• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Does Pokemon Look So Different Now?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:58 am Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:
Not a fan of the design change at all honestly. I'm so freaking sick of seeing this art style especially, it's one of the reasons I don't watch anything on cartoon network

Sun and Moon looks NOTHING like the stuff on Cartoon Network. People got to stop acting like the show turned jnto Adventure Time all of a sudden

relyat08 wrote:
I'm not very familiar with Pokemon as a franchise, to be honest, but it seems strange to complain about a kid's show being wacky and kiddie. But whatever. I'm not saying it's wrong to take issue with the designs of the show, or to not appreciate fluid animation, but this whole thing does seem like a bunch of kid's complaining because their cartoon isn't tailored to their "grown-up" tastes.

It is. This section of American Pokemon fans want it to be some edgy and violent series it never was. It doesnt help a chunk of the American fandom are XY bandwagon hoppers who probably haven't watched any series before XY since the original and are amazed the characters have goals and development now, even though its been like that since AG, and suddenly think SM will stop doing that suddenly
MadHi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I'm not very familiar with Pokemon as a franchise, to be honest, but it seems strange to complain about a kid's show being wacky and kiddie. But whatever. I'm not saying it's wrong to take issue with the designs of the show, or to not appreciate fluid animation, but this whole thing does seem like a bunch of kid's complaining because their cartoon isn't tailored to their "grown-up" tastes.

It's a bit unfair to undermine kids by assuming that they all like wacky things in any context. Everything might as well be wacky if that's the definitive formula for success. Also, just because it's a kid's show, doesn't mean the adult fans, whom are plentiful, should keep their mouths shut and just take it for what it is because, even though they're very ones who put the franchise on the map in the first place, are not kids anymore. I don't think age in itself is nor should be a factor when considering the validity of one's opinions.

Last edited by MadHi on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:28 am Reply with quote
spark67 wrote:
Yes, but i disagree, pokemon maybe is a child show, but is also an adventure show, not a comedy or a romance series, but an adventure show. The protagonist has to have a great or an exciting goal to keep the audience interested, like been the king of pirates or be a hokage. Also a characters without goal or that has a goal but didn't work a lot for it, in pokemon, normally are considered the most boring ones, (Misty, Max, Airis, Cilan, Eureka, Serena in the first year, for me was also boring after that).

I think the new Satoshi isn´t enough funny and also, Mao and Suiren aren´t enough funny. so without a goal, they will be easily forgotten soon.

That...depends. I think Cilan, Eureka and Serena were all great characters from the get-go, and my favorite companions. Inversely, Misty, Max and Iris are a dread to watch for me. Suiren and Mao are actually great for me, I love how Suiren makes up stories but how bashful she really is (like when her sisters ask if Satoshi is her boyfriend). Mao is basically a genki girl akin to Korrina which I think plays off with Satoshi in a great way, though we still haven't had her episode to know what makes her click.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
What changed so much about Pikachu that now it can be better animated than before? He looks the same in all the photos to me? Ash looks way different, but does dropping the face Zs down really improves animator efficiency?

In the case of Pikachu there is no particular design variant but more freedom animation-wise. All of Pikachu's expressions are far stronger and quirkier. Not that Pikachu was expresionless before, but it became slightly stagnant and predictable. Now copying Satoshi's movements or doing anything else, Pikachu looks more interesting, such as when Satoshi is talking about a Sharpedo and Pikachu does his classic Pokémon imitation. Also it makes the Z Pose along with Satoshi to unleash the Z-Move, which is really really cool.

MadHi wrote:
It's a bit unfair to undermine kids by assuming that they all like wacky things in any context. Everything might as well be wacky if that's the definitive formula for success. Also, just because it's a kid's show, doesn't mean the adult fans, whom are plentiful, should keep their mouths shut and just take it for what it is because, even though they're very ones who put the franchise on the map in the first place, are not kids anymore. I don't think age in itself is nor should be a factor when considering the validity of one's opinions.

