• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, ep 67 is basically a response to all the people complaining about how the dragon balls always fix everything. Trunk's future earth did finally get destroyed and wasn't brought back. Granted he and Mai just go to another future instead but it addresses one of the complaints that fans have had for a while.

I also like Vegeta's goodbye to trunks, no sappy words needed.

My only real complaint with this arc is that Vegeto felt really underpowered and had so little screentime.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Well, ep 67 is basically a response to all the people complaining about how the dragon balls always fix everything. Trunk's future earth did finally get destroyed and wasn't brought back. Granted he and Mai just go to another future instead but it addresses one of the complaints that fans have had for a while.

I also like Vegeta's goodbye to trunks, no sappy words needed.

My only real complaint with this arc is that Vegeto felt really underpowered and had so little screentime.

we know the real reason we got this new Vegeto:so we can have a new transformation/character for future games.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
What an ending man...

Is just nuts, I hoped better but winning and losing at the same time in this was a one big bummer.

At least it ends the probably best arc with a heck of an ending.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
67:

spoiler[I don't see why we had to take the long road here. Just have Trunks kill Zamasu with his asppulled Genki Dama blade. No to that? Well just have Future Zen-chan eliminate Zamasu's asspulled World consuming form. It doesn't end their either and leaving everyone alone. Not that either? Why? We could've had cleaner (albeit contrived) ending. Instead, Whis and Beerus setting of to create a version of Trunks' timeline where Zamasu never did anything wrong. Since we're dealing with parallel universes, that means somewhere in the multiverse, Universe 6 is still destroyed and the other 11 Universes have no God. Future 8 and Future Turtle deserved better than that. All that having Zamasu turn envelope the sky did was render everything that happened in this arc pointless since killing him just meant he could accomplish his goal faster. And now all you have to do is touch the time machine to travel with it. I'm sure Cell would've like to have known that since the only reason he wasn't around till after 17 and 18 appeared was because he had to revert to a larva to fit in the machine. The same machine which a few episodes ago took forever to build up fuel for a one-way trip that can no zip back back and forth with no problem again because fudge consistency.

And now Trunks and Mai will have to go back to another timeline where they already exist. Just a needlessly awkward ending.

They even outright explain that Beerus killing Zamasu created the split. How? Did he just decide to not destroy Zamasu in the other timeline? He should've still been present in the timeline where Goku Black was created so how the fudge was any of this even possible?

The visuals went reverted to homeostasis once again too, which is bad. The one scene in particularly with Mai firing her rifle into the sky was badly shot in a way that gutted any emotion that scene could've had.

This whole storyline was total, unmitigated disaster and I'm glad to never have to rack my head over all of its bad decisions ever again.]
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:11 am Reply with quote
I will not mince words here:

This ending was abysmal. spoiler[They literally just rendered the past 21 episodes a complete and utter waste. Nothing was accomplished. Trunks could have died before he even made it to the time machine and his timeline would actually have been better off for it, as the only change our heroes actually managed to bring was that, rather than just everyone dying, everyone died and the universe itself was wiped from existence.]

Way to completely and utterly ruin an otherwise pretty awesome arc.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Sam Leach wrote:
We don't see anybody die, but Zamasu's creepy green face is all over the sky, and the characters are using their energy sensing to confirm to the audience that yes, everyone other than our main characters are dead.

Were you and I watching the same show?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Weird that it ended with a Genki dama sword ehh?

Last edited by SkerllyF on Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
At this point they should bring back ideas from GT, or acknowledge GT. How many times do we have to see that Goku dies, when that has happened too much, only to be revived in 3 chapters or because the Dragon Balls?

This franchise could have some interesting expansions. Like Star Wars, you can make an arc with other people(Gohan, maybe?) as the protagonist, and have a new enemy. But noooooooooooo, Toriyama has to recicle previously used(sometimes, used too much) characters and have the dynamic duo of Goku and Vegeta saving the world. This last arc may have some good writing, but until they try something new, GT will be my better option.

Also, for the reviewer, I think we need an article at the end of this series about "GT vs. Super" or a feature article about GT to see what did right and wrong, please, #JustDoIt
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Weird that it ended with a Genki dama sword ehh?

It didn't. Zamasu wasn't dead after that. That's why Goku had to call in back-up.
Sam Leach

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:

Also, for the reviewer, I think we need an article at the end of this series about "GT vs. Super" or a feature article about GT to see what did right and wrong, please, #JustDoIt

I have thought about this! I'd have to pitch it first and watch GT again, but I could very much do something like that.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Sam Leach wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:

I have thought about this! I'd have to pitch it first and watch GT again, but I could very much do something like that.

It will be a long time for that article if you wanna wait for Super to end. It's not going anywhere.

A lot of people really like to hate on GT these days. Granted, several story decisions were not the best, although I was fine with GT Goku, but it gave us some cool character designs and villains. I also liked the idea of the Black Star Dragons.

