• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your favorite polite anime character?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarsi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Among those characters in anime who hold on to shy, quiet, or polite mannerisms, who would you pick as a favorite?

I've always been a sucker for Maehara Shinobu's (Love Hina) soft-spoken personality. She may be a bit naive every now and then throughout the series, but it was her shy but still determined demeanor towards her friends that really won me over to her as a favorite.

That and her being cute overall. Smile
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Mahoro. She was really outspoken but still retained the formal speech and said in a typical Ayako-like soft awesome voice. She wasn't exactly shy but wasn't the type to tease or play around either...a really nice balance.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:16 am Reply with quote
I'm going to have to go with Mizuno Ami of Sailor Moon. She really was a polite girl. She very rarely raises her voice and when she does, she usually embarrassed by it and the other girls are shocked and usually behave better themselves.
Maken Buster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:56 am Reply with quote
Ai Tanabe from Planetes had me smitten, although she defiantly stood up for what she believed in if she was pushed around too much. Polite when she has to be but watch out if you mess with her, my kinda gal! Yukio Tanaka from BECK is also a nice likable every day sorta kid who I can't help but relate to.
riccardo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:35 am Reply with quote
Of course it has to be Hakkai. So polite, so formal, never a bad word to say about anyone, he even acts like a shy grade-schooler when fighting supposed mortal enemies like Yaone.

The nastiest Hakkai gets is a polite chuckle at his friends collective expense.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:58 am Reply with quote
Right now my favorite polite character would be Misaki from Lucky Star. I like the way how she uses keigo when talking to her friends, and if something goes wrong then she apologizes for it, funny and cute Laughing
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:28 am Reply with quote
Miki from Revolutionary Girl Utena. Very polite and sweet, intelligent and kind and overall very nice. Of course this being Utena he has issues but he remains a very lovable character through and through.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:29 am Reply with quote
I would have to pick Aoi from Ai Yori Aoshi. She perfectly resembles a quiet, dignified, respectful and charming character, always treating those around her with kindness.

Another would be Sakura from Card Captor Sakura, she was always very kind and polite to those around her, if not quiet and shy.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:18 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
I would have to pick Aoi from Ai Yori Aoshi. She perfectly resembles a quiet, dignified, respectful and charming character, always treating those around her with kindness.

Another would be Sakura from Card Captor Sakura, she was always very kind and polite to those around her, if not quiet and shy.

Arrgghhh you stole my Aoi bonbons. I was gonna say her myself. Sad

Well since I can't do that I'm going to suggest Belldandy from Oh My Goddess Despite what people might say about her being an emotional doorstop, which is partially true, you can't deny she's sweet, kind, and very polite and friendly. Hard to find someone more polite and kind then her really.

Another one Id suggest is Rakka from Haibane Renmei. She's always very helpful and polite during the series and tries to help everyone. She's more subdued and very calm most of the time as well.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I'll second Fighterholic's choice of Misaki from Lucky Star, but how about Syaoran of Tsubasa Chronicle? I think it happened a few times that the people he met had to keep asking him to stop being so polite/speaking so formally. Ryuuoh for one.

Still, I can't ever argue against Aoi Sakuraba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Truered

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Sakaki-san Embarassed She's polite and shy and I find the conflict of trying not to be seen as cold (and even wanting to be "cute") interesting.

Also she kind of reminds me of me- I.E. the shyness, appearing 'cold' when we just want a friend and a hidden love for cute things. Yes, I am lame.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Truered wrote:
Sakaki-san Embarassed She's polite and shy and I find the conflict of trying not to be seen as cold (and even wanting to be "cute") interesting.

Also she kind of reminds me of me- I.E. the shyness, appearing 'cold' when we just want a friend and a hidden love for cute things. Yes, I am lame.

What series is Sakaki-san in?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Truered wrote:

What series is Sakaki-san in?

Azumanga Daioh. And nothing wrong with liking cute things! See: Gwendal from Kyo Kara Maoh. Adorably gruff.
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
This topic makes me wonder how you guys are answering this question. Specifically, do you consider a polite anime character to be
1. Someone who uses keigo.
2. Someone whose speech content, bearing, and English translation imply politeness.
3. A combination of 1 and 2.

I'm using only 2.

With these criteria, my favorite is Yuzuki from Chobits. However, this is better described as a character whom I like and who happens to be polite. The real reason I like her is because spoiler[her relationship with Minoru is disturbing on so many different levels: incest, human-robot relationship, master-servant relationship (particularly with her maid costume).]

Last edited by Boomerang Flash on Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Now that I think about it, most of my favorite anime characters have some element of politeness to them. There's Alphonse Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist, who's probably the poster boy for proper manners and politeness. While I'm on the subject of FMA, I think Riza Hawkeye's strict, military formality would count for being polite too; it's one of the many things I love about her.

I'd also like to second the metion of Rakka from Haibane Renmei; part of what made the series so emotional for me was how sweet and thoughtful she was, even though she was still struggling to fit into her world.

And of course, my Jun-sama ^^; Just don't make her mad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3