused
see: every single one of the episode reviews given thus far. Very Happy

Since it sounds like this episode managed "awful" instead of "unwatchably awful", I might give it a shot. Seems sporting. I give the show a lot of crap, I might as well try and watch a whole episode, so long as its willing to meet me halfway and not make me sick. The random limb-breaking as a method of forcing cliches sounds like it just might be hilarious!
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I unironically found this the best episode. Or rather, the one with more good seconds, I think it reached around four minutes. Those four minutes are basically Koyori in her cooking training, it was charming enough for me, especially Koyori doing some dorky poses with probably the best 2D work this show has had so far.

Sadly, of course, the rest of the episode wasn't decent, it was every bit of bad as it's been, and probably worse. The initial exposition was incredibly stupid, I hate those things of "I should've and could've asked this sooner but I'm gonna ask now" or even worse "I could've told you these things way before but now seems appropiate, for some reason". And for some reason the teacher infered that someone told Tezuna? Why? Thinking that he was a Hand Shaker seemed very reasonable to me.

And to kick myself in the gut, we are now again with Lily sounding extremely annoying and jarring, (there's this scene in which she changes from dummy to super serious with no transition at all) and being nastily predatory of his brother. And on that matter, what the hell with the Chain guys? Are they okay now? They don't fight anymore or...? ¿¿¿??? Maybe I missed a detail.

Accelerator66 wrote:

Well, without taking the visuals into consideration, since that's a harder topic to approach (and would make this very long), we could start with its main characters.

The problem with Tezuna is that he's extremely bland, you see, his only "thing" as a character is that he likes repairing stuff and that his sister died while he was holding his hand (which doesn't even define much of a personality). Other than that, he's just your plain ol' nice guy who helps people and fulfills power fantasy in a rather basic way, powers just come to him, he somehow understands them and he just fights. Part of that is the poor world-building and the lack of any rule except the rule of cool, which is not the problem but I feel a lack of consistency within it's "cool". Then you have Koyori, which is basically a fast-learning baby, we have no hint of her past, no idea of what her personality is, and the only progress we've made with her is that now she can cook.

A lot of other stuff I could talk about, but mostly that.

PD: You can like it anyway, it's anime, you do you, nothing wrong with that.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Two unanswered questions are the only reasons I'm still watching this show such that it is.
I'm curious how many figurine companies are going to produce the quiet, silver-haired beauty who is connected with the gears boy early next year AND of the buildings posited in Japan in this series that are using curtainwall in their architectural construction (large windows held by aluminum mullions and jambs) are all using the standard anodized aluminum color or are there certain corporations that have opted for the ever popular anodized bronze aluminum mullions?

Five episodes to go. Aluminum versus bronze as a color option: be still my beating heart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12