• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Magical Girl Raising Project

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
The show is not "adding darker content for its own sake." Remember the prologue of the first episode that showed the bloody, dead bodies of over a dozen magical girls? This show indicated it would have dark happenings right from the get go. It's cool if you aren't down with that, but don't try and pretend like this wasn't baked into the premise from the very start.
HamoodSolid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The show is not "adding darker content for its own sake." Remember the prologue of the first episode that showed the bloody, dead bodies of over a dozen magical girls? This show indicated it would have dark happenings right from the get go. It's cool if you aren't down with that, but don't try and pretend like this wasn't baked into the premise from the very start.

i know right.

if people are disappointed with these deaths, they will be more disappointed with the coming deaths which i think will have more impact and definitely gruesome. From the first scene of this anime, it was clear that it was going to be very bloody. If you look closely at that scene you will notice Cranberry was the last one standing, Even though it is dark I could still recognize her shape after comparing it with the opening song where she appears..Those events happened before the start of this anime and it clearly showed me that it was going to be a dark show .For me, I enjoyed the show so far .
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:47 am Reply with quote
I think we didn't really need to see Top Speed saving a mother and her baby before her death and the not-so-shocking reveal of her pregnancy to get the message, but whatever.

Nana's suicide made sense, though. She's had an almost symbiotic relationship with Winterprison and her strong belief that everybody is inherently good was brutally shattered. And she seemed to be the type of person who'd rather choose death over having to survive by killing others.

The only really surprise in this episode were Swim Swim's powers which seem to make her aylmost as unkillable as Alice in Magical Girl form. I'd love to see a battle between these two, but if Swim Swim really decided to confront Cranberry, that might not come to pass. Also, what the hell wrong with the kid?! She seems to lack any kind of emotions, aside from worrying over what Ruler might have done, so i'm actually pretty curious about her backstory...
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:43 am Reply with quote
Well all knew Top Speed was gonna die for the sake of advancing Ripple's character, but I was kinda surprised at who offed her. I had an inkling that Swim Swim would do it if Mary didn't but I was still a little shocked that it really happened. Now Ripple's gotta vendetta.

I'm guessing Minael's sudden announcement is one of two things: 1. She knows the identity of Alice and they can go kill her in her civilian form or 2. She knows the limits of her healing ability. Either way I hope Alice isn't offed anytime soon. She's my favorite out of all of the girls so far. I was laughing when she just threw Minael to the ground, tossed her bunny to the side, and picked up that exhaust to beat her head in with. Her deadpan expression just made it all hilarious.

I do wonder about her backstory though. My theory is that she's attached to Snow White because she's some she may have saved when she first became a magical girl, but who knows at this point.

Nana's death was kind of expected. Based on her character design alone I knew something bad would happen to her. She was either going to have a mental break, become depressed, and start trying kill people, or she was going to off herself. In these type of shows characters affiliated with religious imagery are always given a rough shake.

I also kind hope Swim Swim goes after Cranberry just so she and her group get destroyed. Not killed (maybe kill the other angel) but just outclassed. The irony in her situation is that she's already making better plans than Ruler but keeps questioning what she would do. Ruler from what I saw was a terrible leader who only thought about making herself look good and manipulating others to get what she wanted. In short she sucked.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
It'd be cute if it wasn't a little annoying how the show thought Top Speed's pregnancy was actually a shocking moment. I found all the battles to be kind of poor - both in animation and in impact. I hope we get back the fun ones with Cranberry and/or Ripple bashing someone's head off (I miss you, Winterprison).
Key

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As the show continues to pile one tragedy on top of another, it starts to have a numbing effect on the viewer. Bringing a character arc to a sudden or heartbreaking end can be very effective from a dramatic standpoint, and we've seen this series use character deaths to good effect in the past. As the audience gets used to it though, those sad endings start to lose some of their punch. Once a viewer has learned to expect the worst possible outcome, it's much harder to leave a lasting impression. At some point, the show needs to find a way to make the audience let its guard down a little.

Agreed, although I think this is a problem inherent to the "survivor series" story concept rather than just this particular version of it. Whether in anime or not, titles which overcome that flaw are fairly rare.

