• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KONOSUBA - God's blessing on this wonderful world! 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
He does have good chemistry with Darkness, and really with the three of them in ways not usual. Kazuma and Aqua don't let the other get away with anything.

I am still on the Kazuma and Megumin ship, strangely I think she is the one he has most attached to, sort of accepted and accompanied her explosion search, while more put off by Darkness.

Still, the part where they grappling each other is great character, Darkness overpowering him with her strength and him draining her. They are a great/awful pair.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Kazuma is interested in megumin sexually, to him she's an annoying kid that he's fond of, unlike darkness whom he freely ogles whenever she ends up showing skin. He's a boob man (darkness, the guild reception lady, the succubus brothel, all boobs). He's definitely wierded out by darkness's preferences but at the same time once he gets into full pervert mode he's pretty much a match for her. In that way they definitely suite each other.

Aqua seems like the really annoying sister to him, I don't see any kind of sexual connection between them, I don't think he's ever once looked at her lustfully (granted my memories of season 1 aren't perfect). The fact that she walks around with a super miniskirt and no underwear and he hasn't reacted to that at all should say something heh.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I remember liking Seinfeld. To me it was a show of deplorable people trying to cheat whatever system lay before them, and getting screwed for it by the end. Konosuba does this well. Every character is entertaining in their deplorable behavior alone - and their fall from whatever gains are made are just as entertaining - because we know they all deserve getting taken down a peg.

The animation leaves a sakuga fan wanting, this season is by far worse than the first. But I'm too busy having a great time to really care. More!
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:30 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
The animation leaves a sakuga fan wanting, this season is by far worse than the first. But I'm too busy having a great time to really care. More!

Being a sakuga fan, I couldn't be more satisfied with this season.

On a related note, the reason why KONOSUBA's breast look like this is simply because Koichi Kikuta likees saggy breasts. As far as I know, everything in KONOSUBA's production pretends to make it as funny as possible, so it's not wrong thinking that the boob physics are intending that, but the overall design is purely the char designer's preference.
dash56

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I haven't really been feeling this season as much as the first. This episode changed all of that and so far is the best of S2. I really do hope that next week is a Megumin ep, that'll be something to look forward to.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Talking about Megumin, I was wondering why she wasn't getting bugs to roast while Kazuma and Aqua were complaining about starving. She has great survival skills! Maybe she has a secret stash of food?
I was suspicious about letting Megumin go off to eradicate monsters on her own. She can only use her power once, then she's useless. But as far as I can tell, she was still standing when she showed up at the end of the episode...maybe she didn't use her powers at all?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:33 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they moved the dungeon crawling episode to this season, because it provided enough of a buffer between Darkness leaving and returning that I actually started to miss her (no small wonder considering she's the least interesting party member in my eyes).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:25 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I don't think Kazuma is interested in megumin sexually, to him she's an annoying kid that he's fond of, unlike darkness whom he freely ogles whenever she ends up showing skin. He's a boob man (darkness, the guild reception lady, the succubus brothel, all boobs). He's definitely wierded out by darkness's preferences but at the same time once he gets into full pervert mode he's pretty much a match for her. In that way they definitely suite each other.

Aqua seems like the really annoying sister to him, I don't see any kind of sexual connection between them, I don't think he's ever once looked at her lustfully (granted my memories of season 1 aren't perfect). The fact that she walks around with a super miniskirt and no underwear and he hasn't reacted to that at all should say something heh.

Indeed Aqua is like a sister to him, he does not see her in that way, and it is actually one of the funny gags. Like in the OVA he mentions mild ways he sexually harassed them without their knowing, and Aqua's was that he could not see her as a heroine no matter how he tried.

For the record Kazuma mentioned that he would shift Megumin on his back to feel her "flat chest" against his back. I think to Darkness he said that he thought of her as mostly boobs. While attracted to Darkness, the older women thing has always seemed to be something he has mentioned as liking. He has kind of really worked at chemistry with them kind of getting involved in the same thing. Kazuma seems to also mentioned that he knows all too well the sort of chuunibyou thing.

