• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Happened To World Masterpiece Theater And Shows Like It?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utsugi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
ukiya_seed wrote:
0nsen wrote:
Ano Hana is moe, WMT isn't. They had the chance to update WMT, but I guess making it moe would've only turned off their core audience.

They kinda did with Les Miserables, show was really good. Kid Cosette was kinda moe.

If you want to go that route, then WMT is the ultimate moe series.

I'm half-joking here. WMT is full of adorable girls but without resorting to your usual moe tropes.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:51 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
As always, it is about money and recovering production costs, ignoring pure passion projects that are effectively money sinks or animation demos, it simply is not feasible to see a modern anime production company to regularly make mini-movies adapting foreign stories and make an actual financial return.

Which is kinda weird given that the WMT shows were produced over 30 years ago, I'm sure most of them made back their cash quadruple times over.

Primus wrote:
It always surprised/confused me that neither of the Anne of Green Gables adaptations wound up on Canadian television. Apparently the first one even get an English dub!

I love the kickin' theme tune!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJCj7HHT_LY

MarshalBanana wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:
As always, it is about money and recovering production costs, ignoring pure passion projects that are effectively money sinks or animation demos, it simply is not feasible to see a anime production company to regularly make mini-movies adapting foreign stories and make an actual financial return.
Well if there's no audience, and I mean no audience, not in Japan or overseas, it's not a bad thing. They were made in the past, because they made money. You wouldn't make something that has no audience, it's not taking a risk, it is knowingly burning money.

Spoken like a true Republican I see.

DmonHiro wrote:
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Could someone like Discotek potentially put them out if they were willing?

Allow me to speak out of my ass for a while: I don't think there are many difficulties in licensing WMT anime, since from what I gather they were made by a single company. However, I do not belive Discotek will license and release them. While vocal, the ones who, right now, would enjoy the shows enough to buy them is very small. These are anime that basically you can't give away for free, looking at download numbers. I honestly don't think many would pay for them.

We ought to be lucky we get anything from DiscoTek at all these days (for me, I was impressed they picked up Robot Carnival at all).

Quote:
However, all is not lost. Flanders, Anne and Heidi have gotten bluray releases in Japan, so there MUST be some interest in those series.

And while I'm sure it's not a perfect consolation, episodes of Swiss Family Robinson in English can be had on Amazon's video service! It's a start, I suppose.
https://www.amazon.com/The-Adventure-Begins/dp/B019EFG1MC/

Tenchi wrote:
Primus wrote:
It always surprised/confused me that neither of the Anne of Green Gables adaptations wound up on Canadian television. Apparently the first one even get an English dub!

Didn't it air in French on Radio-Canada in the 1980s and/or 1990s?

Probably, Radio-Canada and other stations in Quebec often picked up a lot of great Japanese classics the rest of the country didn't see otherwise.

ChrisInMI80 wrote:
I grew up watching the Saban adaptations of Little Women and Tom Sawyer on HBO so I've always had a soft spot for the WMT - not only WMT, but the various other anime adaptations of Western kid-lit done by the same studio (Nippon Animation), like "Maya the Bee," "Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics" and the "Manxmouse" and "Peter of Placid Forest" TV specials that were aired on Nickelodeon. I was an unusual boy - never much into Voltron, Robotech, Star Blazers or the other shounen action series that formed the backbone of most other millennials' budding fandom.

I was probably in your camp, though the difference for me was not having enough stations locally that would pick up a show like Star Blazers, and often cable TV proved to be a suitable, if not temporary home for a lot of foreign cartoons regular broadcast TV would never pick up. Nickelodeon took quite a lot of risks back then in what it played like Belle & Sebastian or Mysterious Cities of Gold. Shows that may not have tested well anywhere else, yet got a good deal of attention because it was on a network catered to a kid audience.

Quote:
Sadly there just never seemed to be much of a market for it in English-speaking North America, even in Canada where anime like Candy Candy and Honeybee Hutch were regularly aired on Radio-Canada (French-language CBC) and other French language channels.

I sorta envy that province sometimes. At least a few outside it might have had a chance at a show like Albator or Candy Candy since that network was broadcast throughout the country.

