• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shout! Factory Licenses 1st 3 Digimon Adventure tri. Anime Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Toei and Shout Factory: Two companies known for questionable subtitles. Laughing

I take it you're referring to what happened with Shout & Ohranger recently?

Anyway, they'll probably just use Toei's also questionable subs which wouldn't surprise me.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
mgosdin wrote:
I had expected something on this some time ago, it's taken longer to get a North American license done than you would think with a property like Digimon.

Mark Gosdin

If Saban were involved, it would have happened much faster. Saban, which licensed Digimon way back when, has a good relationship with Shout.

But anyway, I am really looking forward to these.

And we'd probably had a full on replacement score as well. No idea if it'd be dubbed uncut like the Toei Animation dub of tri. was. Also, more than likely? Saban would've stuck with Cinedigm, which probably meant we'd gotten a dub only release as well. Cinedigm, for the life of them, can't figure out how to do a proper dual audio release. I mean, hell, they stuck with them when they gave them the rights to Savers/Data Squad and Xros Wars/Fusion, despite probably not being obligated to do so.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, I wasn't expecting Shout! Factory, but they've done good work before. We might even get these films faster now, though I'm a bit sad that the rest of the films may not get theatrical releases.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:24 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Saban would've stuck with Cinedigm, which probably meant we'd gotten a dub only release as well. Cinedigm, for the life of them, can't figure out how to do a proper dual audio release. I mean, hell, they stuck with them when they gave them the rights to Savers/Data Squad and Xros Wars/Fusion, despite probably not being obligated to do so.

There's no way to do a straight up dual-audio release for any of the Digimon seasons since due to cuts and other changes, the audio wouldn't match up between the two versions. A separate sub-only release would be feasible, but I've only seen that with Diskotek's Monster Rancher/Farm sets offhand. Doing a dual-audio release of Tri is easy though since there are no cuts though.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:40 am Reply with quote
Well, this is a surprise, Tri finally getting is NA/US home video rights, though yeah, speaking on the subs/dubs issue, if anything, hopefully Shout Factory can pull a "Discotek" like how they worked out with the Street Fighter 2 re-release on DVD/BD not too long ago which included 2 sets of subtitles which had the JP and English name switches for Balrog/Vega/Bison, but I doubt they'll just only have one set, but hey, can dream, right?

Although, the issue about both audio tracks though, is that of the Opening, since the JP audio uses Butter-Fly, and the Dub used the old Dub Digimon theme, but remixed. But I guess you can have both by switching audio tracks on the fly. At least the ending theme is the same in both versions however. (This example is for the part 1 movie though, and I doubt it'll go that way for the other parts.)

Sheleigha wrote:
WE FINALLY GET SUBBED DIGIMON!!!!

IIRC, we had subbed Digimon...on Netflix a while back in the US.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:42 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
ChibiGoku wrote:
Saban would've stuck with Cinedigm, which probably meant we'd gotten a dub only release as well. Cinedigm, for the life of them, can't figure out how to do a proper dual audio release. I mean, hell, they stuck with them when they gave them the rights to Savers/Data Squad and Xros Wars/Fusion, despite probably not being obligated to do so.

There's no way to do a straight up dual-audio release for any of the Digimon seasons since due to cuts and other changes, the audio wouldn't match up between the two versions. A separate sub-only release would be feasible, but I've only seen that with Diskotek's Monster Rancher/Farm sets offhand. Doing a dual-audio release of Tri is easy though since there are no cuts though.

Aware of this! I was specifically referring to tri., for the record, regarding dual audio. (Cinedigm, somehow didn't include the partial dub for Saint Seiya, and gave Slam Dunk a dub only release, despite being 100% uncut).
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:16 am Reply with quote
Shout Factory will be releasing DIgimon Adventure tri in North America and that it is confirmed to have both the English and Japanese dubs? Awesome! This would mark the very first time that a Japanese version of the original Digimon series being released in North America legally on Blu-ray/DVD!

The fact that Shout Factory will be licensing this is surprising because I would have thought that Cinedigm would be the ones to handle it because they distribute the Digimon shows on DVD but I guess that since Shout Factory is already making themselves known for releasing excellent Blu-ray releases of classic horror films, I am definitely curious to see how they will handle their first anime title.

Anyways, since it's been confirmed that they will release the first three films out so far, my guess is that once when the last three comes out, they will get them too to complete the set.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:25 am Reply with quote
switchgear1131, from what I recall reading on FB, the casting heads didn't even ask Michael Lindsay to return as Joe. Even though he lives in D.C., I would imagine he would be willing to return as Joe on occasion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2