• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Music Producer Porter Robinson Debuts 'Shelter' Anime Music Video by A-1 Pictures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:

I swear, these weebs can be so damn insufferable at times. Space Dandy premiered its episodes in English on US television a full day before they premiered in Japan, does that mean that Space Dandy isn't an anime because it didn't air in Japan first? Those rules are so trite and and insult to the flexibility of animation as a whole. It actually prevents the concept of "anime" from expanding and evolving into something greater, just because of silly, close minded bias. I get a lot of enjoyment and interesting conversations out of the Reddit community, but man, screw those admins.

I seriously doubt anime is being held back because most people don't want to classify anime-influenced western stuff like music videos or Steven Universe as anime.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Shifting away from the MAL criticism for a minute (and turning to YouTube criticism, I guess), I couldn't help but notice that one of the "recommended" videos that popped up in Youtube's sidebar was an almost-two minute long video called "Is SHELTER Worth Watching?"

It had 75k views. Are people really that desperate to save four minutes that they can't just watch the original thing and decide for themselves?

Why bother watching something and form your own opinion when you can read / watch a review like a good little sheep and have someone else decide for you if you'll like something?
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:23 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Shifting away from the MAL criticism for a minute (and turning to YouTube criticism, I guess), I couldn't help but notice that one of the "recommended" videos that popped up in Youtube's sidebar was an almost-two minute long video called "Is SHELTER Worth Watching?"

It had 75k views. Are people really that desperate to save four minutes that they can't just watch the original thing and decide for themselves?

Was that from GlassReflection, by any chance? lol
I thought that was funny too. Since most of those guys are more trying to be entertainers and internet personalities than actually be informative though, it makes sense. People go to their videos to listen to them crack jokes and whatnot. What they are actually talking about comes second.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Wow, couldn't believe someone even make a video about whether Shelter is worth watching or not. I guess watching something just for pure enjoyment barely existed much anymore, or onto a more serious side, maybe humanity just becoming more involved in comedic ritual for shit and gigle. I'm sure as hell hope that it is existed for a mere comedy routine though, just like how there's too much people that found such "blablabla" review to be helpful to be some sort of a mass attempt at pointing out the ridiculousness of that particular piece.

Edit : Despite a lot of negative reception (on MAL at least), ironically, the score of Shelter has rise from 8.24 to 8.27. It has decreased once to 8.21 before but now it's up high again. Anyone know how the reception for this short in Japan?
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:42 am Reply with quote
I didn't think this was too bad of a video. I kinda liked it. But,here's the thing. I've never heard of Porter Robinson before now. I'm not as familiar with his music unlike everyone else here.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:19 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I don't think the video is that bad either and judging by the reception here, people more or less also liked it as much as we all do. I'm not familiar with Porter either as I'm mostly into melancholic, pop or heavier songs but I can absolutely appreciate his collaboration with A-1 Pictures in order to fulfill his desire of having their own anime or to satisfied his fellow fans. The storyline in the video is also great and emotional. You can watch video by Gigguk on Youtube to see a better persuation to watch Shelter over and again or watch the behind the scenes video by Cunchyroll to accumulate more respect for this work.
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I am soooooooo going to watch this and from the sound and look i will have to add to my collection
Afezeria

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Rockweaver wrote:
Hope that you enjoyed the short and the music. Don't know how long I'm gonna be sticking around here...
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:07 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
Hope that you enjoyed the short and the music. Don't know how long I'm gonna be sticking around here...

i will as i love a good story and the parts of the sound track i have listened to so far have me desiring more. I also hope you will stay with the community here. from what i have seen your love for anime is real and you contribute your views this makes the community stronger.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:47 am Reply with quote
Rockweaver wrote:
Glad to hear that. And okay, thanks a lot, I'm quite flattered. I don't know about contributing much of my view because I think it is quite too limited but I tried to do so when I could. Yeah, I guess I love anime too much that I gave so many a 10 back when I used to update my list at MyAnimeList. You can check it out if you want, the profile's name is Afezeria, I think? I don't used it anymore though. Sure, I be staying around ANN for as long as I can. I really like it here any way. Smile Hope you have a nice day, Rockweaver.
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:01 pm Reply with quote
This was such a fresh way to make a music video and the choice of the story was wonderful 2579 days with no messages over 7 years. she has memories and can feel sometimes that is all you need. i do wonder how she will get back to the world and if there is a world left to return to. or will she live a life of alone and die alone in space. perhaps he will return to this theme for his next video
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3