• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introducing Anime Now

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
I don't really have a problem with how they are marked. The articles from the site are marked as such which makes it easy for those who would rather pass over them to do so. At least some of the content produced doesn't really fit the definition of advertisement so I'm not sure that is the best option (and I think they would rather not be labeled as such). They're fairly transparent about their backing. In my experience, potential conflicts of interest in journalism are dealt with similarly (though it is generally spelled out in the article itself in those cases). Even if one finds them conflicted, at least it's out in the open and you can take it with a grain of salt.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
I think Richard Eisenbeis did a great job explaining the sister site's purpose. For those that have an issue of Anime Now!, then take it up with the Japanese shareholders that own the project.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:31 am Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:
While ANN mainly shows the latest anime news, Anime-Now seems to go into detail on explaining much of the culture behind the shows in various interest articles. I honestly enjoyed reading some of them, such as how the actual town of Oarai is benefiting from the Girls und Panzer series.

ANN has had several stories over the years on how Oarai has embraced and benefited from Girls und Panzer. So has practically every other site that publishes anime and/or Japanese pop culture related material. It's (very) old news.

ikillchicken wrote:
Honestly too, I take issue with the basic premise here as well. The explicitly stated assumption underlying Anime Now's approach is that there are just too many sites dedicated to "tearing anime apart". Unless there are sites out there that literally exist to tell people that anime is bad and shouldn't be watched, I can only interpret this as a rather pejorative way of saying that most anime sites out there engage in actual criticism.

I found that questionable too.
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
This whole Anime Now thing seems super problematic to me. I've read the forum comment by their editor trying to justify their site. One can split hairs over who is directly calling the shots. I don't see anyone denying two key things though: 1) This is directly funded by Anime Consortium Japan. 2) This is designed to provide purely positive coverage of their products. In my view, that makes this advertising in everything but name. Sure, you can claim their editorial content is real, high quality material and not just fluff and you can claim it is sincerely produced despite their funding and purpose. All that may be true. But there is no getting around that a massive conflict of interest still exists.

I think this might be a bit too harsh.

When clicking over to Anime-Now, my first thought is: "This looks like every other clickbait-ish subject-focused website out there." My second thought is: For better or for worse, that's a common form of journalism nowadays.

I think there's a place for a site like this, not least of all because a certain type of web user is expecting content like this and, more importantly, is used to it. I'm sure SM-linked ad-viewing and browsing stats are going to be kept closely guarded, but I would not be surprised at all if Anime-Now pulled in a slightly younger crowed compared to ANN, and managed to receive a higher number of social-media shares once it takes off.

There's a large debate in the US right now about "fake news" and its impact on society. This isn't "fake news", but it IS "advocacy journalism", sitting in the grey area of a non-objective agenda. The ethics of this can be debated (thankfully, it's clearly spelled out on the site itself), but if we want to bring a new generation of anime fans into the fold, web sites like this are an important way of reaching out to people.... whether we like it or not.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
I don't know what to make of "Anime Now!" It's hard for me to put into words. I just don't have a real opinion of this.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of the AnimeNow decision, BUT if you're gonna commit to it, WHY do those links/articles NOT have a direct link to comments like the regular ANN articles do? I often skip the articles just from seeing the AnimeNow tag, BUT whether they are good or not they're clearly designed to call attention/prompt discussion, so if you're gonna have them, why not get that going? Even just getting "I hate these AnimeNow articles" seems like valuable feedback to get from your OWN readers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3