• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CDJapan: Avex Pictures Restricts Overseas BD, DVD, CD Shipments

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
Avex is within their rights to do this I really don't have a dog in this fight as I was never one to import Japanese Blu Rays, CDs, or DVDs, Manga and books sure but not those other things.

I'm hoping to get some clarification if this goes against the Australia Japan free trade agreement, and if it does, Avex might be forced to either licence sale in Australia or allow export to Australia (thinking more in terms of CD's than DVD/blu-rays here).
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Kosaka wrote:
The first sentence of the article currently says "December 14" instead of "February 14"; hopefully an ANN person can correct that.

I thought the same but the announcement was actually made December 14. Click on the link. It goes into effect 6:00PM (Japan Time UTC+9) on February 15, 2017 hence the article now. I think it would've been better to make an article out of it when the announcement was made so people would have more time to put in their orders before the deadline if they wanted.

CD Japan put a handy countdown on the page so as of this writing, people have 5 and a half hours to put in their orders.
meganinja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
(dual post, please delete this)

Last edited by meganinja on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
meganinja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
meganinja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
(dual post, please delete)

Last edited by meganinja on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Parsifal24 wrote:
Avex is within their rights to do this I really don't have a dog in this fight as I was never one to import Japanese Blu Rays, CDs, or DVDs, Manga and books sure but not those other things.

I'm hoping to get some clarification if this goes against the Australia Japan free trade agreement, and if it does, Avex might be forced to either licence sale in Australia or allow export to Australia (thinking more in terms of CD's than DVD/blu-rays here).

I doubt it does at least from an Australian viewpoint. Japan is not banning Australian exports. The Australian government probably wouldn't even care if some Japanese media is not being exported to Australia.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
meganinja wrote:

That's both good and bad, while it's good on the anime side, the music side, it's not, I doubt any idol CDs will be released here.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Avex "International" ought to start pumping those discs nice, pretty and cheap pronto or they will probably receive a boycott of disgruntled fans. Sadly if history *coff* Aniplex *coff* is of any reference, they will pump insane prices on anything popular and push under the rug anything in their catalog that can't sell in high volumes at high prices.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:27 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Avex "International" ought to start pumping those discs nice, pretty and cheap pronto or they will probably receive a boycott of disgruntled fans. Sadly if history *coff* Aniplex *coff* is of any reference, they will pump insane prices on anything popular and push under the rug anything in their catalog that can't sell in high volumes at high prices.

That could likely happen, I just find it ridiculous that they won't let people import, some fans prefer to do that because it goes directly to the Japanese companies.

As for Aniplex, I've resorted to importing and hoop jumping to get my DVDs to play on my computer, but it's totally worth it for me, because the discs are so cheap compared to Aniplex's U.S. prices.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
I dodged that bullet!

I bought the Yuri!!! On Ice soundtrack sometime last month.

It does seem like a dumb move though. I don't buy much media from Japan, but I still like knowing that I have that option if I want it.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I doubt it does at least from an Australian viewpoint. Japan is not banning Australian exports. The Australian government probably wouldn't even care if some Japanese media is not being exported to Australia.

Bilateral free trade agreements are supposed to work both ways though, and that includes not restricting export of goods except for reasons that don't apply here (e.g. quarantine, national treasures, national security). I have sent a query to [email protected] about it.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:20 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Still waiting for Gosick to be released, so fan subs it is.

Why not import the Australian release?

Or take a look at Funimation's Facebook page to see that they teased having the rights for it. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kosaka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
Thanks for setting me straight, crosswithyou. I missed the date at the top of the linked-to page. I got an email from CD Japan on Feb. 14 that was similar to the linked-to page, so I was thinking the linked-to page went up at the same time.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:31 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Bilateral free trade agreements are supposed to work both ways though, and that includes not restricting export of goods except for reasons that don't apply here (e.g. quarantine, national treasures, national security). I have sent a query to [email protected] about it.

If you were talking about commodities that are traded on the stock exchange, I could see that. But I seriously doubt the Australian government will care whether or not some anime makes it there or not.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:59 am Reply with quote
meganinja wrote:

...And that was the other thought I had; Avex is going Aniplex USA on us. I hope they make their music available Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6