FilthyCasual wrote:
You know, at first I thought favorite only needed 8 candidates to fight against the shadowy things from the beginning, but now I think he just likes seeing magical girls die.

Remember the conversations that Fav has had with Cranberry? This whole scenario is just a game that results from Cranberry's wish for winning whatever the series' opening scene depicted. Of course, that doesn't mean that Fav isn't also a sadistic little SOB.

Quote:
And while Top Speed's inevitable death was tragic (damn you Swim Swim and your dramatic timing), Sister Nana's death was almost overwrought. Sobbing and despair was perfectly understandable, but moving to alcohol, drugs, and hanging herself with Winterprison's scarf in about a week? Did she have no family to cry/rely on? No other reason to live? Rather than making me feel sad I was more surprised that it happened.

While this was never made explicit, I got the distinct impression that Nana and Winterspoon were already somewhat isolated because of their relationship. So no, she probably didn't have anyone else to fall back on for support.

Quote:
At any rate, it seems like Yunael? figured out either Snow White's or Hardgore Alice's identity, so they're definitely not out of the line of fire. Speaking of Alice, it's nice to get a bit of rationale for why she stalks Snow White - respect for her ideals. Hopefully we get to see more of her backstory (death not included).

Agreed. How she ended up with a power like that makes her the most intriguing of the characters whose backstories we don't know yet. And I've always gotten the impression that she idolized Snow White.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I don't mind dark stories and I figured there would be plenty of death from episode 1, but it isn't handled as well as it could be. I don't mind dark shows or shows with a lot of death, but, it feels like the show just randomly remembers it wants to be dark sometimes. Killing Top Speed now just felt random and pointless in an otherwise fun episode. It would have been better to wait just a little longer to kill her in a way that would have more impact.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
@ Videogamep - actually, I sort of agree with that. I said in the series discussion thread that I wish this story had been spread out over two cours. That would have given proper time to get to know characters and it would have mitigated the meatgrinder dynamic made inevitable by a shorter than needed time frame.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I should have known what I was getting myself into with this series, but I can't help but root for Ripple. The best I can hope for in this kind of anime is that she dies heroically saving Snow White, or something that is consistent with her belief in what a magical girl should be.

Because if she DOES take the path of trying to avenge Top Speed as the review suggests, I'm not going to feel too good about her fate Sad
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Videogamep - actually, I sort of agree with that. I said in the series discussion thread that I wish this story had been spread out over two cours. That would have given proper time to get to know characters and it would have mitigated the meatgrinder dynamic made inevitable by a shorter than needed time frame.

I could see that working pretty well. That way they wouldn't have to kill nearly a character an episode and could develop side characters gradually instead of right before they died.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nate148

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
fyi they had a single LN novel to adapt at 233 pages so there was not much there in the first place
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Adaptations can certainly deviate from the original in a strive to make it better, though. Then again, playing all these "what ifs" is pretty much pointless, as I can about guarantee that in the alternate world where this show got two cours, people will be complaining that it's much too stretched and they should've only done 12 episodes and get everyone killed off already.
Nate148

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:52 pm Reply with quote
They did most of cast had no backstory
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As the show continues to pile one tragedy on top of another, it starts to have a numbing effect on the viewer. Bringing a character arc to a sudden or heartbreaking end can be very effective from a dramatic standpoint, and we've seen this series use character deaths to good effect in the past. As the audience gets used to it though, those sad endings start to lose some of their punch. Once a viewer has learned to expect the worst possible outcome, it's much harder to leave a lasting impression

I've veered off in another direction entirely with this series; I find the constant, excessive one-up'ing the show's doing of its own brutality absolutely hilarious. I don't generally find senseless gore funny, but somehow MGRP has made what should be shocking to me so inanely ineffectual that I find it's tipped over into unintentional satire.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Adaptations can certainly deviate from the original in a strive to make it better, though. Then again, playing all these "what ifs" is pretty much pointless, as I can about guarantee that in the alternate world where this show got two cours, people will be complaining that it's much too stretched and they should've only done 12 episodes and get everyone killed off already.

It's true you can't please all the people all the time, but in an alternate world where this show got two cours, alternate me would be pleased as punch. And really ... isn't that all that matters?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 17