Quote:
(Mexico and the rest of Latin America are a different story.)

I bet. I'm sure it came down to economics. I once heard when it came to selling these shows to Latin American or Europe, they were often cheaper to acquire over American programs back then. It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Quote:
Contrast that to the Philippines where Princess Sarah was so popular it spawned a domestically produced live-action remake. I guess it's telling that so many of the anime from my formative years of fandom are now showing on a Christian station (Little Women and Swiss Family Robinson along with Tatsunoko's Superbook and Flying House series of Bible stories).

I was more amused at what "CBN" aired in the 80's like the second "Jungle Tatei" series Tezuka did in the 60's or a cute show called "Honey Honey". Again, cable TV, especially in its infancy, often took a lot of risks like that when they didn't have quite the penetration they would have in the 90's.

Quote:
I've always been impressed by the visuals in the WMT series, especially the ones from the '80s and later. Yes, the early ones from the '70s look rough, but by Princess Sarah and Little Women the attention to detail and fluidity in the movement in the animation is simply amazing. Swiss Family Robinson from '81 grabs attention for its eye-popping, colorful backgrounds as well. Given that, even after Miyazaki and Takahata left NA during/after Anne of Green Gables, there was still a lot of cross-pollination between Nippon Animation and the Miyazaki-Takahata core/Studio Ghibli in that era, that shouldn't be surprising. (Speaking of Anne, it's apparently a big reason Prince Edward Island gets a lot of Japanese tourists to this day - which makes the fact that it apparently never aired in Canada, at least not in English, all the more unbelievable.)

You'd think. I still find it amusing how rather familiar a show like "Rocky Chuck" is (seen in English as "Fables of the Green Forest").

Primus wrote:
Apparently it started airing on Radio-Canada in 1989. That only makes the lack of its broadcast in English Canada even stranger!

Which is funny considering Canada went out of its way to do a separate English dub of the 1980's "Astro Boy" series that was played on many stations like Global back then, the dub was based on the French version that was produced in Quebec I think.

Quote:
Apparently English Canada did get at least one World Masterpiece show: The Bush Baby. I've never been able to confirm it myself, but assuming these aren't all the same person, it looks like the show ran on TVO and Access Alberta in the 90s. ANN's encyclopedia lists two regulars of the Montreal English VA scene as cast members. The novel's author lived in Canada, so why while it wasn't a headliner, I guess it made sense?

I actually saw the opening to "Bush Baby" from a tape one Canadian sent me years ago with a whole lot of other opening title sequences from different cartoons he taped off his C-Band dish! I even saw the Spanish version of TMS' Remi and Treasure Island from their airings on Univision back in their heyday!

Quote:
edit: I did some digging through the CRTC's database and found that Bush Baby was approved as Canadian content on June 14, 1993. I guess that dub actually happened.

All to placate CRTC rulings for "Canadian Content", which is why shows like Astro Boy managed to slip through the cracks! Getting these shows either dubbed out of Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal usually gives them a pass.

Zin5ki wrote:
andyos wrote:
As a British viewer, I tend to compare the WMT series to some of the more 'literary' children's cartoons by the Cosgrove Hall studio, such as its stop-motion Wind in the Willows and later projects such as Truckers (from the Terry Pratchett book) and its feature-length cartoon version of the The BFG, two decades before Spielberg's.

You speak of Cosgrove Hall cartoons with literary aspirations, yet you decline to say so much as a word on Fantomcat? Egad, such a glaring lacuna that is!
(Avenger Penguins is perhaps a more debatable case.)

We Americans never even seen Victor & Hugo. Around here, it seems like Danger Mouse and Count Duckula is all we know, though I did love Wind in the Willows watching that on The Disney Channel back when your parents had to PAY EXTRA for it (and also another haven for forgotten toonage like Unico, SuperTed (the good show, now Hanna-Barbera's crap) or Katy Caterpillar). Speaking of Canada, "The Raccoons" never even got a DVD release south of the Great White North at all, I find that pretty bad.

kenshinflyer wrote:
But I'm really surprised when the gender-swapped version of Remi, which ws also shown on the same local TV channel as the ones previously mentioned, was originally a bust, though it gained favor with the viewers here.

