• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Parent Company Ellation Lays Off 17 Employees

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wohdin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
>record year
>fires employees

good capitalism
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Writing was on the wall once Crunchy acquired the engineer outsourcing company in June. You knew your days were numbered once you realized that they could outsource everything that you do for 1/3 the price. From what I read, those who were let go were all primarily from the San Francisco office, so yes, all of them had high salaries compared to what was being paid for an offshore engineering department. This was not really an issue of redundancy, but more along the lines of "Why should we keep you when we can hire 3 engineers for the same price?"

Sadly, this is what happens when a start-up company brings in 'professionals'. The fun environment becomes streamlined, activities and policies that employees once enjoyed are replaced by cubicles and 'casual Fridays'.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Given the crappy quality and longstanding bugs in many of Crunchy's apps... this does not bode well for the future.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
I hope the 17 Crunchyroll employees are at least able to get good references so that their job search goes smoothly. This must really be tough for them- to lose their jobs as the company builds momentum.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I had to agreed with some people speculating that the company fired off these employees because they are trying to save cost, and being cheap isn't good at all but that's the illusion that money gave us. Though, I'll guess speculations are still speculations, and assuming has never been reliable due to lacking concrete evidence. These employees might had been terrible worker but of course, assumptions. Nothing to do in this sort of situation but to hope for the best for those that were fired and may they'll receive better work somewhere else.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Possibly relevant scuttlebutt threads on reddit and Twitter. Completely unsourced and largely anonymous, so take with appropriate grains of salt.

So if true it is basically "Thank you for making anime great again, here is your reward", "A promotion? A salary increase? Shares of the company?" "God no! A pink slip and a nicely written recommendation letter".
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Blood- wrote:
From a strictly, bloodless cold business point of view, I guess this is a "good" thing, but it reeks from a human standpoint.

And for this reason, I consider a position of management as something to be declined regardless of the material compensation. If one can avoid a role in which one must make "difficult choices"—such a phrase being the quintessential smokescreen for injustice—then one will be all the better for it.

It is heavily dependent on how much power is given to the position and the person themselves:

A KFC manager is not going to have a lot of pull (or compensation) ; These sorts of jobs don't appeal to many and therefore are not always given to the best. Culture changes are necessary in that environment for decency to exist but, sadly, many, within and without the company, would argue that the slavish nature of these jobs is what lead to company success. How much freedom can you give to a business which depends on the uniformity of $5 meals?

On the other hand, a manger can be in a position to make suggestions or even guide the macro decision making in a positive direction, leading to the company being run not only in a better but a more efficient way, benefiting all; This is usually most obvious in smaller businesses but I've read good things about bigger places that are open to dialogue, like Google. It can be a very rewarding job.

"Difficult choices" will have to be made at times, there is no getting around that, but it is not always incompetence and heartlessness on the part of the employers that leads to the sub-par treatment and/or layoffs of employees (though that garbage certainly exists and documenting it has filled novels).

If this particular Ellation/Crunchyroll decision was indeed made to cut down on salary costs while facing ever expanding net income, bad form.

Cutiebunny:

Quote:
Sadly, this is what happens when a start-up company brings in 'professionals'. The fun environment becomes streamlined, activities and policies that employees once enjoyed are replaced by cubicles and 'casual Fridays'.

Google has been pretty consistent since the days it was a tiny rocket, in being an open and wonderful place to work while still being a professional and highly successful business.

Professionalism and respect for employees need not be divorced.
TheAngryOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Restructuring might mean satellite offices or some other expansion outside SF. Might have let go of the people with the least amount of portability.

Then again, who knows...
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Possibly relevant scuttlebutt threads on reddit and Twitter. Completely unsourced and largely anonymous, so take with appropriate grains of salt.

If this is true, a bunch of Moldovan engineers are now working for Crunchyroll. Which is great for Moldova! I'm being tongue-in-cheek, but I also know people from Moldova and would be genuinely happy if their economy got a boost.
Thus is the nature of globalization. If a job can be outsourced to people demanding lower wages, it will be. But on the other hand, countries with less economic opportunities get a boost.

Still sucks for the Crunchyroll engineers who lost their jobs, and shows Ellation has no sense of loyalty to Crunchyroll's existing employees, which will affect overall morale there.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Given the crappy quality and longstanding bugs in many of Crunchy's apps... this does not bode well for the future.

I dont know, that makes it sound like the engineers they did have were kind of incompetent and bad. Lets not forget the weekly times Crunchyroll seemed to die on Saturday evenings, or the many times theyve uploaded anime without SUBS for 30+ minutes for no explainable reason, or how anime would be added but would display the wrong sub track even when english is selected.

-

Glassdoor reviews always seemed exaggerated and people claiming to know about the pay rate of new hires yet we have no clue or anything about the resumes, how can we assume they are hiring lesser paid less experienced people? What about benefits, etc?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:12 am Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
>record year
>fires employees

good capitalism

A bit of splitting hairs here, but a fire is not the same thing as a layoff or downsizing. You fire employees who are underperforming or doing harm to the business. You lay off/downsize employees when you want to reduce your workforce (or your company goes out of business). The end results are the same, but it does have some importance when such people look for work afterwards: To most employers, a firing is bad on a candidate's record because they did something bad, but a layoff is not because it means they were just unlucky.
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:20 pm Reply with quote
That doesn't sound good. Sad
Joshua Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
That's the end of CR. RIP.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:20 am Reply with quote
This kind of hits close home to me as my dad's job laid off 14 people a few days ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2