Yes and no. It isn't less valid per se, but you should take into account that they don't care what the older audience thinks, nor they pretend to cater to you at all. I don't believe that even XY was aimed at older audiences. They do care that the older audience keeps buying the game, but they don't pretend that you like the anime. Technically they could aim for you to buy merchandise of the anime as well as of the franchise in general, but I think the "general" part got that covered already.
mbanu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
pauladls wrote:
Mature people complaining about a preeschoolar show, pathetic

Well, let's be optimists, here -- ANN's forum skews older (being one of the older anime sites on the internet), so there's a good chance that these are parents who are now re-visiting Pokemon with their preschool kids, grumbling because it doesn't look like the 90s TV series they saw as kids. Smile

Having that passion is good, though -- that's the reason Pokemon has the budget and production cycle it does. Working on episodes a year before their release? That's like heaven-on-earth for an animator! The reason they can do such things is because the show has multi-generational, multi-national support, and not just among fans but among the actual people doing the work, who could easily just take the money and run, as happens on a lot of popular kids shows.
elior1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
spark67 wrote:
Yes, but i disagree, pokemon maybe is a child show, but is also an adventure show, not a comedy or a romance series, but an adventure show. The protagonist has to have a great or an exciting goal to keep the audience interested, like been the king of pirates or be a hokage. Also a characters without goal or that has a goal but didn't work a lot for it, in pokemon, normally are considered the most boring ones, (Misty, Max, Airis, Cilan, Eureka, Serena in the first year, for me was also boring after that).

I think the new Satoshi isn´t enough funny and also, Mao and Suiren aren´t enough funny. so without a goal, they will be easily forgotten soon.

That...depends. I think Cilan, Eureka and Serena were all great characters from the get-go, and my favorite companions. Inversely, Misty, Max and Iris are a dread to watch for me. Suiren and Mao are actually great for me, I love how Suiren makes up stories but how bashful she really is (like when her sisters ask if Satoshi is her boyfriend). Mao is basically a genki girl akin to Korrina which I think plays off with Satoshi in a great way, though we still haven't had her episode to know what makes her click.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
What changed so much about Pikachu that now it can be better animated than before? He looks the same in all the photos to me? Ash looks way different, but does dropping the face Zs down really improves animator efficiency?

In the case of Pikachu there is no particular design variant but more freedom animation-wise. All of Pikachu's expressions are far stronger and quirkier. Not that Pikachu was expresionless before, but it became slightly stagnant and predictable. Now copying Satoshi's movements or doing anything else, Pikachu looks more interesting, such as when Satoshi is talking about a Sharpedo and Pikachu does his classic Pokémon imitation. Also it makes the Z Pose along with Satoshi to unleash the Z-Move, which is really really cool.

MadHi wrote:

Yes and no. It isn't less valid per se, but you should take into account that they don't care what the older audience thinks, nor they pretend to cater to you at all. I don't believe that even XY was aimed at older audiences. They do care that the older audience keeps buying the game, but they don't pretend that you like the anime. Technically they could aim for you to buy merchandise of the anime as well as of the franchise in general, but I think the "general" part got that covered already.
one of the things i enjoy the most so far in sun and moon anime is bewear runing gag with team rocket
SnowCentaur

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
I'm sure I can warm up to the new look in time, but... The cheek wiggles. They look like an out-of-place mustache. They're really distracting xD They worked before because they were so sharp, but now they look like weird hairs.
Shatty McPants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:11 pm Reply with quote
pauladls wrote:

You know, I love it when people throw out that ‘Adults shouldn’t watch and criticize kid’s cartoons shaming. Who do you think CREATED these shows? That’s right..ADULTS...
Wether it be a children’s show or more mature fare, it takes the imagination and
creativity of people who were affected by and love cartoons and fantasy to create all this
animation (speaking also from a creator artist cartooning pov)
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Shatty McPants wrote:
pauladls wrote:

You know, I love it when people throw out that ‘Adults shouldn’t watch and criticize kid’s cartoons shaming. Who do you think CREATED these shows? That’s right..ADULTS...
Wether it be a children’s show or more mature fare, it takes the imagination and
creativity of people who were affected by and love cartoons and fantasy to create all this
animation (speaking also from a creator artist cartooning pov)

You grave dug a thread from 2016 for that?
precita

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:59 pm Reply with quote
These threads remind me of all those obsessive Misty fans who had breakdowns in 2003 when Misty left and thought the Pokemon anime couldn't go on without her. Even though Misty stayed gone as a main character anyway and May quickly became more popular after she left, same for many of the later female companions,.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:58 am Reply with quote
Locking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6