• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

So he decided to take on a 50 000 strong company instead of Tekadan maybe 500 strong (using a pretext linked to Tekadan)... yeah makes complete sense. How could he possibly compete? Also ignoring the fact that Tekadan could just come to there help...

Not really Lok and his fleet are completely in their right to arrest Turbines. As McGillis said Lok's fleet is in charge in that sector and they "produced" evidence that Turbines was dealing in illegal weapons banned by treaties. So if Tekkaden was to come in and attack Lok's fleet they would be criminals. Also Turbines isn't a military force the vast majority of those 50,000 members are smugglers, traders, workers, etc... The only warriors that Turbines has that we know of is Naze and his wives which are on the run from Lok's forces.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Iok is blaming Tekkadan for destroying the mobile armor, thus robbing him of the chance to avenge his men. Iok is an idiot but that's part of his character. He's been raised in a prestigious family so I can buy him as the naïve spoiled rich boy type. His actual plan (or perhaps it was Jasley's plan) is pretty good: incriminate the Turbines so you can lawfully eliminate them. Anyone who interferes would also be labeled criminals.

For Julietta, I might be remembering wrong but wasn't it established that she was an orphan Rustal took in? That she'd do anything to be useful to him makes sense and makes her similar to Mikazuki. At the moment she feels inferior to Mikazuki after seeing him take out the mobile armor and is willing to do anything to gain more power. Even going along with Iok's crazy schemes.

Definitely some death flags for the Turbines, but I'd say Naze and Amida for sure. Lafter is definitely safe since she's in the opening so expect her to join Tekkadan once she loses her other family.

Also important is that McGillis knows Vidar is Gallelio and is going to make his move before his old friend can expose him.
anifani

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
OMG... Everything you said, Lauren, was exactly how I was feeling after watching the episode yesterday. Naze is my favorite character, and his loss would crush me ( Razz I need to get a life).

Another thing I noticed was Orga picking up Mika like a sack of potatoes in the beginning credits, which makes me wonder if he didn't lose more of himself to Barbatos.

Wow.... the feels....
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
They also gave us a new opening and ending to the anime. The new opening is probably my least favorite of all the openings. The song just doesn't catch me like the other openings have and the visuals just aren't impressive enough to hold the slack for IMO an okay song at best. The ending though I did really like the song and visuals were simple but I liked it. I liked seeing the broken Mika in front of the broken Barbatos surrounded by his family to keep him up. Simple but speaks to the overall theme of the series I liked it.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

For Julietta, I might be remembering wrong but wasn't it established that she was an orphan Rustal took in? That she'd do anything to be useful to him makes sense and makes her similar to Mikazuki. At the moment she feels inferior to Mikazuki after seeing him take out the mobile armor and is willing to do anything to gain more power. Even going along with Iok's crazy schemes.

Ya that is really a perfect explanation of her character. As a parallel to Mika she would do anything to serve and protect Rustal. Add in during the fight with the Mobile Armor she saw how much weaker she is then Mika at that point. So her whole motivation is to become as strong as she possibly can taking on dangerous test piloting and now going along with the an idiot like Lok all in service to Rustal.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
oh Iok, why art thou dumber than a sack of potatoes?

ok so he isnt really dumb but his motivations are truly spectacular.

The new op with McGillis and his loli wife set off my cringeometer but heres to hoping big brother totally not Gallio(Imagine the shock if it's actually not Gallio but Ein who's masquerading as him)foils his plans before they do anything really inappropriate.

I dont think Tekkaden will absorb the turbines or at least i dont think Oga is ready for that level of commitment yet.

Hope old Naze makes it out if this scuffle, he reminds me off that desert tiger old guy from gundam seed.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:
ok so he isnt really dumb but his motivations are truly spectacular.

Well sure if you ignore how despite being a member of Seven Stars he knew nothing about Mobile Armors, which led to him he activating the mobile armor on mars, that preceeded to kill his men and partially destroy his mobile suit and after this tried to destroy it twice by himself and failed horribly and made things worst.
Calsolum wrote:

The new op with McGillis and his loli wife set off my cringeometer but heres to hoping big brother totally not Gallio(Imagine the shock if it's actually not Gallio but Ein who's masquerading as him)

Would make sense if Ein somehow managed to go back to his normal state....and if they explained how not only does he know a lot of things that only Galileo knows but even sounds like him.
CrescentWolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
So many death flags this episode for the Turbines, I'm honestly worried about what's gonna happen in the next one, especially regarding Lafter. I feel like now that she's happy about her and Akihiro, that she's going to die or something without getting to truly tell him how she feels (and break my heart in the process).

