• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Memories associated with a series?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:53 am Reply with quote
We all have series that were memorable to us... our first series, and anime that made us laugh, cry, think, or throw things at our screens. But what I'm curious about is this: does anyone have mental associations between anime series and the circumstances in which you watched them? Things like where or when you watched the series, your stage in life / mental state at the time, who you watched it with, time of day, how you acquired it, or even the food and drink you consumed while watching it?

I thought of this idea while watching the last disc of Paniponi Dash! tonight -- it brought back memories of late 2006 / early 2007 when the first volumes were coming out, and I was working split shifts at work (11:30-2:00 / 5:00-11:00 or later) 4-6 days per week. I'd come home after the morning shift with some Mr. Pibb from work in hand, pour come Captain Morgan Private Stock into that Pibb, and throw in a disc of PPD because I needed that comic relief. So I would drink my drink and laugh at all the random hilarity while trying to keep up with all the onscreen text and Vid-notes, and then go back for the night shift slightly happier and less stressed out.

Another one is Ai yori aoshi -- the series itself had its ups and downs, but I remember rolling through to the dramatic finale back in August 2004 on the day I had my wisdom teeth pulled. (Now that was a trip, going through the procedure and driving to the grocery store for prescriptions and soft foods before making it home.) Thanks to the music, the art, and the lovely Aoi Sakuraba, it was a relaxing experience that took my mind off things. Then I tried to start Chobits, but the drugs kicked in and I couldn't stay awake Laughing

One of my favorite social anime experiences was with Prétear; I'd seen some of it in late 2004 via Anime Network and at anime club, and the anime club decided to finish off the series at the end-of-semester marathon. Whatever the series' flaws, the last few episodes feature quite a bit of spoiler[sacrifice, character death, emotional breakthroughs, and happy-ending resurrections], so the crowd watching it in a darkened room got caught up in the mood. By the time the last episodes ended, I'd say a good percentage of the room was either crying or trying not to. Mass catharsis -- a beautiful thing.

I've got more, but I wouldn't want to open my first thread in ages with a tl; dr. So, does anyone else have memories and sensations connected with certain series? Or is it just me?
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:14 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Chobits, I remember it as one of my firsts of a lot of things. "Digital anime" versus the stuff I had seen like Trigun, DBZ and Gundam Wing. Pure comedy with no action at all and pretty episodic for awhile, different again from what I was exposed to before. And of course, SUBTITLED!

I always think of how I would sit down and watch an episode or two a night before I would go to bed. Now I seem to rush through anime too often and almost never enjoy it like I did then.(I forced myself to watch only 1-3 eps of Mushishi a day)

While watching and also when I think back of Air, I just feel...calm. The first arc was my favorite because it didn't have much of the seriousness of the others and was just an amazing serene place to be. Cute and charming that somehow brought me in and let me lay back with the other characters.
animebrainyanic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:03 am Reply with quote
Oh, memorable experiences which associated with any series have watched, there is one I have to say that is I, My, Me, Strawberry Eggs. It was a memorable series and all comedy scenes were totally punchlines. The memory still sticks to my mind as if it will be in my long-term memory as said in my psychology class. It just brings memories of my class when I was in grade school, I did have a crush on somebody, and I after that I've the courage to introduce myself to that person, and when I'm at it, I'm shaking like hell, and then laugh, then punches somebody on the face. In the end, I became friends with her. spoiler[(Sorry, it's just a silly childish friendship) ]I can't help but laugh when re-watching this series, 'cause it just brings memories of me in the past.

Apparently this is one recent but memorable experience, Kanon 2006 This is one heck of the anime that does relate to me. When ever I see Makoto the fox in this series I thought of being helpless and heck, 'why did she die?', especially evertime when I'm doing a project on my thesis. Laughing I was on down to hell, can't thought of something, something innovative, I'm out of money, the submission date is just a week from now. I was so helpless like hell. Well, to do that I have to watch Kanon to let go of my unhappiness and being pessimistic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Truered

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:57 am Reply with quote
Well Azumanga Daioh often reminds me of my first job from earlier this year. But that was mainly due to the manga- before leaving I'd read a few strips to help prepare me for the soul destroying world of retail.

Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa and Laputa all remind me of last summer and a growth in interest in anime. They were the first anime films I purposefully watched and so I associate them with my eventual downfall into the anime nerd typing this Confused

Also I know it isn't the greatest show but Pokemon. It holds a lot of happy memories for me, as it occured during what I call was the best time of my life. My Nan was alive and healthy, I had a large group of good friends, and I really enjoyed the final two years of primary school. I even remember on the Red version of the game trying to do the missingo trick on a bus during a France trip. Unlike some of my friends I mainly got caught up in the anime, so when I see clips/references I think back to the last time I was truly happy, when my parents and Grandparents were in good health and life seemed like an adventure.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote
Well an anime that brings back memories for me would be:

Great Teacher Onizuka because well after watching the series I was inspired to become a teacher. Maybe not quite the extreme Onizuka was but to a point where I could emulate the same beliefs I agreed upon with the series. Its been 2 summers since I first watched it and I'm still following the path to becoming a teacher though habit wise I'm still no different than I was 2 summers ago.

well thats it for my first post in about a year or so.

- IchigoK90
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jetz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote
For me it's Shakugan no Shana and Ouran High School Host Club. I think I watched the series at about the same time. Anyway, I was really having a tough time back when I was watching both series - My relationship with my dad wasn't going well. He was having terrible migraines at that time and because of that, he became more grumpy than before. I remember watching Shakugan no Shana, specifically the episode when Shana was fighting with Friagne, when all of a sudden I got into a fight with my dad (can't remember why though). It made me really upset and I watched the rest of the episode crying. The same thing happened when I was watching the last 4 episodes of Ouran. Watching SnS and Ouran really made me feel better though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alestal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quote
For me there is so many, because I dont watch anything unless it makes an impact on me. I have to learn a lesson from something for me to really appreciate a story, whether that story be presented in cartoons,anime,books, or tv.

Only Yesterday
At the time I first watched this movie I was about to go into highschool, I've been living in the same area since I was in kindergarten, I knew all the people in my grade because I had grown up with them. We'd all been friends at one point or another and watching this movie made me realize how much we'd all changed, we used to be exactly like those kids, we used to laugh and play with anyone. But now we'd all settled into out "clicks" and suddenly we were treating old friends like dirt... Watching this movie made me realize that I'd grown up and that I started to judge people. So this movie taught me not to forget those days in school where the "loser" girl down the street helped me cut out teddy bears on my first day of kindergarten... Smile

Fruits Basket
When I watched this my parents were getting seperated and I was moving out of my house into a apartment. During this time I was sad, but when I watched fruits basket it reminded me to be grateful of what(& who) I have.

theres more but thats all i care to write now.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:30 am Reply with quote
What comes to mind immediatly for me is Vision of Escaflowne. I bought it with some of the cash I recieved for my high school graduation in 2001 (the expensive LE set with the action figure) because my friend and I both watched it on FOX when it aired and frequently talked in class about how we were mad they canceled it without airing the rest of it. So I called him over and over the course of two days we marithoned the thing. We had lots of snacks, soda, and the works and it was great since we were both out of school and were promptly bored out of our minds with nothing to do. Both of us highly enjoyed the series and found it was better than we thought it would be. Then I went off to college and he went into the Air Force and I haven't heard from him which is usually how all my friendships work out. Sad
Eruanna

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
Pokemon. Pokemon generates a warm sence of nostalgia unlike anything else. I was in grade five when it hit, and I remember collecting and trading my pokemon cards at lunch time on the school playground. I remember playing the games and watching the show. The entire world of pokemon generated such a magic to me that I still respond to.
Even though the show really.... was pretty terrible, it drew me into something pretty big.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bunchuu of Chouka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I'd say most any show that was on Toonami back in the day manages to rouse some nostalgia. Back in the day, I'd watch those shows and lose myself for a few hours. No matter how my day at school might have gone, I had Toonami to fall back on. When I look back on my childhood, things like Pokemon and anime tend to play a part in many of the treasured social interactions I had as a kid.