I think even if he attracted to one more physically, he is more spiritually connected to the other. Megumin even does dirty and petty tricks in duels against Yunyun much like Kazuma does. Age is actually kind of an odd thing really in this show, Kazuma has been seen drinking but is only about 17 years old, And yet Megumin is apparently too young to drink.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
A couple of episodes back, Megumin objected that she was 'only three years younger' than Kazuma, so that still puts her under a common milestone age of sixteen if he's 17. On the other and, Yunyun looks closer to 17 than 14, and she's presumably of a similar age to Megumin, so...
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Kazuma x Darkness, let that ship sail!!! (Did anyone think that it was intended as a pun?)

This second season feels and looks for very different than the first one, but is also much more hilarious! It's isn't everyday that you get to meet such a likeable cast (all four of them are adorable) and such great jokes landing one after the other. I can't even begin to imagine how this will end, but I do know that I want Kazuma and Darkness/Lalatina to end up together, they are just too cute not to! ...And they deserve one another so much.

In the start I think everybody thought that Aqua would be the main love interest, but now I can't see that, no way. But there is this thing called a BROTP - Kazuma and Aqua are destined to be besties for life. Kuzuma and Damegami are the Dream Team, keep it up you guys!

Megumin I love you too. Everybody loves Megumin. You're so cute Megumin!

Goddamnit I can't choose a favorite character.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I do appreciate that Kazuma's relationship with each girl is unique. In most harem shows the male lead treats all the girls with the same sort of embarrassed politeness but here Kazuma's interactions with the girls range from sibling-like to barely contained irritation to downright why-arent-they-sexing-already. It really makes it rise above the usual harem mush. Though it feels it barely counts as harem as the only one who might actually want Kazuma is Darkness, and her tastes are questionable.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 was a nice return to form after last week's. The humour was far more spot on, Darkness was back in top form, and the events were a great parody on epic fantasy/quest fantasy.

I really liked the entirety of the fight with Vanir this week. From the moment it started with Darkness and Kazuma to how it ended things just worked on both an animation and storytelling level. It was also really funny, but that's mostly just how I felt about how they really played with the idea of a truly personal fight (something the other major Devil King Commander conflicts didn't play out as).

CheezcakeMe wrote:
I do appreciate that Kazuma's relationship with each girl is unique. In most harem shows the male lead treats all the girls with the same sort of embarrassed politeness but here Kazuma's interactions with the girls range from sibling-like to barely contained irritation to downright why-arent-they-sexing-already. It really makes it rise above the usual harem mush. Though it feels it barely counts as harem as the only one who might actually want Kazuma is Darkness, and her tastes are questionable.

I think you're discounting Megumin's interest in him a little too much, but it's definitely not as strong as Darkness's for sure (on the show). Also I agree, it is rather refreshing to see a show where the male lead isn't just some sort of pushover milquetoast stand-in for the audience. Harem elements always work best when the protagonist defies those practices.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Best episode of S2 so far. The "struggle" between Darkness and Vanir was hysterical.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Someone on another forum suggested that Darkness should get a cursed sword that hurts her or saps energy every time she uses it, so she'll have incentive to practice and get better at swordwielding. This episode proved what a great idea that would be. I loved Vanis' confusion when he realized that Darkness was *enjoying* his possession! But they still allowed her character to be brave and noble in the end when she asked Megumin to blow her to Kingdom Come. Of course, she made it out with barely a scratch (I kind of thought it would've been funny if she would have been in a body cast, but then she would have been out of commission again).
Anyone else think it was too easy & soon to let the whole group off the hook (legally + debt free) at the end of the episode? If these characters aren't struggling to make a buck, they might not do anything at all! Very Happy
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Someone on another forum suggested that Darkness should get a cursed sword that hurts her or saps energy every time she uses it, so she'll have incentive to practice and get better at swordwielding. This episode proved what a great idea that would be. I loved Vanis' confusion when he realized that Darkness was *enjoying* his possession! But they still allowed her character to be brave and noble in the end when she asked Megumin to blow her to Kingdom Come. Of course, she made it out with barely a scratch (I kind of thought it would've been funny if she would have been in a body cast, but then she would have been out of commission again).
Anyone else think it was too easy & soon to let the whole group off the hook (legally + debt free) at the end of the episode? If these characters aren't struggling to make a buck, they might not do anything at all! Very Happy

Pretty sure Kazume or Aqua will find away to get right back into debt next episode Smile

I do like the idea that everybody in the party is actually really badass except they all have a screw loose that makes them kinda terrible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 13