• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A general Questions about the ending in Karas

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkSamurai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
*WARINING IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN KARAS YET PRESS BACK NOW OTHERS WISE RUIN THE ENDING FOR YOURSELVES*

ok in the ending credits of karas the relevation you see a mysterious man or girl underneath the sower. Who is it? does anybody have an idea? all i know is that i believe one of Eko's men survived and it was, Correct me if im wrong: The robotic gentlemen that absorb the kid who was talking on the phone. What happend ever happend to him. So it really can't be over. The karas was nothing but six episodes made into movies. Maybe they'll come out with a movie in the near future. Im just asking for help thats all. If anybody can help me, that'll be great.

thanks for taking the time to read my topic.
mpchi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Don't think that 'gentleman' survived. He is the car monster guy. From what they showed, its really hard to tell who the ending shadow belongs to. And since Eko's gold boot is of little significance, I think its just one of those "this is what remains of the bad guy" type ending, rather than something that leads to a possible sequel thing. Thats my thought.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I agree with mpchi. Also, Eko didn't even HAVE a gold boot until The Revelation. There were numerous design inconsistencies between all the Karases from Prophecy to Revelation and the gold boot was one of them. I don't think the gold boot has any significance.

Also, watch the "Crude Version" extra on The Revelation. It shows all of the final episode in the originally planned form. In that version, the sewer scene is shown at a different time, which makes it seem much less important. I think it was moved to the end in the final version just for fun, but in reality it is not supposed to mean much. I personally believe that Otoha/Karas is the one who found it, especially given the timing of the Crude Version. Even if it wasn't, what are they gonna do with some gold boot. It's not like you can make another Karas from his shoe, or can you? I doubt it, anyways. And Eko didn't used to have the shoe, he left it at home for The Prophecy. Wink

And the car monster died, yeah. There's no bad guys left.

This brings up another funny question though that the ending to Revelation made me wonder...Who does Karas (Otoha) fight now that Eko is gone? He says "You are all under my protection. I am Karas!" or something like that. Lol. But what does he protect them from, all the bad guys are gone. Eko made all the bad guys and he was a Karas too. So who do the Karas fight normally? Every city has a Karas but they must all be pretty bored because they don't have anyone to fight! Smile
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Him turning gold wasn't really an inconsistancy it happened as a result of spoiler[Eko recieving the power/lifeforce/whatever of all the city's people. ] That when it first happened, and even if it did change I wouldn't consider it a abnormal considering that the Karas suits can spontaneously turn into vehicles and planes and produce a multitude of random weaponry from nowhere. It's not exactly grounded in reality.

As to your other point maybe they're normally like the Batman and just go arround wiping the floor with random street punks and Yakuza. It'd be pretty mundane compared to fighting mechanized demon things though. Laughing
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Actually I think Eko already had the gold boot when he achieved his "half-Karas" form right after spoiler[Nue killed his Yurine.]He hadn't yet finished his "tentacle machine" at that point. Even then, it doesn't make sense to me that suddenly Eko has a gold boot when he doesn't before. Why should any of these changes have caused him to suddenly have one gold boot on one leg and not the other? I can understand it if he had a general power-level upgrade (or downgrade) due to his "changes"....but suddenly a gold boot appears on only one foot for no reason? That does not seem to make any sense so I attributed that to an inconsistent design change. At least that's how I feel. It also doesn't make sense when spoiler[Eko is finally killed, and he disappears into feathers like all Karases are supposed to, sword and all, but suddenly his boot is still left over for no good reason.] If anything, that tempts me to say that his boot wasn't really a part of him. It's like Eko transformed into Karas, then later on he went to the shoe store and saw a gold boot that he liked, and he bought it and put it on. Smile So it's not really a part of himself, so if Eko dies his boot doesn't disappear with him (like his sword, armor, and everything else does).

