• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Girlish Number

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:39 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I'm starting to feel as though this series would have worked better as a film. My interest in these characters' lives and personalities started to fade somewhere in the middle of the fourth episode, and I'm beginning to get sick of the show's tired and cynical tone (although I suppose I have no one to blame for that but myself, considering how up-front the show has been about its worldviews).

I also can't shake the sensation that the writers have tipped their hand a little too early with regards to the show's central themes, and its unclear whether the series is going to continue to hammer in its points or go off in a new direction.

Exactly my point. This anime has been teasing a bigger turning point which still hasn't come, even if it's super melodramatic, I want it now.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Exactly my point. This anime has been teasing a bigger turning point which still hasn't come, even if it's super melodramatic, I want it now.

I'm wondering if this is part of the point, though it's a little early to say for sure. The idea may be that the industry appears as something unsustainable, that should fall apart under its own dysfunction, but somehow trundles on despite itself (or due to some factor not yet fully revealed yet by the show).
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Everything ended in a drunken mess at the Kusure after-party, where we learned that at least one of the troubles Kazuha drinks away is her relationship with her mother. Between Kazuha's anxiety, Momoka's career conflicts, Koto's age, Yae's insecurity, and Chitose's own lack of upcoming roles, it seems nobody is leaving this production without regrets. That's bad for them, but great for Girlish Number - the more this show adds nuance to its stars' feelings and conflicts, the stronger it will be.

Are we really accepting "oh no, I'm almost 30" and "I drink because I hate my mom" as nuance now?
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the end result is a ruthless competition where potential talents can easily be discarded for reasons totally divorced from their voice acting ability.

I'd say this is half true, it's not that someone is discarded regardless of there voice actor talent, its that so many people want to break into the industry that it can afford to look at other aspects. So you can have someone whose an excellent voice actress or someone whose an excellent voice actress AND is also young and attractive. It's often portrayed as if pretty but bad voice actress were taking the job of good voice actress, but that's not it at all, its just that the talent pool is so good and large that even limiting your choice to only good voice actress still leave you lots of room to maneuver.

Also, how the heck did the show get green lighted for an S2! I'd say if there's an aspect of the industry worth looking at its that apparently turd get S2 while very promising show never do and perfectly good LN never get anime adaptation in the first place.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
This episode reminded me of a recent watch of Stratos 4 (not a great title, by the way). One of the extras on the DVD release was a video of a couple of days that the three main seiyuus and director (and producer, I believe) spent on the island that served as the real life inspiration for the location in the anime. I remember thinking at the time that it was an awfully expensive proposition (air fares, hotel accommodation, per diems, etc) just to get some bonus material. I wonder if there were some budget shenangians going on? Hmmm. I wonder if this sort of thing still goes on these days. I rather doubt it. Stratos4 is from the early 2000s when I think anime production was a little more flush than today.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Quote:
Everything ended in a drunken mess at the Kusure after-party, where we learned that at least one of the troubles Kazuha drinks away is her relationship with her mother. Between Kazuha's anxiety, Momoka's career conflicts, Koto's age, Yae's insecurity, and Chitose's own lack of upcoming roles, it seems nobody is leaving this production without regrets. That's bad for them, but great for Girlish Number - the more this show adds nuance to its stars' feelings and conflicts, the stronger it will be.

Are we really accepting "oh no, I'm almost 30" and "I drink because I hate my mom" as nuance now?

If it were presented that way, maybe not. But considering that those were brought up in a realistic and nuanced way, I don't see that as unacceptable. The age consideration is especially salient for the reasons Nick mentioned. And even if thinks they aren't don't make for nuanced characters, Nick said it makes them more nuanced, and even if they don't by themselves make them nuanced, they do push them in a more nuanced direction. I'm thinking Kazuha and Momoka are going to get even more fleshed out next week anyhow, if the preview is any indication.

