• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Female Anime Directors Worth Checking Out

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
New Poll: I voted Skip Beat. Kyōko's misadventures of outperforming spoiler[her former love crush] can get quite hilarious every now and then. Wink
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Nice list, but I thought people didn't like Kon. Umineko is pretty despised, and i remember reading a review ( I think it was for golden time) that basically said the show struggled to be good in spite of the poor direction. I would have put Atsuko Ishizuka on the list. Hanayamata and No Game No Life were really great, and I've heard positive things about Pet Girl. Her use of color is pretty striking too.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
Nice list, but I thought people didn't like Kon. Umineko is pretty despised, and i remember reading a review ( I think it was for golden time) that basically said the show struggled to be good in spite of the poor direction. I would have put Atsuko Ishizuka on the list. Hanayamata and No Game No Life were really great, and I've heard positive things about Pet Girl. Her use of color is pretty striking too.

She didn't just do Umineko, she did the first season of Higurashi as well, which was leagues better.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
I think it's just supposed to be Kon, since the topic is Chiaki Kon. Perhaps ANN's publishing software strikes again, changing something from what the author intended to something the software knows it can link.
Yeah, this does seem to make sense. Wonder why this didn't occur to me, since I seem to recall seeing something similar happen to Satoshi Kon's name in another article.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Rie Matsumoto is an international treasure! I love her dynamic style. Kyousogiga was amazing, and she made Blood Blockade Battlefront pop with energy. This list can't help but remind me of the guy at Ghibli who claimed that women wouldn't make good anime directors because they are too focused and rooted in the realistic, and how very, very wrong he is. Kyousogiga and BBB are incredibly fantastical in their direction. And they are gorgeous!

Why can't we vote for more than one option in the poll? When it comes to recommending manga, it's all about knowing a person's tastes and what they're looking for in a story. If a guy were looking for humor, I'd recommend Ouran High School Host Club. If he loved action stories, Basara by Yumi Tamura would be a great choice. Or Fushigi Yugi: Genbu Kaiden by Yuu Watase. If he wanted an interesting take on vampires, Black Rose Alice by Setona Mizushiro is one of the best shojo manga I've read in years (unfortunately, it's incomplete). In any case, "shojo manga" is too broad a category to choose just one to recommend. There are so many great series, I don't even know which one to add to the poll.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Am I alone in not caring what gender people are? I like Directors that are good at their jobs. I don't look at their gender at all. It just doesn't matter.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Am I alone in not caring what gender people are? I like Directors that are good at their jobs. I don't look at their gender at all. It just doesn't matter.

While I don't disagree that it's ultimately unimportant, female anime directors are still pretty uncommon. We're still at a point where it's rather noteworthy whenever it does happen, and that combined with the fact that they do generally bring with them a notably different "touch" to their shows than that of most male anime directors, I don't see the distinction going away anytime soon.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Can you please put Clamp's X to the new poll? When I was a teen, a female friend recommended me to try X. I was like "No way I'm liking this series". However, I enjoyed it a lot and I'm a bit sad about its cancellation.

it's one of my favorite series of all time. I still wish to this day they would give us the ending to the manga. The tv series, not the movie, was marvelous, and while I liked the ending to the anime series I would like to see the ending the ladies at Clamp envisioned. I might as well wait to see what happens first though, the ending for X or weed being legal in the US country wide. Probably the latter.
navycherub

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:23 am Reply with quote
Just reading the titles of things Rie Matsumoto has directed practically makes my eyes tear up. She is incredibly talented.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:40 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:
I think it's just supposed to be Kon, since the topic is Chiaki Kon. Perhaps ANN's publishing software strikes again, changing something from what the author intended to something the software knows it can link.

You know, I never even thought of that. I've seen some other cases of it doing that, most notably if an anime is just someone's given or family name and someone else happens to have that name.

doubleO7 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

While I don't disagree that it's ultimately unimportant, female anime directors are still pretty uncommon. We're still at a point where it's rather noteworthy whenever it does happen, and that combined with the fact that they do generally bring with them a notably different "touch" to their shows than that of most male anime directors, I don't see the distinction going away anytime soon.

There is also the frame of Hollywood's distinct lack of female directors. I remember reading in a Los Angeles Times article that for movies, female Hollywood directors are in the low teens for percentage by population (and actuallly trending downwards), albeit it's on a strong upswing for television. (There are similar reports for non-whites too.) Logically, they should be roughly evenly proportional to men and women who live in the area, but they're not.

Much of Hollywood is driven by old white men, and I'd imagine the anime business is ruled by the elderly as well. There's also the Japanese concept of a woman quitting her job once she gets married.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:18 am Reply with quote
I picked Card Captor Sakura. Everyone should watch/read Card Captor Sakura, regardless of age or gender.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
Simon definitely deserves to be number one for the strongest mecha pilot the dude's just unstoppable. Cool
quaton

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Both Free! series mix a perfect blend of muscular fanservice, emotional storytelling, and a sprinkle of pulse-pounding sportsmanship.

I'm very surprised to read this because the Free! series is quite poorly constructed in my view. The first series had some pacing issues leading to the finale but otherwise it was pretty decent after it had stopped with the unpleasant running gags and the story kicked in. The sole dealbreaker was the finale: Despite the sports setting it was an insult to real sportsmanship. Breaking the rules and taking someone else's place in the competition is far from what I consider fair behavior. It was even treated as something positive instead which is a definite no-no.

Its sequel took a considerable dip in quality. I remember that the main character and his team suddenly stopped being relevant for half of the show and the characters behaved incomprehensibly, sometimes even contrary to their personalities established back in the first season. The director also tried to tie in more subplots this time but failed to deliver in an emotionally satisfying manner with all of them. The show's tone got a lot more serious due to the future theme but the execution was half hearted, to put it nicely. The increased amount of fanservice for the shipper crowd should've been used to portray the characters', especially the main character's, emotional development more distinctly instead. It honestly felt like the director was more interested in showing pecs and adding shipper fuel scenes than delving deeper into the characters. At the end of the sequel I found myself disliking almost every character although I had my share of favorites back in the less ambitious but much more coherent first part.

The Free! series is amateurish at best but then again it was the director's first project so I guess that's to be expected.
WingKing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:26 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
For the new poll. I picked Honey and Clover(which I always thought was josei, for some reason), mostly because, as a guy, it really resonated with me.

No you were right, it is josei. So are Chihayafuru and Nodame Cantabile, which are also in the poll. Some people just conflate the two because they aren't really paying attention to the difference.

kevinx59 wrote:

I like Ishizuka myself, but her work is kind of divisive - not everyone's a fan of her saturated art style, or her choices of projects. And of course NGNL was plenty controversial for other reasons, though that's an issue with the source material, not her. Personally I'd be curious to see what an original series from her would look like, since she's only directed adaptations so far. The one original work of hers that I've seen was a music video from 2004 (Tsuki no Waltz) and I really liked it; I thought it was stylish and imaginative. That might not happen unless she starts taking more freelance work, though, since Madhouse rarely does anime original TV shows anymore - Death Parade is the only one I can think of in this decade.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
This is a pretty good list. I liked it. But,since an earlier comment of mine vanished,I'll try again. These ladies sound pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if someday,some of them were asked to direct some American cartoons. It has happened before. Osamu Desaki directed some episodes of "Rainbow Brite,""Bionic Six,""Visionaries,"etc. Also Masaaki Yuasa also directed an episode of "Adventure Time" called "Food Chain." So,it's not entirely unheard of. It'll be interesting to see how they'd handle an American animated series or film. I'd certainly love to see that. Wouldn't the rest of you?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4