Also, I rewatched Revelation last night, and I also noticed that in the scene in question, a black feather falls over Eko's boot in the sewer. That's extremely strong evidence that the Shadow we see is Otoha's shadow. Because wherever Otoha goes he leaves a black feather (in the various ending epilogue scenes).

I thought of another question too. Is Otoha his real name? When we see his past, all of Otoha's aquaintaces call him 'Yousuke'. So his real name is Yousuke I think. So who named him Otoha? Maybe Yurine did?

Anyways, yeah that seems funny, I can just imagine Karas running around beating up lowlife street thugs with his Transform into Jet Plane! Transform into Car! Fly all around and WAHYAH CHOP CHOP superpowers. Kind of overkill. Smile
ashere65

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:17 pm Reply with quote
His full name is Yousuke Otoha.

Also anyone also caught off guard bt the sudden spouting of olde english by Eko almost half way through the film?
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:06 pm Reply with quote
How do you know his full name is Yousuke Otoha? Where did you get that from?

I was also disturbed by Eko's olde English. It exists for all of The Revelation, just to be clear, and did not exist in The Prophecy. Just an inconsistency in the way Bang Zoom! did the subtitling. The color of the subs also changed colors... Razz

BTW, I re-watched all of Karas again, and realized that Eko DID have the gold boot in Prophecy. He always had it, but it was less obvious in the introduction fight due to the lighting. There are other design inconsistencies though, but those might be considered more minor. He lost his trenchcoat/cape in Revelation, and his eye color changed from purple to a significantly different blue color (I would say that the color change is too significant to be attributed to lighting differences).

Here's another weird thing about Karas though which had been bugging me, and which I confirmed while rewatching. At the end of the intro fight in Prophecy, where Eko stands victorious with his henchmen/Mikura, his primary henchman/Mikura is some mystery guy who NEVER APPEARS LATER in the show! This is the guy who tried to pick up the defeated Karas' sword. Wanyudo doesn't seem to be in that scene though (Kamaitachi, Tsuchigumo, Kappa, and that mystery Mikura). But the mystery Mikura guy looks way too different to be Wanyudo. Looks more like Nue, but way different from Nue too. It's also not Nue's brother since we get to see what he looks like in Revelation, and he also looks way different.

Oh yeah, another thing I just learned. Watch the "Making Of Behind the Scenes" extra on Prophecy. You can notice that all the animators are working on Karas Episode 6!! All the computer monitors and paper images are scenes from the final episode of Karas. So I guess Episode 6 was already close to completion when Prophecy was released. So why the 2-year wait?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty certain that mystery guy from the end of the opening fight was supposed to be Nue while he was a mikura. The similarities are too close, he even has glasses in that shot even though they're more technological in appearance as opposed to the normal glasses he wears in other scenes. I believe the whole purpose of focusing on him was to introduce his character prior to his defection, he's the only one that showed interest in the fallen Karas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DarkSamurai

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quote
WOW all of you seem to have alot of Knowledge about KARAS especially you, Porcupine. I agree with everything you say. It's true that all the karas gone through some changes. Especially otaha. His armor was black and gold. Probably because he got a new yurine. But remember when otaha said im under your protection. Who is he really going to protect.

The feathers also resembled that whoever found a black feather was the ones who survived the calamity. But also eko told otaha who he was about to die was that "In time you shall walk the same path as i maybe he meant that in time ohtaha will realize that protecting the city is pointless. Why protect something if it's going to die anyway. And the boot. If you say that it was ohtaha who found the boot, then whats he going to do with it? Some who who received the black feather survived, so it must've of been ohtaha or it could of been someone else. And one more question. How was eko able to transform without his yurine?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How do you know his full name is Yousuke Otoha? Where did you get that from?

Because it's Japanese etiquette to call people by their family name if you don't know them well or are being rigid or formal (like Yurine always is) and by their given name only if you're very familliar with them.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:10 pm Reply with quote
That's true but I still wouldn't call that solid proof that his full name is Yousuke Otoha.

