• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the intel, Alan45. Wow, sounds like they threw everything in but the kitchen sink.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:22 am Reply with quote
@Blood-

The one with the kitchen sink was a retailer exclusive. Wink
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
My latest snag is likely to raise eyebrows.

I just got every TV series volume, movie, and OVA released stateside of Urusei Yatsura off E-Bay. The whole load has set me back $1,800 and makes my purchase of Maison Ikkoku from earlier this year cheap in comparison.

Merry Freakin' Christmas to me! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
*jaw drops*

You, sir, are THE MAN.

That is a completely awesome purchase and my envy is high. Remind me again, how much did the 8 Maison Ikkoku sets cost you? I paid $250 CAD ($185 USD approx.) for mine back in the summer.

Anyway, thank you so much for ensuring that we will shortly being hearing an announcement about a Urusei Yatsura license rescue. Wink
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
*jaw drops*

You, sir, are THE MAN.

That is a completely awesome purchase and my envy is high. Remind me again, how much did the 8 Maison Ikkoku sets cost you? I paid $250 CAD ($185 USD approx.) for mine back in the summer.

Anyway, thank you so much for ensuring that we will shortly being hearing an announcement about a Urusei Yatsura license rescue. Wink

The Maison Ikkoku sets cost me $475 total earlier in the year when I got them, which were the cheapest I could find online at the time I got them without the later sets of the series being gouged in high hundreds a pop.

And I will be mightily pissed if there is an announcement within the next year that the whole franchise is getting re-released outside of the second movie's recent rescue from Discotek. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
It's so funny that just a short while ago I was whining about being lonely as an OOP buyer here and then you casually stroll in and make THE OOP PURCHASE OF THE FREAKIN' DECADE. Laughing

Did you buy this in one lump purchase or did you have to go to different sellers? Was this an auction or a buy now dealio? Can I visit you at some point (when you're not there)?

I can't believe how excited I am by this. If I feel this way just reading about somebody doing it, I can't even conceive how I'd feel to do it myself.

*head explodes*

Did you have to wrestle with the decision, or were you super confident about it?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It's so funny that just a short while ago I was whining about being lonely as an OOP buyer here and then you casually stroll in and make THE OOP PURCHASE OF THE FREAKIN' DECADE. Laughing

I've been attempting to snag up the series for the past several months now with some occasional E-Bay auctions popping up for the whole franchise. For the recent one I failed at, the seller informed me that the winner who snagged it didn't have the means to pay for it and reposted the series as a fixed price listing. So soon as I got home from work, I immediately bought it.

The purchase will be making me be awashed in Paypal Credit payments for longer than my snag of Maison Ikkoku. But worth it for acquiring one of the rarer anime titles of yester-year.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh, dude, it's the Holy Grail. Seriously, man, I am so happy somebody I cyber-know did this. YES!!!!

I'm still kind of shaking, here.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's making me wonder if I should sell my collection of UY since I'm in pretty bad shape financially right now. Then I think of the hassle of shipping it and how it wouldn't help me all that much anyway, not to mention the fact that I haven't watched it yet, and there's no way.

I actually purchased it just before it went OOP from AnimEigo, think I paid about $430 total.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you ever change your mind, OldCharlie, let me know.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
@Ggultra2764

That is not a bad price for Urusei Yatsura. The entire 62 items would have cost in the neighborhood of $1400 if you had bought them when they came out (not counting S&H or tax).

@Blood-

Your price for Maison Ikkoku was excellent. I just found records showing that I paid TRSI $44.98 each for sets 4 & 5 and $37.49 each for sets 6, 7, & 8 for a total of $202.33. I apparently bought the first three sets at retail. Assuming similar prices for the first three sets that is probably $350 for the series.

If I find any more records I'll let you know.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:05 am Reply with quote
@ Alan45 - yes, I really lucked in with MI.

@ Ggultra2764 - I remember a few years ago, somebody in this thread posted that they had purchased the full Japanese DVD release of The Legend of Galatic Heroes, used. It was a gorgeous collection and I believe they paid around $975 USD for it. Was that you or am I thinking of somebody else?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:26 am Reply with quote
About the second Urusei Yatsura movie. It was the only one that AnimEigo didn't release. It was issued by CPM under their US Manga Corp label. Apparently it was a separate license right from the beginning. In an interesting sidelight to this, CPM apparently cooperated with AnimEigo. AE actually did the cover for the case so that it matched their release of the movies. The AE movie box set came with space to put the second movie in.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
Not that I'm trying to make Ggultra2764 pucker with fear, but I feel like UY almost HAS to get a license rescue in the not too distant future, given the general trend of the last few years (albeit, almost entirely thanks to Discotek). It's such an iconic title, I feel like somebody must be working behind the scenes. Whether they will be succsessful or not, is another question.

Oh man, I just realized something! I can't believe I didn't think of this before - so embarrassing. Here I thought Ggultra2764 bought that UY bundle for himself, but that really doesn't make much sense, does it? No, the real reason he bought it was...

...FOR MY CHRISTMAS PRESENT!!!

Aw, shucks, you shouldn't have. Look, don't send the crate by priority post or anything - standard delivery will be fine. Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

I found the rest of the Maison Ikkoku receipts. Turns out I bought the first three in local B&M stores. All 8 sets were purchased between July 2003 and July 2006. Total price was $340.40. So, yeah, you lucked out. Wink

Also the first Urusei Yatsura DVD box set came out in July 2000 for $105. AnimEigo ran one of their pre-kickstarters where you signed up to buy it if it came out and they produced it when they had enough commitments. I participated in that. I sort of dropped the series for awhile but later bought the next five DVD singles from Anime Nation for $22.45 each between November 2002 and March 2007. In July 2009 I thought about buying more when I noticed that TRSI had them on sale for I think about $11 each. I checked AnimEigo and found they were selling the entire series for $7.99 or $8.00 each. At that point I picked up the remainder of the series. I even found Beautiful Dreamer for $14.99 at TRSI. So total I have $639.86 in the series. From the Encyclopedia, if you bought the entire series as singles at MSRP it would have cost $1512.26.

In February 2011 AnimEigo announced they were losing the license. Shortly after there were some volumes that were sold out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1271 of 1403