• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bloom into You GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why you're so offended by the idea of asexuality in a yuri manga. It doesn't negate any later romance, as whiskyii pointed out, and it also doesn't invalidate the title or make the series "prudish" in any way. It's just a different take on the genre.
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Gattix wrote:
The obvious default assumption you should make from that is that she's currently not in love with anyone

OK.

This is not the default assumption we should make. [or, rather, your framing is not correct.]

Noone's actually saying, "Yuu is asexual"; what you're responding to, the discussion you're trying to shut out, is discussion of the possibility that Yuu might be asexual.

Now. The actual text -- at least so far, with what we've got -- is ambiguous. There's nothing eliminating the "asexual" reading. There's also nothing to eliminate your [preferred] reading "Yuu is queer", but... noone's trying to silence your reading, are they? Noone's saying "Yuu's obviously Not Into Girls stop talking about that you and your dubious motivations!".

+ You are trying to shut down discussion of your non-preferred reading.
+ your evidence in support of your reading is largely extra-textual.
+ what's not extra-textual is weak or ambiguous.

There is -- was -- a reasonable discussion to be had about whether or not Yuu is asexual / queer / really into paperwork. We can't do that now. You've stolen the opportunity. For... no good in-text reason, no? The text's ambiguous at this point.
This is no longer solely about the text: your actions have real-world effects, are toxic to discussion and to community-building. I strongly recommend that you stop for a minute and start thinking about what exactly you're trying to achieve here and whether your current actions will help you.

[me? I've got problems with huge swathes of the text, not a damned one of which has anything to do with Yuu's sexuality. The act of asking a question does not create an obligation to answer that question. "Waiting for an answer" is bullshit; noone owes you the mental effort to give you an explicit "no". Hassling people for an answer is double bullshit. Nameless-kun can bugger right off, the stalky little git: the text doesn't actually bring this into as sharp focus as I'd like, in that someone should have called him out on his unreasonable expectation / entitlement.]
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
If I see this at Barnes & Noble the next time I go, I might give it a look-over and see if it's something that might interest me. I do enjoy a good yuri series from time to time (and a variety, it seems; my yuri collection includes Girl Friends and NTR, both on entirely different scales in terms of their content), and I'd love to check out a series that seem to fit in the middle of my usual yuri enjoyments.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I normally don't read yuri, but this actually sounds promising.
Gattix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
It doesn't negate any later romance, as whiskyii pointed out

Well, it negates the sexual parts of it, doesn't it, and without those it's yet another subtext manga where people declare their platonic love for each other, not "real yuri" (however much I despise this phrase). There's plenty of characters in yuri subtext works that you can interpret as asexual no problem since nothing sexual ever happens, the whole work is "asexual" so to speak, so it's not negated and a completely valid interpretation according to nargun. Which is true I guess, just like you can never be sure a missing person wasn't in fact abducted by aliens, I mean we don't know after all, could be anything.

And no, I don't want to shut down your discussion about aliens, I just want to point out that you are in fact talking about aliens because you think aliens are fun. Which they are, that's why we're here after all.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Gattix wrote:

Well, it negates the sexual parts of it, doesn't it, and without those it's yet another subtext manga where people declare their platonic love for each other, not "real yuri" (however much I despise this phrase). There's plenty of characters in yuri subtext works that you can interpret as asexual no problem since nothing sexual ever happens, the whole work is "asexual" so to speak, so it's not negated and a completely valid interpretation according to nargun. Which is true I guess, just like you can never be sure a missing person wasn't in fact abducted by aliens, I mean we don't know after all, could be anything.

Okay, I see where you're coming from. (I'm also not a fan of the "not real yuri" thing.) I don't think that this will necessarily be an issue going forward from this volume, because asexual doesn't mean "no sex ever," and there's at least curiosity on both girls' parts, if not actual desire. It will be interesting to see how the series progresses.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
It is far in the future of the story, hence the spoiler block but I conclude that: spoiler[Yuu is a demi-romantic/demi-sexual who determines that Nanami's issues will cause her to withdraw from her if she returns her feelings in earnest, so she is holding back once she has realized that she may actually have those heart pounding feelings for her sempai]

In the first volume, it is not unreasonable to wonder if Yuu might be asexual or demi-sexual (or aromantic or demi-romantic, for that matter.) She certainly presents as such up to this point.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Gattix wrote:

Well, it negates the sexual parts of it, doesn't it, and without those it's yet another subtext manga where people declare their platonic love for each other, not "real yuri" (however much I despise this phrase).

A character being asexual does not mean the relationship will lack sex. It doesn't automatically mean a relationship is platonic. Many, if not most, asexuals are involved in romantic relationships or can develop romantic feelings for other people. While manga do have a track record with "baiting," I think it's really unfair to peg asexual relationships as lite romance. You're essentially saying asexuals in gay relationships don't count, even if there's a great deal of sensuality or romantic entanglement.

All this said, I think any asexuality can be chalked up to being a hook. There likely isn't going to be a strong discussion of sexuality in that regard, and how people who don't experience attraction can still act in sexual/romantic fashions. Regardless, I'll be looking into the series. I'm glad the review brought it up since I probably wouldn't have noticed the release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2