I'll also remark that when Yurine first appears to Otoha way back in The Prophecy and calls him Otoha, Otoha says "O...To...Ha?" as if he doesn't know his own name. If I remember correctly. I would have to watch again to be sure.

I guess it would help if I knew if Otoha and Eko are "normal" last names in Japanese? Are they? Are there any real Japanese people with surnames Otoha and Eko?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:32 pm Reply with quote
DarkSamurai wrote:
And one more question. How was eko able to transform without his yurine?

If I remember correctly didn't he have his own trapped in some sort of device with blue gas.

Porcupine wrote:
This brings up another funny question though that the ending to Revelation made me wonder...Who does Karas (Otoha) fight now that Eko is gone? He says "You are all under my protection. I am Karas!" or something like that. Lol. But what does he protect them from, all the bad guys are gone. Eko made all the bad guys and he was a Karas too. So who do the Karas fight normally?

The Mikura, I know all the ones we see in the OAV are now dead, but that doesn't mean it's all of them. Remember Eko was the Karas from the Edo period, so it's safe to say that they probably don't go out everyday and fight crime. If Evil demons come along though, I think that would be a job for Karas. And just like the "new" Karas was "born", it would not be to much a stretch of the imagination that new demons or Mikura could also be created. And every city has it's own Karas, and as we see, the Karas's from other cities can in fact enter other Karas's cities(although most of them choose to only observe, that is just there choice, if they want they can interact). Would it not also be fair to say that if every city has a Karas, then more than likey every city has it's own evil spirits which can come and go as they please. So in short, I don't think he will have nothing to do, but considering the long lives of these characters, I bet it can get pretty boring.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the things I was disappointed in with Karas was with the character development of Homura. Besides just wanting to know more about her, I think it would have been perfect for her to be a love interest of Obata. Think of the implications that would have. Two cities in love with each other, the first to help each other out. Either way I understand that there is just so much you can do in the time of an OVA, but nonetheless I wanted to know her better.

And yes I admit I did like her character design. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I like Homura too (the female Karas, she's never mentioned by that name in the show itself, but I guess that is supposed to be her name) but I was sad because she is WAY uglier in Revelation compared to the Prophecy. She is one of the characters who suffered the most in terms of drawing quality, possibly due to a long layoff between Prophecy and Revelation. She doesn't look anything like she used to. The other character who got a lot uglier was Nue's little bug-friend.
spoiler[Your explanation of who the Karas normally fight makes sense. I thought of that too, and it is the explanation I favor most. But a few things still bother me. It's said in the show itself that Eko made all these Mikura, he transformed them from the Yokai they used to be. I don't know if Yokai can turn into Mikura via other means. But who knows. I guess that the Karas can also protect people from evil Yokai, if any exist.

In regards to DarkSamurai's question, Nue killed Eko's Yurine in Revelation. Nue also disintegrated Eko's true body (it was in a bubble bath too, and it was of an old shriveled geezer with one eye poked out). Right after that, Eko said "Wahaha! I was waiting for you to do that, foolish Nue. You thought I cannot survive without my Yurine and real body but BEHOLD THIS!" then he shoved his Karas eye-watch thing into his chest and somehow turned into his semi-Karas form via some sort of unexplained cheating method. Smile And then he chopped Otoha's Yurine, who was also in a bubble tank except she had clothes on, in half and she died too. That scene was kinda confusingly done though, because it wasn't depicted well. When Eko chopped Otoha's Yurine suddenly she appeared out of nowhere as if she were standing next to him the whole time, out in the open. But she was actually in that bubble tank under him. There were 3 bubble tanks in that room in total.

Apparently Eko, while still possessing his own Yurine, does not have a completely free will of his own. This prevents him from killing his own Yurine and even from killing Otoha's Yurine. So he could only tie them up and put them into bubble tanks. Apparently his mind let him purposefully allow Nue to destroy them, but by the things Eko said, even that was difficult for him to allow. Because he loves his Yurine and/or she partially controls his mind or something.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1