While this'll be the most obscure thing I'll say, an Arabic dub of Nippon's Remi series was aired once on one American cable channel that was in limited circulation called The International Channel, people here may recall it well for it's airings of Dragon Ball Z in RAW JAPANESE that lasted for years since they aired it once a week! That was perfect!

davemerrill wrote:
Great piece on the WMT series. Always fascinating to see the Japanese interpretations of Western children's lit standards, and the odd ways these adaptations make it back to the West via TV and home video - and how the American market seems to miss out on the English-language dubs many of these shows got, from TVO airing 'Fables Of The Green Forest' right on through the dub of WMT's Christopher Columbus anime, which got at least one VHS release.

It is weird how that happen at all. I do recall Nippon's Christopher Columbus series getting airings on The History Channel during it's earliest years when they thought to air programs for kids involving history so that and Inspector Gadget's Field Trip often got played on the weekends alongside one of the French Procidis' shows. Certainly not maintstream enough I'm sure, though there is a place on YouTube that has the Chris Columbus series to view in total if you look for it. Strangely another series Nippon did, though not a WMT series that some may recall, was an adaptation of The Jungle Book that used to show up on a lot of Christian stations in the 90's.
kazekaeru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:56 am Reply with quote
Coming from Mexico, WMT anime were a big part of many people's childhood & are still quite beloved there. Heidi, for example, was dubbed & started broadcast in Mexico in 1978 & was left in circulation for over 30 years. It is one of the most recognizable series, along with others. There were many dub releases of some of the more famous (Heidi, Remi)

These are fantastic series that I'm trying to collect for the new generations to watch.
Utsugi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
StudioToledo wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:
As always, it is about money and recovering production costs, ignoring pure passion projects that are effectively money sinks or animation demos, it simply is not feasible to see a modern anime production company to regularly make mini-movies adapting foreign stories and make an actual financial return.

Which is kinda weird given that the WMT shows were produced over 30 years ago, I'm sure most of them made back their cash quadruple times over.

WMT ran out of pure sponsorship and ratings. It's not like Precure who lives off its merchandising. That's why it aired at primetime family night at 19:30. When its ratings fall off 15%, that's when it started to decline. And what killed it wasn't some other anime. It was those wacky Japanese reality tv shows.

StudioToledo wrote:

Strangely another series Nippon did, though not a WMT series that some may recall, was an adaptation of The Jungle Book that used to show up on a lot of Christian stations in the 90's.

That show was great. Would wholly recommend it. I think it even surpassed some of the weaker WMT entries.
chaccide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:30 am Reply with quote
Interesting post on Reddit anime today. A guy was looking for an English version of Bush Baby because it's based upon a book his grandfather wrote about his aunt and her pet. He found a copy and was able to watch some of his family history- the animators didn't even change the names of his family members. That would be surreal.
trescaballeros

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:16 am Reply with quote
I know a lot will disagree with me, but I prefer the gender swapped Remi from the 90s than the wangsty Dezaki Remi from the 70s.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote
Would gladly buy a complete set of Little Women. Had good pacing, hardships, and good times. Good adaptation of the book and I like the Bible teachings and lessons. Rewatching episodes from Smile of a Child, I think it aged well.
Raz_G

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I live in Israel, and the WMT shows were a huge part of the '80s generation's childhood here. They got the best treatment in translation, dubbing etc. done by the good people of our (then-only) public TV channel. They're still being broadcast on different channels here to this day, with the old dubs, and "3000 Leagues in Search of Mother" got a nice DVD release here (Hebrew-dubbed only, but with notable credit on the box to Takahata as a director).
It's a shame that there's so little interest in these shows nowdays - I think they're not just great pieces of storytelling, but also an important history lesson; the roots of many elements in Miyazaki's works, as the coming-of-age plots of "Totoro" and "Kiki", or the European aesthetic of the latter can be traced to his work on the WMT shows.
BTW - if you want an English-subbed DVD of Heidi, there is a Chinese release of the compilation films which includes English subs. Not as good as having the original 52-episodes show, but good enough.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Utsugi wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:

WMT ran out of pure sponsorship and ratings. It's not like Precure who lives off its merchandising. That's why it aired at primetime family night at 19:30. When its ratings fall off 15%, that's when it started to decline. And what killed it wasn't some other anime. It was those wacky Japanese reality tv shows.

