• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kee-razy Japanese Snack Products

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:05 am Reply with quote
I recently became addicted to Mochi Ice Cream.

They're green-tea ice cream balls wrapped in a sweetened rice patty of some sort, and they are godly. I now make excuses to drive to the Asian market which is a bajillion miles away just to get some.

Share your Japanese snack favorite. And if anybody jumps up and says "POCKY!!! ^_^" I'll die.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:07 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

They're green-tea ice cream balls wrapped in a sweetened rice patty of some sort, and they are godly. I now make excuses to drive to the Asian market which is a bajillion miles away just to get some.

Mochi is the best! They have other flavors as well, such as mango, coffee, etc. I never thought you could put ice cream in sticky rice and make it taste good, but whooo!

I have yet to taste a Japanese snack food that I don't like. (Has anyone seen the Japanese commercial for Mikado? It's like, some Pocky-looking thing. Anyway, it's the one with the woman in the copy room, and it's great.)

Anyway, speaking of Japanese snacks, they recently had a an ice cream expo where merchants displayed their ice cream flavors, ala squid, wasabi, etc. The article can be read with pictures here:
http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/japano/0207/ice-cream/1.html
ghoti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:50 am Reply with quote
Only japanese snack that I ever tasted vere some sort of rice cracker/cookies, that my uncle brought from Japan. They came in various tastes, wrapped in a seaweed coating. As far as I rember he said that they were quite popular there, but I don't remember their name.
As a creature that was quite unfamiliar with such thingies I was surprised that they were so tasty, a bit salty nonethles, but tasty. ^_^
Gai Super Napalm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:51 am Reply with quote
what's wrong with pocky? mens pocky is delectable.

other than that I like wasabi covered peas, chocolate collon, and of course kasugai gummies. I think my favorite is the melon one, although muscat comes in a close second.

Theres also these little chewy things, they have some sort of vanilla gummy stuff on the outside and fruit on the inside.. I don't know what they're called though.
boobooB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:25 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

Share your Japanese snack favorite. And if anybody jumps up and says "POCKY!!! ^_^" I'll die.

MOCHI ICE CRM IS SOOO GOOD! esp the green tea one!
BC Anime

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:53 pm Reply with quote
i just recently bought mochi (chocolate) and it is soooo good. hopefully trader joe's will get more flavors =D
boobooB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Have you guys seen this site?
Its not up yet but it looks like it could be cool:
http://www.japanesesnacks.com/

this is an extra =)
http://www.seagull-ny.com/foods/nframe/snack.html
ownerizer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:47 am Reply with quote
well, I haven't tried any, but Pocky was pretty popular at AnimeFEST! People started paying about $10+ for a box
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
boobooB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:29 pm Reply with quote
ownerizer wrote:

well, I haven't tried any, but Pocky was pretty popular at AnimeFEST! People started paying about $10+ for a box

$10+ ?!?!? that is OUTRAGEOUS! who knew they can sell pocky at that price!
nagash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Being allergic to seafood, I avoid Japanese food like the plague. I was actually told by my Japanese teacher not to try anything I couldn't read or figure out what was in it.

I have to admit, however, that the snacks are very popular. I was at a game convention last January. The game was Kill Dr. Lucky. This was part of a tournament. There were 6 players (including myself). Just before the game, one of the girls pulled a gigantic box of strawberry Pocky out (I think it was a 100 count). It was gone in 5 minutes. She had pulled it out for her and her friend and the referee for the game wound up eating half the box.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1