@meiam it got a second season because they made it with two seasons in mind. Like they said, it isn't necessarily related to the quality of the first season. Now they might get an worse budget for that second season but they were going to get that second season almost no matter what.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
This episode reminded me of a recent watch of Stratos 4 (not a great title, by the way). One of the extras on the DVD release was a video of a couple of days that the three main seiyuus and director (and producer, I believe) spent on the island that served as the real life inspiration for the location in the anime. I remember thinking at the time that it was an awfully expensive proposition (air fares, hotel accommodation, per diems, etc) just to get some bonus material. I wonder if there were some budget shenangians going on? Hmmm. I wonder if this sort of thing still goes on these days. I rather doubt it. Stratos4 is from the early 2000s when I think anime production was a little more flush than today.

According to this show, Kuzu P was taking out 5, 6 million yen a month over three months for "promotions" meaning he has 50,000 to 160,000 dollars to "play around with" so the Okinawa trip was a justifiable business expense. No, really. Well, he's claiming he spent it all so you can't ask for a refund and if the show's a failure, it's more the animation production's fault, not his... This has been reminding me of the Producers more and more each week... Also, he wanted to be out of town before he moved on to his next project.

So, while this series is based on a work from an anime outsider, it probably just means he can say things an anime like Shirobako wouldn't want to admit or even consider. In short, this author clearly got these ideas from "somewhere". Also, the money's not in the anime directly but the cross promotional events like, just throwing this out there, idol grooming. As for me, I'm wondering how much these young voice actresses are getting paid for these extraneous activities or if all these things are part of their voice acting contract. "Until this show is over, we own you. Sing when we tell you to sing, dance when we tell you to dance." If so, I'm impressed by how evil the whole process really is.

But I got to admit, I loved the slingshot gag. And it does make the whole swimsuit shoot much easier to do... by making it more like it's the women's "choice" to wear a swimsuit as long as it's not one of those.

Quote:
With the ostensible goal of “shooting bonus features,” he sends the cast southward largely to avoid the terror of his own superiors, as Kusure's budget tightens and production continues to fall directly off a cliff.

Wasn't the point of that scene to show how much money Kuzu P took compared to the promotional amount allotted for the following season? I don't think the budget was exactly his concern. "Look, look, I'm validating the figures in the ledger. You can't expect to put this girls in swimsuits in Tokyo in the winter, right? All this takes money, money, money... Money!"

In nice convenient round figures... How much do you think Kuzu P "rounded up"?

Also, the first season's done so new season, new cliff. It'll probably be better.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Hehhhhh I though this episode was a bit boring and formulaic, in large part because Chitose wasn't there. Like it or not, Chitose is actually far more mature than both Kazuha and Momoka and it would have been great if she was around to bring both of them back down to earth and place things back in perspective.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Hehhhhh I though this episode was a bit boring and formulaic, in large part because Chitose wasn't there. Like it or not, Chitose is actually far more mature than both Kazuha and Momoka and it would have been great if she was around to bring both of them back down to earth and place things back in perspective.

Um, what?! In what way is Chitose more mature than Kazuha and Momoka? She is clearly the least mature character in the show. Well maybe second least, after Kuzu. Down to earth she ain't either.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:00 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Um, what?! In what way is Chitose more mature than Kazuha and Momoka? She is clearly the least mature character in the show. Well maybe second least, after Kuzu. Down to earth she ain't either.

Can you really say that after this episode? Where Kazuha got into a big shouting match with her dad over nothing and Momoka run away like a little kid hoping mommy would pay attention to her? Chitose know what she wants and work toward it, she meant moan the entire time but when she think something she clearly says it, she doesn't hide behind others and she take actions by herself. She doesn't delude herself about her job and the state of the industry.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:43 am Reply with quote
She deludes herself all the time. She thought she was doing a great job acting in the beginning of the series (the in show one) until it was made abundantly clear that she was sucking hard and actually had to work on it, and even then not enough to be actually good but merely passable. And then she went back to thinking she was a bigshot until the fans shat on her performance all over social media and Nico Nico, to which she replied by crying like a small child and avoiding social media like the plague but eventually getting over it and reverting to hot shit mode. Not only is she delusional but she doesn't learn. Momoka and Kazuha both generally carry themselves more professionally than Chitose does, and I have and continue to argue that Chitose does not "know" the industry and her profession but rather shallowly apes how she perceives someone in her position acts, usually the worst elements or someone near her (Momoka generally).

