• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Movies That Need Licenses ASAP

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Ah I see. That's a bummer. Thanks for clarifying. So that means Anchor Bay can't do anything about it until they get the okay.

That was, like, late 90s/early 00s. Well over a decade ago. I believe I recall someone (a prominent anime blogger perhaps?) contacting them to inquire about it a few years back, and being told that they no longer held the license anymore. Don't remember the source or how accurate that is, but it's been so long since those plans fell through that I would not be surprised if they really didn't have it anymore.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Suena wrote:
Midorikawa has put out a lot of lovely stuff besides "Natsume"

Such as? I'm all ears. All I see in her Encyclopedia page is Natsume and Hotarubi.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Anchor Bay originally bought New World's Roger Corman catalogue, which included the "Warriors of the Wind" version of Nausicaa and the "In the Aftermath" version of Angel's Egg. Riding the wave of fan protest over Disney at the time claiming "no more Ghibli!", Anchor claimed THEY were going to re-release a dual-language version of Nausicaa and Angel's Egg, so there, since they had the movies.

Ghibli's answer on Nausicaa was short and to the point, and that spoiled Anchor's plans for Egg as well.

Ah I see. That's a bummer. Thanks for clarifying. So that means Anchor Bay can't do anything about it until they get the okay.

Aside from Anchor Bay not being around anymore, it meant that even an imported Japanese movie still belongs to the Japanese studio/producer, and that's who you license it from.
Just who has Egg today, I'm....not sure.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Went with Overlord, The Devil is a Part Timer and Nozaki-kun. At least Overlord and Nozaki are recent enough that there's still a chance for more. Unfortunately Devil is probably not going to happen by this point Sad
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
It will never happen, but I voted for a sequel of Flowers of Evil.

Double Mangekyo wrote:
I would like to see a sequel to The Ambition of Oda Nobuna among other things.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about it. At the end of the last episode there was an indication that we were getting more anime.

Covnam wrote:
Unfortunately Devil is probably not going to happen by this point Sad

I agree. I really like that show.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Already imported High Speed LE because as a die-hard MakoHaru fan I was NOT going to wait if Funimation would license it or not. Totally worth it since it came with a poster which has the main four underwater; so cute!!

I remember watching Piano no Mori fansubs years ago and, honestly it sucks how that's the only way to watch new anime films that aren't owned by Aniplex of America or a major franchise like the Love Live or Dragon Ball. Not even Netflix has that many anime films or the Japanese live action ones.

Tiger and Bunny, Nozaki-kun, and all of the shoujo manga based anime desperately need a sequel IMo.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Aside from Anchor Bay not being around anymore, it meant that even an imported Japanese movie still belongs to the Japanese studio/producer, and that's who you license it from. Just who has Egg today, I'm....not sure.

Well that defeats any chance of it ever getting a home release of any kind. If only this could have been organized better, then by now everyone could have enjoyed Angel's Egg. This is one taste of "heaven" we'll never have.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Am I really the only want Tamako Market's movie sequel Tamako Love Story to be licensed? Even Beyond the Boundary has a movie sequel that people want more... Wait, Beyond the Boundary has a movie sequel?

Shows that need a sequel?
Haganai. The source material is complete so a little something to finish it off would be nice.
I'd love to see a continuation of School Live more than High School of the Dead though I wouldn't complain about the latter one getting one.
Nobunagun. Go on, you know you'd love it.
Monster Musume. There's enough material now but going the OVA/Book tie in is not the way to go about it.
Kokoro Connect. Because reasons.
Ditto Good Luck Girl. Isn't it terrible when series have last episode new characters that are integral to its source series? But then, Nadeshiko, my favorite character from the manga, was a background character throughout even if the series itself stopped one episode/chapter from her introduction. Really, if you know you're not going o do it, why bother teasing her in the first place?

A number of incomplete series listed in the poll don't need a sequel, they need a full on reboot in order for it to work. Honestly, most of them would be shows I'd vote against getting a sequel.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Am I really the only want Tamako Market's movie sequel Tamako Love Story to be licensed? Even Beyond the Boundary has a movie sequel that people want more... Wait, Beyond the Boundary has a movie sequel?

No, you are not alone. Even though I have not watched it, I want Tamako Love Story released on BD. I did not bring it up because it is fairly new, and I am sure Sentai wants to license it.

I am curious about the Beyond the Boundary movie sequel, but it is very low on my priorities.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I totally agree on Angel's Egg. That film is far too important in regards to Japanese animated films not to have an official release. In the past I'd perhaps be more pessimistic about the likelihood of that ever happening, but with more obscure anime films finally being rescued and released as of late (Belladonna of Sadness being the most recent example I can think of), I hold a bit of hope for one that can at the very least be marketed with the tagline: "from the director of Ghost in the Shell."
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of uncut anime films, Windaria, anyone? Oh, and the Japanese Highlander. And just to see what it's like, Arion. As for tie-ins, I'd like the Slam Dunk and 2000s Fist of the North Star movies to get picked up already. And there's one that should be license-rescued by now, but it's been stalled for a while. The second Yu Yu Hakusho movie. Plus, since they did finally bring over Belladonna, can we get the original versions of Mushi Pro's Arabian Nights and Cleopatra next, please?
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Angel's Egg is one of the very few movies I'd be willing to pay $30+ for a blu-ray of.

The new poll was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be, but the only MUST HAVE on the list would be Spice & Wolf. Sadly, it's also the least likely of my choices to actually get another season.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I would like to see Mind Game show up one day. It's one of those movies that gets praised by people that I've always wanted to watch.

Blood- wrote:
One of my top picks for an anime license in NA would be for Asura, which I saw at the (sadly, now defunct) Waterloo Animated Film Festival in 2012.

No way! I didn't realize that it stopped happening. Unfortunately, I was never able to justify the 40-minute drive, let alone school/job commitments getting in the way.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I think a big one that's missing is One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island. Considering that FUNimation's re-releasing all of Mamoru Hosoda's films as part of a deluxe collection, missing out on that movie when they have the One Piece license is a strange omission.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Really surprised no one had put Re:Zero on the list. Had to scroll through it a couple of times to make sure I wasn't just missing it. Whatever. I'm not the biggest fan of the show, but it was good, and a continuation would make it even better, from what I've heard from readers. I want to see that happen. And not in 3 or 4 years...

There might not be enough material yet...

They could always ditch the LN and go based on the web novel. But anyway, I don't think that would perturb anyone who is a fan from putting it on the list.

Buster Blader 126 wrote:
I would like to see Mind Game show up one day. It's one of those movies that gets praised by people that I've always wanted to watch.

I'm almost positive that was on Netflix for a while. I have horrible memory, but I think that's where I watched it about a year ago. Obviously not as good as owning it, but it was legally available to watch, at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5