• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Time you can last without anime-related activities?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarsi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Let's say you suddenly had all things related to anime taken away from you: DVDs, fansubs, manga, access to merchandise, anime forums, etc., etc.

How long can you last without them?

Me? I'd say two weeks would be a long stretch for me without any kind of anime influence. As much as I'd like to watch anime everday, if anybody were to bet money on me surviving without the stuff in that time, I'd probably make it with the feeling wanting to quickly catch up on what I've missed in those two weeks!
Truered

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:14 pm Reply with quote
If it was taken away from me, and I knew I would get it back in the end, I could probably go for quite a few weeks.

However if I had to force myself to leave the stuff while still having it around me, I'd probably last about two days before I idly flicked through a volume of manga.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I can go for as long as I have to. Honestly, if I went blind tomorow, and was never able to watch anime again, I would live. I wouldnt be happy, but yeah, I would live.

Anime is a luxury, and not a nesessity. Right now Iv just started college, just moved out of my parents house for the first time. Suddenly I have to pay bills, and do schoolwork. I dont have the money to buy anime anymore, and I dont have the time to download. Im not getting... barely any anime at all right now. Maybe once or twice a week Ill veg but for the most part... yeah, Im dropping anime as a priority.

Its not that hard. TV in general is a luxury, not something I have to have. Just something I like to have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
19 days -- on a trip to the Philippines. Staying at a virtually computer-less town with relatives. Small Internet cafe down the street -- kept lookin' at it as I walked by, but never was tempted to go into it.

All I had to work with was my DS -- with Brain Age. Nothing more.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Long time. I'd still have all of this to entertain me on DVD, about 150 music CDs left, and about 250 novels and other books to read.
velocet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I think I'd miss it at first, and then just find something else to entertain me, assuming that books & music are still readily available in this scenario. Pretty much as long as I have access to a radio I'm happy in entertainment terms. Anime has never been my primary hobby, and while I'd definitely miss it, I think I'd get over it pretty quickly.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
I can go for as long as I have to. Honestly, if I went blind tomorow, and was never able to watch anime again, I would live. I wouldnt be happy, but yeah, I would live.

Anime is a luxury, and not a nesessity.

Same here. I could survive not having anime.

The blind part (considering the perscription on my glasses) would be hard to handle since I do love reading so much.
LilacShadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I think I could go a few months without anything anime-related. I watch movies and TV series that aren't anime, so I could watch those for a while instead. I honestly don't read much that isn't manga though. The only books other than manga that I've been reading lately are books for school, and I could totally live without those. Also, I play The Sims 2 and listen to music.

I think anime is sort of a necessity for me now. I honestly think I'd start to go nuts without it. There's lots of anime and manga that I really enjoy, so I couldn't go on forever knowing that I'd never be able to watch or read them again. I'd also be sad if I could come to this forum anymore.
Aoi Yuki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
not long at all, if anime was taken away... /wrists the end Sad
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Really the only anime-related activity I do it watch them. Which is something I'm able to do once a week...... At most...... Been that way since starting the new college semester and my new job. It's taking me forever just to get through Paranoia Agent, which is only 13 episodes.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:48 pm Reply with quote
As long as I wanted. My world doesn't revolve around anime and if it were taken from me it would simply be replaced. Frankly, if I answered this question with a time span any shorter than that I'd have to start re-evaluating some things.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
As long as I wanted. My world doesn't revolve around anime and if it were taken from me it would simply be replaced. Frankly, if I answered this question with a time span any shorter than that I'd have to start re-evaluating some things.

QFT. Anime is a hobby nothing more. For all of us if you can't simply go without it you might want to re-evaluate some things in your life. If you're that dependent on your hobby then you're heading into the realm of obsession and that's never good. As for me I'd simply do what I did before anime. That would be play games, listen to music, read books, hang with friends or my gf, cook, make models, and watch movies. The same things I do already along side anime. The only people I feel that should be exempt from this are those that work in the industry as that would mean they would be jobless and that's not something I wish on anyone.
Brda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Yup... if you had to, you would have no chance, but it wouldn't be much fun. I remember one time I've had to wait several months for Berserk (manga) to come out, it was torturing. Mad

Maybe, I would create my own stuff if there was nothing else.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't have a clue- considering the sheer amount of room space my anime stuff takes up, having it all taken away would leave things incredibly barren and uncomfortable.

I'm sure I'd adjust well enough- I figure I'd focus on my video games and rekindle my interest in live theatre- but for a while there, it'd be really unpleasant.
Clodus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
i believe there are exceptions to necessity and luxury. while i dont need anime to survive, it does keep me sane and without it, i think i would go seriously crazy and break down. not to bring up bad experiences but it is the only hobby i have. tv broke, no video games, internet is about all i have. of course thats not counting real life issues. i would probably last a month before it starts effecting my mood.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3