Reality programming ruins good creativity I feel.

Quote:
StudioToledo wrote:

Strangely another series Nippon did, though not a WMT series that some may recall, was an adaptation of The Jungle Book that used to show up on a lot of Christian stations in the 90's.

That show was great. Would wholly recommend it. I think it even surpassed some of the weaker WMT entries.

It certainly does, though there were moments I felt they kept padding it a bit just to fill up enough for 52 episodes by the end. I suppose having the wolves appear distinctively cartoony (being the usual "talking animal" types we'd associate with here in the west) made for a better experience against a more serious tone as the life and death struggle for a boy in the jungle. I actually have a number of matted animation cels from this series in my collection (they have Nippon Animation copyright stamps on the back). Was pretty cool to get them as they even had the original painted backgrounds, not the usual laser copied types.

Ironically, that didn't stop the Italian sleazeballs from copying what Spain did with Willy Fog by doing another show later on, cannibalizing several characters from Jungle Book in a program that already sends out red flags because of it's title. You just know someone wanted money!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDP8JTVF9Zg

chaccide wrote:
Interesting post on Reddit anime today. A guy was looking for an English version of Bush Baby because it's based upon a book his grandfather wrote about his aunt and her pet. He found a copy and was able to watch some of his family history- the animators didn't even change the names of his family members. That would be surreal.

Still, it must be nice for someone to know their family members were once in a Japanese cartoon! That is probably the greatest achievement known to man!

Raz_G wrote:
I live in Israel, and the WMT shows were a huge part of the '80s generation's childhood here. They got the best treatment in translation, dubbing etc. done by the good people of our (then-only) public TV channel. They're still being broadcast on different channels here to this day, with the old dubs, and "3000 Leagues in Search of Mother" got a nice DVD release here (Hebrew-dubbed only, but with notable credit on the box to Takahata as a director).

Least they did that. Often names like these either get mistranslated or left out altogether.

Quote:
It's a shame that there's so little interest in these shows nowdays - I think they're not just great pieces of storytelling, but also an important history lesson; the roots of many elements in Miyazaki's works, as the coming-of-age plots of "Totoro" and "Kiki", or the European aesthetic of the latter can be traced to his work on the WMT shows.
BTW - if you want an English-subbed DVD of Heidi, there is a Chinese release of the compilation films which includes English subs. Not as good as having the original 52-episodes show, but good enough.

We have to start somewhere.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
Utsugi wrote:

Yep, though ratings for everything are down in Japan, just like everything else. Sazae-san pulls in much lower ratings than the top daytime anime did in the 1980s or 1990s, and lower than even mid-performing ones. (IIRC, Ranma 1/2 never did the ratings of its sister show in the same hour, Yawara!).

Jayhosh wrote:
And even late 80's stuff like Gunbuster that displays a more contemporary anime aesthetic at the time are still often dismissed because they don't look "new" enough. Like, they definitely look like anime, but those differing styles from more modern sensibilities still turn a lot of people off (at least from my personal experiences).

Not going to disagree with that. Even positive reviews here of older stuff feel the need to comment on and give low grades to older animation (even good for its time stuff.) But even a "WMT with modern aesthetic sensibilities" would fall into the same problem of mainstream anime isn't as popular in Japan as it used to be (and the action is mostly with niche shows for anime, and reality and panel shows for mainstream Japanese TV) and mainstream anime isn't as popular in the US (because it will generally lose out to mainstream US productions). Foreigners look to Japanese anime for something that is they can't get at home, which is part of why mainstream stuff has done better in non-English speaking markets.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Live-evil has been subbing many of these shows but they're the slowest dubbers in the world. It still allows one to get a look at these shows.
Utsugi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
Honestly, if shows like Yatterman, Time Bokan, and Osomatsu can get a revival, WMT can too.

