• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan Anime Season 2 Premieres in April

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Mika Kobayashi needs to return. As well as Sawano Hiroyuki.

Team JeanEren, please have tons of screentime together.
Sawano is already confirmed for this he's started the OST.
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
methedemon wrote:
Great news! man Code Geass and now AoT the shows I love are coming back. for the people who are keeping up with the manga, do you expect the second season to be better than the first based on the story material it will adapt?

I guessing for a lot of people it won't be. Just saying it now; not a lot of Titan action.
The first half > Season 1 as a whole. The second half isn't action heavy but very important to the series.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Are they sure? Do they need more time to think about the premiere? Maybe push it off for a few more seasons? Wink

Been waiting so long for this! Frankly, I think the manga material after the first season's through gets more interesting as it goes along. The plot thickens and mysteries are revealed! And what's wrong with flashbacks? A good flashback is the best way to reveal events from the character's or world's pasts without having a character monologue or give a history lesson. The flashbacks are the best part!
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah this was a long time coming!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:42 am Reply with quote
Kind of funny that the big worry is that politics might hurt the show, makes it seem like the audience are too dumb to continue watching if teens aren't yelling about dead parents and turning into giants.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:08 am Reply with quote
I could have sworn this was already announced a while back. Weird.

In regards to the content and slowness thereof, I'm of the camp that thinks the manga gets better in the later chapters, so I'm not personally concerned. And even if that's not the majority opinion of the target audience, we have to remember that Tetsuo Araki is returning, and a large part of what made AoT such a mainstream success was his cinematic direction and knack for heightening and dramatizing situations. Like it or hate it, the man has a style and it clearly works. I trust that he'll be able to enliven the material in such a way as to make it appeal to a broader audience.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
Part of me wants this to premiere April first. Is that bad?
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:34 am Reply with quote
Didn't we already know this? I was pretty sure the premiere date had been listed on MAL already for a while now.

Kougeru wrote:
Great. So Just one more season of peace before the fanboys/girls get really annoying again.

You know, you could just ignore them if it bothers you that much. Crazy, I know. More people should try to approach and deal with hype culture in a less cynical way.
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
Well, it was scheduled for Spring 2017 so it premiering in April was more or less expected. Good news, still. What I'm really impatient for is an actual PV though, as it's been more than a year since the 2 minutes-long snippet at the end of the second recap movie and my body is in dire need of more animated Titan goodness.

bleachj0j wrote:
methedemon wrote:
Great news! man Code Geass and now AoT the shows I love are coming back. for the people who are keeping up with the manga, do you expect the second season to be better than the first based on the story material it will adapt?

I guessing for a lot of people it won't be. Just saying it now; not a lot of Titan action.
I don't where that meme comes from but if season 2 is two cours like the first one then the first half will be jam-packed with "titan action" and so will be a couple of the show's last episodes. Hell, even with the titans taking a backseat for the second half we'll get more than a few intense spoiler[man v. man] battles.

Good thing that the source material's only appeal isn't the action, though.

Last edited by Starbuckets on Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this will get a simuldub (since Junior High proved they could ALL reprise their roles that way) or hit Toonami immediately. Also, will Crunchyroll and Funimation share sub streaming?
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Part of me wants this to premiere April first. Is that bad?
I'm on the same boat, mate. If it were up to me it'd be airing this winter but heh, we've already survived 4 years. 4 more months shouldn't be too much to handle. spoiler[I think]

Sahmbahdeh wrote:
I could have sworn this was already announced a while back. Weird.

In regards to the content and slowness thereof, I'm of the camp that thinks the manga gets better in the later chapters, so I'm not personally concerned. And even if that's not the majority opinion of the target audience, we have to remember that Tetsuo Araki is returning, and a large part of what made AoT such a mainstream success was his cinematic direction and knack for heightening and dramatizing situations. Like it or hate it, the man has a style and it clearly works. I trust that he'll be able to enliven the material in such a way as to make it appeal to a broader audience.
About that, Araki will be coming back as Chief Director to oversee the whole thing and bring his assistance but the actual Director for this second season is going to be a newcomer, Masashi Koizuka. He's got no track record whatsoever aside from his work on the first season of AoT, but he seems to have directed episodes 2 and 17 which are among the best in the series (imo), so that much is a good sign at least. Curious to see how he handles the more subdued and politics-heavy second cour.
Deynard

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:19 am Reply with quote
It was already known since the poster came out. How is it news?
pikopika

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:07 am Reply with quote
The spring season is going to be even more exciting. Smile
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:39 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Kind of funny that the big worry is that politics might hurt the show, makes it seem like the audience are too dumb to continue watching if teens aren't yelling about dead parents and turning into giants.

Or they just think that the world is badly written and as badly written as it is, at least giants being beheaded by flying steampunk teenagers is always entertaining in at least a visceral level.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna watch this as it airs, questions to those who watched the first season on TV/Web: how censored are we talking about? If you rewatched on BD/DVD, how much animation correction was there?
Keyl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:11 am Reply with quote
Starbuckets wrote:
Well, it was scheduled for Spring 2017 so it premiering in April was more or less expected. Good news, still. What I'm really impatient for is an actual PV though, as it's been more than a year since the 2 minutes-long snippet at the end of the second recap movie and my body is in dire need of more animated Titan goodness.

bleachj0j wrote:
methedemon wrote:

I don't where that meme comes from but if season 2 is two cours like the first one then the first half will be jam-packed with "titan action" and so will be a couple of the show's last episodes. Hell, even with the titans taking a backseat for the second half we'll get more than a few intense spoiler[man v. man] battles.

Good thing that the source material's only appeal isn't the action, though.

Really those second half battles are some of the best ones, even better then most of the titan fights, if only because the intensity racks up to 12. Also everything with the spoiler[Beast Titan] is so good, especially the latest stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3