• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Movies That Need Licenses ASAP

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:06 am Reply with quote
What about the uncut version of Macross: Do You Remember Love?, one of the most beautiful-looking anime films of the 1980s that never got a proper American release (just that heavily-edited-and-rewritten Clash of the Bionoids thing)? I know there are rights disputes that keep this film from seeing a proper Blu-Ray release in the United States, but it doesn't diminish my hopes that they'll one day be resolved.

----

For TV series that need a sequel (which I'm interpreting as being "another TV series", not just a few scattered OVAs), my number one series would probably be WataMote. Silver Link couldn't have done another TV series right away in 2003 as there wasn't sufficient manga source material, but now there's more than enough. I presume a season 2 would likely end with spoiler[Tomoko's class's trip to Kyoto in her second year of high school] (which would probably be a 2-episode arc in and of itself) or maybe her spoiler[school athletic day mishaps post-Kyoto trip].

I added in Strawberry Marshmallow (which had 5 OVA episodes so it's not like it's completely un-sequelled but I'd still love to see another TV series of it) and Mysterious Girlfriend X (which only got one un-released in North America OVA episode after the TV series). I was also going to add Flying Witch (which probably will get another season sooner or later) and Kamichu! (a pipe dream), but, having already voted for Watamote, I was only able to add the first two series I mentioned in this paragraph.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
justsomeaccount wrote:
Wasn't Saint Young Men the one the author didn't want to come to the states (either movie or manga) because she thinks they would find it super offensive and doesn't want to, or am I wrong?

By this logic, why did she even decide run the manga at all?
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:37 am Reply with quote
On the sequels, I really need both the Beyond the Boundary sequel...and Tamako Love Story! Am a fan of both of the anime tv series, but neither is worth owning without its movie.

On the poll, while I don't see any of these getting a sequel, I had to go for Index/Haruhi/TWGOK. There are more listed on the poll that I could've voted for, but those 3 are probably the ones that have been on my list the longest.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:39 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I'd forgotten about Piano no Mori. Haven't seen it in years. That's a lovely little film but I'd be very surprised if it ever gets licensed.

@Kadmos - Because Japan is a very different place to the USA. Christianity is a minority religion. Manga isn't made for Americans, it's made for the Japanese, and if it had been offensive to them she wouldn't have been allowed to publish it.
wastrel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Am I really the only want Tamako Market's movie sequel Tamako Love Story to be licensed?

I'd also like to see Tamako Love Story licensed. I hope it's only a matter of time. The series was good, but the movie was wonderful. (I consider Midori Tokiwa to be the bravest character in all of anime.)

I also agree about a sequel for Haganai. Or if nothing else, an OVA episode or two to give some semblance of a resolution to things.

But above all, I'd love for Hyouka to get a sequel. Or because I don't think there's enough remaining source material, perhaps a movie rather than a full season of TV. Of course I'd also like to see the existing series licensed, and that doesn't seem likely to happen any time before the Sun expands to engulf the Earth (several billion years from now) so I'm not holding my breath.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:08 am Reply with quote
Why is Hyouka not on this list?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Why is Hyouka not on this list?

Well, it's not a movie.
Gayle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:52 am Reply with quote
It's not on the list, but I wish they would animate the rest of Blue Spring Ride.

Live action movie isn't as pretty as an anime. But due to that, animating the rest of the story is not likely to happen.
quaton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:08 am Reply with quote
While I can agree on the choice, I also sincerely hope that the writer wasn't suggesting that High Speed! has fanservice of 12-year-olds because no, 12-year-olds in bathers is not fanservice, especially when there's an utter lack of questionable/sexual angles unlike in Free!

It's also unfortunate that the writer only mentions 2 out of the 4 main characters in the movie because the story is clearly equally focused on all 4 of them and their bonds as friends and a team.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:09 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
+ 光 wrote:
I see One Punch Man on the list, it's already been confirmed that there will be a sequel though...

I completely agree. OPM shouldn't be on the list with a sequel already on the way. Anyway, I voted for Magical Index. I want to see the rest of the novels adapted.

that's an understatement. their definitely needs a sequel for both index and railgun. though the same can be said for the final sora no otoshimono movie as well. wonder why funi never licensed it considering they licensed the previous two seasons and the first movie?

Also for one punch man, the sequel is a new TV series, NOT a movie.

and speaking of movies, the one piece movies DEFINITELY NEEDS TO BE LICENSED!!!

i mean come on. its been years since funi rescued the series from the horror that is 4kids, but the movies they released in the US were the newer ones namely the Z movie and the Strong World movie (though that movie was basically a dub promo to premiere Ian Sinclair as Brook). Funi cant depend on DBZ forever. eventually they will have to move on to other shonen jump titles and what better way is to get the other movies and OVAs of one piece to be licensed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GregoriusU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
W/r/t The New Poll: No Gakkou Gurashi (i.e., School-Live!)? We need Shovel-chan!
TG72

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
How about Mai Mai Miracle? Anime Limited did their Kickstarter and dubbed it but no physical release...
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I would like more of the Kino no Tabi novels to be adapted, but that's not on the poll.

It'll never happen though, but a girl can dream.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Somehow I missed the poll from last week. I would have written in "CD soundtracks", if that counts as "merchandise". I don't care what year it is, I still only buy music on physical media and 99% of the time, that physical media is still Compact Discs because there's no real mass market physical media replacement for it and I can't listen to vinyl records on the bus (although Sony did try a portable vinyl player without the Walkman branding in 1983, though it was a commercial failure).

Back to this week's poll, I'm glad someone wrote-in Non Non Biyori, which would be at the top of my list for shows that need a third season (although would it be a "threepeat" version of the same year?) and I would have written it myself but I was only going to vote for or write-in series that never got a second season on TV. Same goes for Haruhi Suzumiya, although I suppose if you want a sequel season that doesn't squander half the episodes on a silly gimmick, that sort of hasn't been done yet. ;-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
It will never happen, but I voted for a sequel of Flowers of Evil.

Me too. They even teased it in the final episode of the first series. That show was a Lynchian masterpiece of adolescent angst and having read the manga I'd have loved a second season in the style of the first.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5