Problem is, Nippon Animation is pretty much a zombie at this point, surviving more from merchandise rather than actually making anime. And their surviving series Chibi Maruko has been getting low ratings recently, so that may end up be cancelled too.
HeidiVonBerg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:37 am Reply with quote
ohhh america... you should not write "west" when you have no idea what's happened REALLY in Europe.
I grow up in Germany and here they had all this masterpieces series in German Dub! And I know thats lots of this Series was also in other Europe countries on TV. LOTS of the series may even ALL of this Series. French and Japan worked well together at this time and produced my all time favorite Animation/Cartoons TOGETHER!
Also in Germany lots comes out later on VHS and then on DVD, of course in German Dub (like in other European countries in there language).
I grow up with all this 70,80,90 Series. Yes we had already this Series in the 70s here and they was repeated in the 80s and 90s still, so thats I who was born in the 80s also watched it.
Also why you don't know thats lots of this Series was produced for the Europe market? Japan always tried to make Series outside them. The same like Amerika.

Specifically Heidi who is originally by a German Author, all german, swiss and Austrian people know and watched it, also they have lots of other Heidi adaptations.

Sorry for my bad englisch.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
It's a pity World Masterpiece Theater never found a fan base in The West as haveing watched a video on Progression in Akage no Anne by a reviewer I follow on Youtube made me want to at least hunt it down. But from what I can find fansubbers don't even want it. Heidi, Girl of The Alps would be another one but it's 52 episode Anime from 1974 and even having been directed by Isao Takahata I don't it would ever get released here.

It's shame there is some real good talent in the "classic" series but barring someone willing to Kickstart something I don't think any of them would ever get released. I guess it's one of those things where there who care about it but not enough to make it commercially feasible to release it.

Yeah, my impression is that westerners get into anime looking for something different, and World Masterpiece Theater comes across to me as being too close to western animated programming for a lot of anime fans to care about, or if they did, there is likely domestic programming similar to it that's easier to obtain.

Afezeria wrote:
Anyway, with the fact that there's huge lacking interest with everything children related among the online anime community and being what everything that was said already in the article, there's no chance for WMT to make surface anytime soon.

Depends on where you look. It's probably going to be hard to find english-language communities of fans of World Masterpiece Theater, but it won't be hard to find communities of fans into something meant for kids. Pokémon is a good example.

vini64 wrote:
The best aspect of these series is that they can deeply touch you, cause they're sensible and have characters you can relate to, since they go through stuff we had lived in our lives or something that really could happen to someone. You can feel exactly what they're feeling because it's portrayed in such a realistic way. You feel empathy for those characters to the point they you don't see them as simple characters - they become people close to you, whom you care and share the same feelings of hapinness, anxiety and sadness. Empathy. That's what is so fulfilling about the WMT series, the empathy that dominates you. I haven't watched every WMT series yet, but those and I did - and I hope many others I'll watch as well - are among the best and most valuable presents I ever got in my life, if not THE most.

You bring up a good point regarding empathizing with the protagonists of the WMT stories. Would children nowadays, both in Japan and elsewhere, be able to easily empathize with them?

I'm thinking about how I see, all around me, the current trend in parenting being in giving everything the child wants and spoiling them rotten because the parents want to be their children's friends. Can a child who has known no hardship empathize with a protagonist who undergoes a lot of hardship?

SaneSavantElla wrote:
Well this is a surprise. I didn't know that these shows were not received very well outside Japan. Where I grew up, these shows were (and until a few years ago still) part of regular kid's block programming in the morning. At least 5 of them were re-aired so many times there was a point I could recite the entire plot with little to no effort. Now that I think of it, I think most (except maybe five or so) of the WMT series were aired locally.

The thing is that this show is a product of its time. Maybe it would've worked when it was new (albeit probably not in the United States due to our aversion to drama aimed at kids that isn't Newbery Award literature), but that's just it--it was new at the time. It's incredibly dated now, and the only people who'd be interested are media historians, other scholars, people who grew up during that time, the curious, and folklorists (as most of the episodes are adaptations of folktales and literature).

CR85747 wrote:
The Anne of Green Gables anime might have been affected by the Montgomery people not wanting anything that could seen to be competing with Kevin Sullivan's series/films which were airing on television in English Canada at the time. (The Green Gables stories went into public domain in Canada in 1992 but the Montgomery estate has been very litigious over merchandising rights and even claims that they still have TV rights to the stories.)