I also am really worried about Naze and Amida, the scene with them talking about their past was sweet, but also seemed like foreshadowing.

The new OP is kinda meh in my opinion (the ED is alright though), but I've noticed with this series that both season's first OPs are much better than the second ones.
Oby

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So he decided to take on a 50 000 strong company instead of Tekadan maybe 500 strong (using a pretext linked to Tekadan)... yeah makes complete sense. How could he possibly compete? Also ignoring the fact that Tekadan could just come to there help...

First, not all of Turbines' 50,000 members are of the militaristic nature. Second, the said 50,000 members are not always with Naze or his Hammerhead convoy. They are spread for their works. Third, Iok & Jasley personally targeted and isolated the Hammerhead convoy to catch/arrest/kill Naze, the head of the Turbines to make it more efficient. Fourth, as Jasley proposed to him, hitting the Turbines is a strategically-sound move if they want to hit Tekkadan where it hurts. Fifth, it's blatantly stated & shown that Tekkadan currently didn't know the position of the Hammerhead and Naze doesn't want to tell Orga to protect Tekkadan from obvious danger. Happy now?
amagee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
There is a lot of issue with Iok's decision here but I think it's notable to point out that many a young, pliable military leader in history has been led around and made to both do dirty work and eventually act as a scapegoat to push along their controller's goals. This entire part, while Iok may be written as too one-dimensional in my opinion, works perfectly well.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
As far as Iok is concerned, McGinnis and Tekkaden purposely dug up the mobile armor so that McGinnis could move up the Seven Stars ladder. That's what Galleo suggested to him, and that's what he believed. He was there to stop them, the noble hero trying to prevent catastrophe. He has no idea that he actually set off the mobile armor, just that it went off, Tekkaden were there, and his men died as a result. Thus, he's ripe for Jasley to manipulate into a revenge scheme lather. As for him being "charismatic," is that a new term for "rich Seven Stars royalty, easy to use as a puppet"? The Seven Stars must be so hopelessly inbred by now--no wonder they adopt!

I'm glad we finally got the backstory on the Turbines, but sad Naze (and probably Amida--her name means "tears" in Japanese, right?) will die. I hope the whole ship doesn't blow up, because they have a nursery on board. They should paint "babies on board" on the hull, not that it would stop Mari Okada from making it extra tragic. Sad
Talking about babies, lol at Atra's bad soap opera logic! And her attempt to seduce a guy like "babies look like delicious hams" Mikazuki! Very Happy
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
(and probably Amida--her name means "tears" in Japanese, right?)

Not quite. Tears is Namida (涙)
Oby

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
but sad Naze (and probably Amida--her name means "tears" in Japanese, right?) will die.

No. Tears is "Namida" in Japanese. "Amida" is some sort of paradise IIRC.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
[quote="Agent355" I hope the whole ship doesn't blow up, because they have a nursery on board. They should paint "babies on board" on the hull, not that it would stop Mari Okada from making it extra tragic. Sad
[/quote]

I can see Naze evacuating the ship of everyone else before it is destroyed but you also have to remember that this series is pretty dark at times. We have seen a lot of kids killed in this series so it wouldn't surprise me that the whole ship is destroyed babies and all. I just know that second railgun Lok took with him is going to be used to most likely destroy Naze's ship or maybe it will kill Amida in her MS. They brought the railguns up way to much not to be used and you clearly saw Lok take two with him and only one was seen when they arrested the Turbine ship and planted evidence. I think everyone is in agreement both Naze and Amida are dead for sure. I would be shocked if either one survives at most the next two episodes.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote
Oby wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
but sad Naze (and probably Amida--her name means "tears" in Japanese, right?) will die.

No. Tears is "Namida" in Japanese. "Amida" is some sort of paradise IIRC.

Not quite, it's the Japanese name for the Buddha Amitābha.

And yeah, I was totally seeing "dead baby episode coming up" flags, though I do hope that I'm wrong about that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 29 of 47