• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SAG-AFTRA Union Goes on Strike Against 11 Video Game Companies

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for supporting Voice actors, some of the stuff their asking for makes sense. The whole "Limit Stressful work" is something any Director worth his salt can do right. Asking for stunt coordinators makes sense, that's just a safety precaution, them asking for info about roles can be a little funky since some stuff is done later in development or improved in the booth but you could probably get a general outline working with out an issue.

BUT the part where they asked for a portion of game revenue is just silly IMO, guys who actually made the game and the key components in the dev cycle rarely get that offered to them and someone who does a few weeks of recording and, let's be honest, rarely contributes to the selling of a game, does not deserve revenue sharing.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
someone who does a few weeks of recording and, let's be honest, rarely contributes to the selling of a game

Except when the VA talent quality IS significant to the game experience, if a big budget title nets a few great voice actors that have to do the "heavy lifting" the sometimes quality talents deserves a guarantee for there efforts and so does the guy being forced to do original grunts and screams for our big budget multiplayer experience.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
someone who does a few weeks of recording and, let's be honest, rarely contributes to the selling of a game

Except when the VA talent quality IS significant to the game experience, if a big budget title nets a few great voice actors that have to do the "heavy lifting" the sometimes quality talents deserves a guarantee for there efforts and so does the guy being forced to do original grunts and screams for our big budget multiplayer experience.

I should have specified, their work rarely contributes to the sales of a game. Very, very few people are buying a game because X VA is in it, their buying it more-so for the gameplay experience.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Do these people seriously think any game that sells huge is because they are voicing a character in it? Kind of an inflated ego, don't you think?

Dunno what "make educated descision" means other than maybe knowing if they're going to voice the main character or just a minor one
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh look at all those American companies, Surprised man its a good thing anime games don't have this problem. Smile
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
BUT the part where they asked for a portion of game revenue is just silly IMO, guys who actually made the game and the key components in the dev cycle rarely get that offered to them and someone who does a few weeks of recording and, let's be honest, rarely contributes to the selling of a game, does not deserve revenue sharing.

The amount of money they get from the game revenue would be pretty small since a game that sells 8 million copies would only net them an extra $1,800 or so with the desired rate. Also, while SAG-AFTRA does have a lot of big names to it, lesser voice actors (including some people from SAG-AFTRA) would be lucky to only do just voice acting for a living; they usually have to do work other jobs just to make enough money. Yes, developers get treated horribly, but voice actors don't have it better off. Also, SAG-AFTRA winning any ground on this could be beneficial to developers too in the long run; it's not like developers really have the same kind of power to push for better conditions since they aren't unionized like voice actors are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
This isn't anime. I have never, in my entire life, bought or played a game beause a certain VA was in it. I don't even know the name of a single game VA that hasn't done some anime voice work as well. So no, I don't think they deserve part of the revenue. No way in hell.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, they have a right to strike. And the companies have a right to use non-union voice actors during the strike. It's always a matter of which side caves first, and if I were a betting man I'd put it on the voice actors folding once they realize that those 11 companies are also some of the most stable sources for their work.

Quote:
Witlin also clarified that the companies could not adopt the payment structure that SAG-AFTRA demanded as it would be unfair to video game developers working on the games but do not benefit from a similar payment structure.

This made me laugh so hard. Since when has equality in payment structure amongst varied employees ever been any sort of consideration in modern business America? That has to be one of the worst reasons that the lawyer could have said.

Last edited by Megiddo on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Important to note that SAG is actually pretty small and has something like only 25% of professional voice actor, aka if they're not willing to work company can really easily just hire other professional people (or even amateur one).

So you know, if there's anyone you dislike in it, rejoice you'll probably will never hear from them again, literally. Laughing
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
As a selfish anime fan, my only concern is whether this strike has any chance of affecting California-based, anime dubbing companies like Bang Zoom!
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Dunno what "make educated descision" means other than maybe knowing if they're going to voice the main character or just a minor one

On that point, I understand SAG's stance; what if the role is of a convicted murderer? Or if the actor is vegetarian and the role is of a fisherman or a butcher? Or if the actor is Christian and the role is of a Muslim character, an Hindu one, from a different sect in Christianity? Currently, the actors don't know enough about a role to know if they will even be comfortable enough to successfully play that role.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:

On that point, I understand SAG's stance; what if the role is of a convicted murderer? Or if the actor is vegetarian and the role is of a fisherman or a butcher? Or if the actor is Christian and the role is of a Muslim character, an Hindu one, from a different sect in Christianity? Currently, the actors don't know enough about a role to know if they will even be comfortable enough to successfully play that role.

A lot of what I've seen that proposal apply to is whether or not they'll need to make adult noises or use adult language that may conflict with a personal view.
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:

If you're an actor of any kind, that shouldn't matter at all, especially with regards to voice acting. You didn't convert to a different religion, you didn't eat meat, you didn't actually murder anyone. Acting is acting, there's nothing real about it.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

If you're voicing a main character and doing motion capture, you have the right to request some share and to fight for it. Especially in some game that gets praised for the acting.

I hope they can get as much as they can from these corporations. They've been dicking people over since inception. I'll commend anyone trying to fight back.
StrangeIslands

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I've made my opinions on unions and in particular SAG-AFTRA on this site before a while back.

But I will say what a waste this all is. A better idea/solution would be for the State of California to just pass a Right-to work law and move on. States that have these laws (Texas, Indiana etc.) prohibiting Unions from forcing workers to join a union without choice simply have better job growth/economic growth. You could argue that people get lower wages but what's often missed in this equation is that the cost of living is much, much lower in these states thus more affordable.

People also argue that laws like Right to work are anti-union. To that I say Hogwash. Unions are still in right to work states they just can't force people/non-union workers to join them as a condition of employment.

You could say that non-union workers could just look for work elsewhere if the work is a union job but if the industry work is a very specialized type of field and if most of the jobs are only unionized as well as being in a specific location of a huge state, you're kind of just left out of work entirely. Which I believe is unfair to many people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3