Ah, politics. When something can't be explained through time, money, or politics is the next best answer.

Jayhosh wrote:
And this is exactly the realization that pains me as a general animation enthusiast. As a fan of Japanese animation and its particular history, it saddens me how obscure some really great older Japanese animation is. And even more so than general animation fans, "otaku" nowadays are mostly looking specifically for more "mature" fare, the stuff they can't usually get from western cartoons, with the kind of stories and art that most modern anime involve. When someone says they're a fan of Japanese animation, rarely are they ever talking about anything past the mid 90's (perhaps not even that old, I've talked to people who refuse to watch Cowboy Bebop or the original NGE just because of their age). That's a shame, because while fans of classic western animation aren't that prevalent as it is, the amount of people who know and/or appreciate classic Japanese animation before it was "anime" are even fewer. The earlier stuff that was inspired by the west's animation aesthetic is seemingly doomed to never connect with a large audience. EDIT: aside from Germany, apparently. Confused

Yeah, even the Osamu Tezuka stuff just cannot find an audience in the United States. The Alan Ladd adaptations of the 1960's anime worked, but everything after that? Not a chance. Even then, when an episode of that show was screened in class when I was in college, there was a lot of snickering and giggling over the values dissonance and bottom-quality animation. Most of the people in the film major didn't know who he was.

You're now seeing it happening even with American animation in the past though. Franchises like Looney Tunes and Mickey Mouse are fighting hard to remain relevant in today's culture. Kids just aren't interested in them anymore. They are their parents' cartoons.

John Thacker wrote:
People will generally prefer the similar item that is made by their own culture, simply because better cultural familiarity will make for better entertainment for most. (This is part of the same reason that sports anime don't catch on in the US; there's always been enough live action Western sports movies and TV series.) There's a lot more serialized US television in the last decade or two; consider that X-Files was very serialized for its time, but recent regular old police procedurals like The Mentalist have as much A-plot and B-plot complexity as it did. All that means is that fewer Americans are going to look to Japan for "normal but serialized" plots, especially since American media has been producing science fiction and fantasy serialized entertainment from Buffy to Game of Thrones and Westworld.

I never even thought of it that way, that sports anime has problems catching on in North America because there's plenty of western stories about these sports already. I had long suspected anime caught on for its exoticism, but I never gave the thought of its opposite, that series that don't catch on often are because there's a domestic equivalent already.

I'd like to mention that over this decade, there's been a lot of western animation aimed at kids that is at least semi-serialized now. You have direct serials like the 2011 Thundercats, you have off-and-on serials like Gravity Falls, you have shows whose characters undergo long-term character development across seasons but is otherwise episodic, like Friendship Is Magic, and you have shows that are fully episodic but will change the status quo when needed, like The Amazing World of Gumball.

I remember back in The Simpsons episode "A Milhouse Divided" that Milhouse's parents remained divorced by the end of the episode and would stay divorced in later episodes. The writing team, according to the commentary, considered that groundbreaking for its time. Now, The Simpsons is used as an example of a show that reinforces the status quo because viewers nowadays expect more inter-episode and inter-season continuity whereas it came from a time where there was none (or even negative continuity) except in soap operas because channels would rerun episodes in random order.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
HeidiVonBerg wrote:
ohhh america... you should not write "west" when you have no idea what's happened REALLY in Europe.
I grow up in Germany and here they had all this masterpieces series in German Dub! And I know thats lots of this Series was also in other Europe countries on TV. LOTS of the series may even ALL of this Series. French and Japan worked well together at this time and produced my all time favorite Animation/Cartoons TOGETHER!
Also in Germany lots comes out later on VHS and then on DVD, of course in German Dub (like in other European countries in there language).
I grow up with all this 70,80,90 Series. Yes we had already this Series in the 70s here and they was repeated in the 80s and 90s still, so thats I who was born in the 80s also watched it.
Also why you don't know thats lots of this Series was produced for the Europe market? Japan always tried to make Series outside them. The same like Amerika.

Specifically Heidi who is originally by a German Author, all german, swiss and Austrian people know and watched it, also they have lots of other Heidi adaptations.

Sorry for my bad englisch.

Still, you had a good childhood anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5