• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Chinamation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes, I remember seeing ads for this a few years ago. I also remember thinking "Oh really? News to me..." at the claim that it was just exploding in popularity and sweeping America.

So, what are these "good product" that China has made more recently?
hikura

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Good grief.Why does this remind me of the movie,"Clash of the Bionoids"?Bad dubbing cuppled with even choppy animation makes it worse then clash of the bionoids.Never thought i would say there was something worse then a bad dub job and what they did with clash of the bionoids.
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
As someone who goes back to China, I've seen my share of Chinamation, and boy is it bad. :p But the bad animation aside, China is coming out with some very good manga (well, I should say manhua to be politically correct), two of which I am actually eagerly following. One of them is called 黑白无双 (in pinyin: he bai wu shuang) and feature a pair of siblings who work as Chinese shinigamis but can never do their jobs right. The other is a series called 超合金社团 (English title is apparently "Superalloy Association" where association means club) where a girl gets tricked by her best friend into becoming the president of her school defunct anime club, and all the chaos and hilarity that follows. The art in both series are very nice, and despite looking very "Japanese" in style, the stories and characters are actually engaging and well thought out. I can see them getting licensed and even animated, and if done right they would be a lot more enjoyable than the crap we saw today. Very Happy
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Brent Long wrote:

Partner this very distinct group of actors with the poor natue of the production and it becomes pretty likely who dubbed this... the infamous Arvintel Media Productions.

This is what happens when you let that a Mexican voice-actor (and the younger brother of a VERY famous one) tries very hard to make a place in the U.S. English voice-acting industry.

BTW, for the moderators, I hope that doesn't sounds a bit harsh against Mexicans because I'M a Mexican.
hamtaroboy2006

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote
It's funny because the voice acting sucks and the animation is laughably bad. Laughing

Everything is so freaking slow.
I would actually just buy Way of the Warriors' cover if it was only a poster. The sad thing is the cover art isn't that bad.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh gosh, me and my brother recognized Mona Marshall (Or, well, 'Izzy') when we saw the Mighty Bunch clip. That means they were actually telling the *truth* about using actual anime voice actors...that makes me really, really sad.

Unlike Garzey's Wing....I have no desire to see this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
In other topic, you can laugh at China's attepts to anime, but in the same way you can laugh at the live action attempts of japan, the acting on many dramas and movies are Horrid, carton acting, but I would love to buy a licensed version of "Monkey King: Quest for the sutra" and "The journey to the west" China Rule the live action's!!!
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
This is absolutely brilliant!

I have never seen a work more efficient than these at turning children into God fearing machines.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
nooneofconsequence wrote:
Okay, so Chinamation is to Chinese animation as to what the stuff Digiview Entertainmen picks up from Korea and sells for a dollar at Walmart is to Korean animation.

Ah yes. Who can forget such classics like "Defenders of Space"? Rolling Eyes

A little something for your future reviews Justin? *nudge* *nudge* Twisted Evil

Maybe... I'm still missing a few from the last batch, as there are no Walmarts in NYC and by the time I got my parents to look for them in Detroit they had stopped selling 'em. The thing is, most of those are so bad that they stop being funny and start being outright painful.

See the "Bargain Bin" threads on Anime on DVD's Region 1 (North America) DVD News & Views Forum for eight reviews of this type of material. (E.g., StarBirds, Space Transformers, and Solar Adventure.)

Edit: Not that I'm trying to stop Justin from reviewing bad Korean animation—I just thought to offer a stopgap until he does. Very Happy

Last edited by doc-watson42 on Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:18 am; edited 2 times in total
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
God, I remember actually buying "Way of the Warriors" from Suncoast a couple of years ago. The girl that worked there, who was an avid anime fan, said she bought it on the off chance that it looked cool and it turned out to be just plain crap. Not one to listen to other people very often (I'm stubborn and generally like to figure out such things for myself), I bought it and was surprised to find that she was right. The cover art was really nice and the storyline sounded cool, as I was a fan of WuXia films, but man it was terrible. The animation was worse than some of the Korean animated films that populate the dollar bins at Wal-Mart. I actually enjoyed "Space Transformers" and the rest of those but, I could not get past the craptastic cookie cutter animation that looked even worse than South Park. Normally, I can easily look past bad animation depending on when it was made (newer shows with big budgets have no excuse for crappy animation) but, this just took the cake and stomped on it. I applaud you for actually watching this, Justin. I couldn't get past the first episode on the disc. I traded mine back into Suncoast after just a little while. Good thing you didn't pay anything for it.... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ladymage Samiko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:40 am Reply with quote
If this is what Chinese children have to watch, they have my deepest sympathies. During the 'Mighty Bunch' clip, I kept hoping Indiana Jones would pop up with his pistol à la Raiders of the Lost Ark.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Maybe... I'm still missing a few from the last batch, as there are no Walmarts in NYC and by the time I got my parents to look for them in Detroit they had stopped selling 'em. The thing is, most of those are so bad that they stop being funny and start being outright painful.

Try your local dollar stores. You'd be pleasantly surprised what amazing titles you may find in there. Wink
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:22 pm Reply with quote
For those who are looking for something a bit more 'familiar' but still falls very much in to this horrible vein of quality, you'd do well to check out a series called "Gundoh Musashi".
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:59 am Reply with quote
I remember seeing the ads in Newtype USA too, and I was really intrigued. It looked so cheap, but so enticing for whatever reason. Watching the clips though *shivers*. Little Monk looks like passable children's entertainment though, and since the storylines sound so relaxed so the animation isn't bad since it's in limitations.

If anyone REALLY wants these, the first volume of each of the two series mentioned at the end of the article (Bird Island and DeCheng) and Way of the Warriors are available on Ebay around $10 each.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
For those who are looking for something a bit more 'familiar' but still falls very much in to this horrible vein of quality, you'd do well to check out a series called "Gundoh Musashi".

Surely proof that the Japanese are left playing catch-up with the might that is Chinamation!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4