And to the episode, she skips out on the trip that she finagled her way into because she overslept and proceeds to blame her brother, who she seems to treat as a servant/gofer and potential disgusting siscon (not my opinion on them, just how he- and other similar characters- are treated, though not wrongly in some cases). She then too transparently tries to get some souvenirs out of it.

On the other hand Momoka is concerned that her parents, especially her mother, don't care for her as their daughter but only as a product, as evinced by their reaction to the swimsuit episode and her suggestion the she would try more risque stuff being only concern with the professional image she was cultivating and not concern that their daughter was being exploited as with Kazuha's parents. She is also only 17 (which I only found out this episode Embarassed ) so the occasional immaturity is forgivable.

Perhaps Kazuha's issue with her father was more due to a failure to communicate than deep disagreement with her life choices, but to her it certainly seemed like the latter, which is definitely something that would justifiably make for a shouting match. She is hardly the only adult which has had such a shouting match over what seems like nothing. Heck even countries do that occasionally.

Now perhaps you could argue that at least in those instances they could have been more mature, but I don't think you could argue that those incidents didn't cause them to mature. Where has Chitose shown such (lasting) growth yet? Hopefully she does soon.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
But Chitose never willingly cause problem for other people whereas both Momoka and Kazuha do. When it was clear that she was doing a bad job she quickly corrected it and didn't blame anyone (unlike Kazuha who said the text couldn't let her properly act).

Chitose act unprofessional, but everything she did was extremely professional, Kazuha and Momoka act professional but they aren't. They let there personal feeling and problem get in the way of there job all the time. Even when Chitose was feeling down from the negative reaction she still carried out her job without problem. When the swimsuit event happen she quickly understood what the point was and didn't go back on it just to ultimately agree. Chitose really understand the industry and how it work and why fan go to event and such.

Chitose is direct, she doesn't beat around the bush and try to coax people into doing stuff, she flat out ask for it. Working with people like that is an incredible blessing because you don't have too constantly wonder what they're thinking, you always knows. And that's true maturity.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
She has caused problems unwittingly though and I don't think that won't be an issue going forward. Perhaps those two have caused problems in the past one or two episodes but those issues have been resolved, yet Chitose's hot shit mode has still not been fixed. And the acting issue was only fixed the bare mininum. The fans weren't wrong to shit on the subsequent performances and it is also the reason she has little to no work in the industry even unlike Yae who is of the same amount of experience. And she totally blames other people for her own faults all the time, especially her brother.

And on the swimsuit thing, sometimes refusing the be exploited is not immature or unprofessional.

I don't buy the direct=mature argument either. Small children are frequently very direct but it is not reasonable to see them as mature for doing so. Sometimes being less direct about what you want is the more mature and professional thing.
mbanu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
And on the swimsuit thing, sometimes refusing the be exploited is not immature or unprofessional.

I think the argument is over what is considered "normal" for a voice actress. I guess I sort of would see it like a waitress at a place infamous for its low-cut uniforms refusing to wear a revealing uniform because it has nothing to do with waitressing. In some ways, this is true, but from the opposite perspective it's being willfully blind to the environment they are in and what exactly they are being offered money to do.

The argument here is that you have one character who sees voice acting as being basically a form of soft-core -- that's why voice actresses have to be pretty, good conversationalists, and all these other things that have nothing to do with the caliber of the voice performance.

Another character is saying that that's not really what being a seiyuu is about, and that it really is just about bringing life to the characters to create truly memorable anime rather than to act as masturbatory fuel for otaku and fujoshi who are willing to pay Japanese Blu-Ray prices for stuff that caters to their fetishes, even when it is poorly produced.

Fans can see this "template anime" problem in Artist Alley at cons -- selling original artwork is really difficult. The stuff that sells is knock-offs of stuff that fit into a pattern, like a character from their favorite anime doing some internet meme thing.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

This whole spoiler["Chitose is being replaced by what appears to be a Shirobako protagonist"] plotline would have a lot more emotional impact for me if it wasn't coming off the tail end of two very non-Chitose episodes.

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8