As far as specific shows go, well, there are a lot of them. Big O was the first anime I was really obsessed with. This would have been only a few years ago, when it aired on Adult Swim. Me and my friends would stay up late and watch it, blown away by each and every episode. I still love this series, and it reminds me of those care-free high school days that I now miss.

Shows like Zoids and Dragonball/DragonballZ remind me of my childhood; afternoons spent watching Toonami with my younger brother.

Really, I enjoy anime a lot. However, I also enjoy the nostalgia that certain shows can bring- and this nostalgia sometimes enhances the quality of said series. Lol, I guess I like to watch a few shows just to reverie about the 'good old days'- it's really a guilty pleasure of mine.
Who knows. Maybe I'm just living in the past Confused
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I will skip the massive rant on my nostalgia concerning Shaman King (you really don't want to hear it) and move on to a different series I don't yammer on about constantly: Galaxy Angel.

I rented most of the series through Netflix and really enjoyed it (even though they kept sending me the discs out of order, although fortunately GA is a series where that doesn't matter much). When I saw that RightStuf was having a sale on Bandai titles, I decided to buy the collections of the first season and A. True to form, A came first while the other set was backordered. Coincidentally, my parents decided to go out that evening. When this happens, it's tradition for me to go to the store and get a couple frozen dinners (like macaroni and cheese or french bread pizza or something), a 12-pack of Coke, and sit down with my brother to watch anime until my parents get home.

Now, my brother is 10 years old. He's a typical young boy, with a love for action, gun violence, heroic male characters, etc. I'd already showed him Fullmetal Alchemist, Matantei Loki Ragnarok, Appleseed, and the Ghibli films toward the less 'cute' end of the spectrum, and he really enjoyed most of them (he gets to watch GitS: SAC when he's a bit older:p). When I suggested we watch Galaxy Angel while our parents were out, he groaned about it, but finally said okay. We got through the first three DVDs before my parents came home and told us to go to bed, and after they'd gone to sleep my brother came into my room and said "Mom and Dad have that party to go to next weekend, so can we watch more Galaxy Angel then?"

I was amazed at how much he just loved that series. He started quoting it all over the place, and once when I was coming upstairs from letting my dog out, I overheard him talking to his Sonic the Hedgehog and tachikoma plushies (both of which I bought for him) all about how cool GA was and how he was so happy that I'd bought it, and how they were both invited to come downstairs and watch too next weekend. So now, whenever I put in GA to make myself laugh when I'm feeling low, I also think about how much my brother loved it the first time he saw it.

He'll probably kill me for putting this story on the internet, but it's too cute not to. I love being a big sister ^^;
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Vampire Hunter D, the original, will always have a special place for me. Back in '91 or '92 when I was 11 Vampire Hunter D was airing on the Sci-Fi channel and I really wanted to see it. I don't think my parents knew what they were getting into, I'm not even sure that I did, but somehow we watched VHD as a family that night. But that's not the only thing that makes that night memorable, that was also the night that I truly discovered anime for the first time (Sci-Fi billed the block which also included Lenseman and Robot Carnival "Adventures in Japanese Animation", those two I ended up watching on a later rebroadcast) and I've been hooked ever since.

Emerje
Bunchuu of Chouka

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I know it's off-topic...
but that story was adorable, Murasakisuishou Smile
Lol, it's always interesting to introduce a younger sibling to anime.
Zewerr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I always used Cromartie High School as an introduction of anime for people who don't watch anime. Most of the people I know don't watch anime. If someone comes over, and want to watch something. I'll fire up an episode of Cro High and see how they like it. The fact that they are 15 minute episodes makes it even better! Usually people love it, and it's always a source for good laughs with other people.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Fruits Basket reminds me of when I first started getting into shojo manga back in Japan. I remember watching on TV on some afternoon after coming home from Japanese middle school. Pokemon, Yugioh, Crayon Shinchan, Digimon, Doraemon, Kochikame, Inuyasha, and Case Closed, Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko Chan reminds of watching of Japanese family hour, or early Sunday/Saturday morning programming. They were all enjoyable shows to watch too. BPS, Ippo, and Baki remind me of staying up late after 12am watching the late night anime series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3