On that note, I did notice a parallel between that arc and this one. The basic idea being that Goku and Co. abuse the dragon balls and their deity buddies to absolve themselves of any potential consequences and at some point they have to answer for that. I know a lot of people are really upset with how this arc ended, but Trunks screwed up by going back in time in the first place and he wasn't gonna get away with no ramifications again. Also, if you think about it Trunks' whole future was destined to be a doomed existence. If it wasn't the Androids, it'd be Cell, and if not him then Goku Black and Zamasu. Basically everyone in this timeline is screwed no matter what and so at least he and Mai have a shot at peace in a world that is somewhat familiar. People wanted stakes and consequences and you got em.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:

This franchise could have some interesting expansions. Like Star Wars,

Which would likely be jettisoned by a studio mandate Razz

SkerllyF wrote:
characters and have the dynamic duo of Goku and Vegeta saving the world.

Which isn't a recycled idea due to the fact that pretty much every DragonBall arc centered around Goku taking on the big bad. Hell the Red Ribbon Army was essentially dismantled by Goku alone.

TranceLimit174 wrote:
People wanted stakes and consequences and you got em.

Pretty much.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
This saga ended pretty much the exact way the series had been telling us it would the entire time so....yeah. Gods said, don't time travel, Zen'ou will wipe your shit out if he catches you. Cause it isn't fixable, it's not supposed to be, because you're not supposed to time travel.

Zamasu spoiler[said he was immortal, I don't know why people are surprised when the dude doesn't die. What other choice did he have other than to become the force when his body was destroyed?] Come on son. I guess, giving people false hope that he might not be was mean but if Super is guilty of anything in this arc it's adhering to it's own rules to the letter.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:22 am Reply with quote
Tomibiki wrote:
This saga ended pretty much the exact way the series had been telling us it would the entire time so....yeah. Gods said, don't time travel, Zen'ou will wipe your shit out if he catches you. Cause it isn't fixable, it's not supposed to be, because you're not supposed to time travel.

Except he didn't destroy the future timeline because they time-traveled, he destroyed the future timeline because he thought it was ugly. And then Goku time-traveled with the King of All in order to fulfil his previous promise to bring him a friend and neither the present one nor the future one seemed in any way bothered by it. As for not being fixable... Trunks fixed it just fine the first time around. If it wasn't for this bizarre timeloop scenario which somehow happened despite going against the previously established time travel logic...
(So let me get this straight: Zamasu got the idea to go through with his plans from meeting Goku and finding out about the Super Dragon Balls... But Goku only met him in the first place because he'd previously battled Goku Black... who came back from the future... and who is Zamasu who got the idea to go through with his plans from meeting Goku and finding out about the Super Dragon Balls?
I mean I know stable time loops are a thing in fiction and all that, but when time travel specifically runs on the logic that "Each time jump causes a new alternate reality", having a stable timeloop in there, particularly one which doesn't leave any room for a start as the chain of events here naturally led up to Beerus destroying Zamasu and if you're gonna excuse it that the timeline split again when Whis rewound time... where did the Goku whose body Zamasu stole even come from? Shouldn't he have disappeared from that timeline when Whis turned back time?)
...the future would have been fine. But of course, as this arc showed, NOPE. Future Trunks's world was just doomed from the start with no conceivable way to save it, it seems. Despite the fact that his time-travel led to Goku's timeline being saved just fine.

Man, this ending just utterly unraveled the entire arc for me. A lot of these flaws I had been willing to defend before, but now? ...No. Just no.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:05 am Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
Tomibiki wrote:

Except he didn't destroy the future timeline because they time-traveled, he destroyed the future timeline because he thought it was ugly. And then Goku time-traveled with the King of All in order to fulfil his previous promise to bring him a friend and neither the present one nor the future one seemed in any way bothered by it. As for not being fixable... Trunks fixed it just fine the first time around. If it wasn't for this bizarre timeloop scenario which somehow happened despite going against the previously established time travel logic...
(So let me get this straight: Zamasu got the idea to go through with his plans from meeting Goku and finding out about the Super Dragon Balls... But Goku only met him in the first place because he'd previously battled Goku Black... who came back from the future... and who is Zamasu who got the idea to go through with his plans from meeting Goku and finding out about the Super Dragon Balls?
I mean I know stable time loops are a thing in fiction and all that, but when time travel specifically runs on the logic that "Each time jump causes a new alternate reality", having a stable timeloop in there, particularly one which doesn't leave any room for a start as the chain of events here naturally led up to Beerus destroying Zamasu and if you're gonna excuse it that the timeline split again when Whis rewound time... where did the Goku whose body Zamasu stole even come from? Shouldn't he have disappeared from that timeline when Whis turned back time?)
...the future would have been fine. But of course, as this arc showed, NOPE. Future Trunks's world was just doomed from the start with no conceivable way to save it, it seems. Despite the fact that his time-travel led to Goku's timeline being saved just fine.

Man, this ending just utterly unraveled the entire arc for me. A lot of these flaws I had been willing to defend before, but now? ...No. Just no.

I'm surprised the ending was the straw that broke the camel's back not the confusing aspect of time traveling, paradoxes, stable time loops, and all that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 40